• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

W2 sujihiki with Keller handle and Burke saya SOLD

jdm61

itinerant metal pounder
This is a 280mm forged W2 suji that has been hardened to around 63Rc. It is a sharp mutha!!! The handle made by Stefan Keller out in Hawaii from stabilized koa and has a blond buffalo horn ferrule and buttcap. The saya is poplar and was made by Eamon Burke out in DFW. SOLD
View attachment 313974

Last edited:
Okay. As the other listings in this section go into a bit more detail about the methods of construction, etc. of the knives, I guess that i should do the same. This knife was forged from a 1 inch round bar of Hanson W2. it was heat treated in Parks 50 with clay and tempered at 375, which is a fair bit lower than where I would temper a W2 bowie or fighter. I did not etch it, so tha hamon is arather faint but visible.This is a user. That HT also means that the blade is around 2 or so points higher in the RC scale than my bowies or around 63. It makes for one tough, sharp knife that will take a hold a very fine and stable edge. I took the edge down to around .005-.006 out toward the tip and under .010 at the heel before it was sharpened. The grind is a compound grind. The knife is around .100 or around 2.5 mm at the spine and tapers out all the way. It was flat ground and taken down to around 1mm at the edge and and then it was convex ground very shallow from the .005-.010 edge up about 1/3 of an inch. it was them flat ground from that convex section to about the bottom of the ricasso and then everything was blended in during the hand sanding. What you end up with is a VERY shallow multi-plane "flat convex" that is thin behind the edge, but will still release food. It was hand rubbed to a 100 grit finish and then sharpened professionally (not by me) on a series of Japanese water stones to a VERY sharp edge. This is an early effort by me as far as ktichen knives go, but it is a serious slicer. i spent over 6 months on the kitchen knife forum listening wto what those hardcore guys want out of a knife before I ever even attempted one and according to the one guy from that forum who has handled and sharpened this one, i did pretty darn well for a "new guy." (7 years making knives, but new at the kitchen knife game makes me a new guy over there. lol) Listening does pay off, I guess.;)

Last edited:
This one is SOLD!!!

Last edited:
Whoever is getting this is one lucky guy. The handle alone is over $150.00 add a hand forged blade and it is a heck of a steal

Back