• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

W2 Tool Steel 2" Rd

Update on post #247

Well folks, I'm ready to start shipping W2......again :) I have 2" round stock from the same melt as the other rounds I sold. This is my favorite steel and I've tried it all, this stuff will produce some super crazy hamon, lots of activity. And is a Super performer.
See my old W2 thread for much info.

Spec.s

C .95,
Mn .22,
V .19,
Cr .15,
Si .23,
Mo .013,
Ni .08,
Cu .14

This is Big stuff, a 1.5" long piece of this 2" W2 will make a giant 12"+ blade :D

I'm cutting these bars 11" long to fit a Flat Rate box and they weigh 10 lbs each.

4 bars (40lbs) for $140 shipped Priority Mail in the US. Sold out, More later, Thanks!

Paypal address: info@sunfishforge.com
Check or money order is fine also.

Don Hanson
PO Box 13
Success, Mo 65570

Thanks Much!

Last edited:
And a recent blade forged from this steel :)

riad24.jpg

Folks, I just check my steel book and 11" of 2" round is equal in weigh to 10 feet of 1/4" x 1.25" :)

Just a question...I dont forge yet but plan on it in the future so I might want to stock up...my question is could I use this size steel if I didnt have a power hammer or a press?

Jim, a press or power hammer is recommended. But at 2" dia, a 1/2" to 1" piece can be cut off and forged by hand into a pretty good size blade. It is doable.

Hey Don.

You know I can't resist a great deal:eek:. Sent you a paypal. You interested in swapping for some O-1??:D:D

Jim, a press or power hammer is recommended. But at 2" dia, a 1/2" to 1" piece can be cut off and forged by hand into a pretty good size blade. It is doable.
Only if you have slaves to act as strikers.......lol.

Thanks Chuck !!! No 01 for me, I'm strictly a hamon type guy :) But 01 is a Great knife steel.

Hammer, Press, Hammer, Press, Hammer, Press,

Joe, a 1/2" slice 2" in diameter would be fairly easy to forge out by hand.

But like Chuck, I would much rather use one of my power hammers :D

Mo fun and way faster.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm going to be busy this week.

Not a problem on the O-1. You got me hooked on the Hamon thing. Now I just need to practice.....

In his most recent thread, Kevin Cashen said that W2 and 1084 are designed to be worked with the "simplest of tools" As long as you have fast oil, you are good to go with this stuff. It is easy to get a nasty sharp edge even using basic heat treating. (been there, done that) But you do have to worry about alloy banding if you aren't able to soak it for a little while.

Joe, that nasty sharp edge is one thing I like about W2, the super fine grain makes this possible.

14 boxes so far and a few more to go. Then maybe I can work on knives again :D

Thanks folks, keep em coming, I can handle it :)

What the Heck.. Happy birthday to me.I will take 2 more Don. Paypal on the way. Like the other box no big hurry. Get to it as you can.

Hey Don,

May have asked you this (in a previous life/thread) but can you get that shipping rate for APO addresses as well?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

Yes I can send to an APO address but I'm not sure of the price, the USPS site is confusing in this area. I will check with my PO later today and let you know.

Thanks,

They have a special APO/FPO flat rate box. The New larger one 12x12x5.5 for 10.95. It is normally 12.95. It does not look like you can use the 8.95 box for APO/FPO shipping, could be wrong though. still 11 bucks for shipping 40lbs of steel can't go wrong there.

May be a wight limit to APO over seas. I'll find out this afternoon.

Folks, I've been shipping 4 or 5 boxes every day since last Friday, but I got a bit behind and mixed up, was trying to ship in order of payment received but some later orders got out before some earlier ones. I should be completely caught up by tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks Much!

Back