W2 vs 5160

Hello, newbie here and had a question regarding W2 vs 5160. This would be for a bushcraft/survival knife and I was looking for opinions on the 2 steels and which would be better. I have several knives in 1095 and D2 and a couple others but am looking to have one made for me.

Is one better than the other? Form my basic internet searching they seem to have similar properties but I can’t find a head to head so to speak.

This would be used for general bush craft and camping use and fire prep. Any hell would be greatly appreciated. Also it would be about a 5” blade and 3/16” width with a drop point design if that helps at all.

You may be limited to what steels your chosen maker has or which he has experience with. Have you talked to a maker yet?

W2 is best for a hamon but 5160 or 80CrV2 would offer better toughness.

I agree, I have chosen W2 on a Fighter/Chopper and Camp knife fixed blade combo and they look great with the hamon (profile pic of Chopper). If you dont care then I still agree with Larrin.

W2 for a prettier blade if you opt for a hamon, the little bit of chrome and the 0.6% carbon in 5160 make it a little, little bit more rust resistant and very tough. The extra carbon in the 80CrV2 can give a great blade, much like 1084. For basic bushcraft, with utility in mind, I would pick the 5160, but with a higher grit finish. You might have to sharpen a bit more frequently, but worth it. 2nd choice is 80CrV2, but not by much, 3rd would be W2, again not by much. All are great tool steels.

Ok thank you all for your responses!! It has helped a lot. I will look it up but what is a hamon?

Ok I just figured it out. I don’t have a preference one way or the other regarding a hamon. Thanks again!

I like 5160, tough and takes a good edge. 80CrV2 is another tough steel. I think I prefer L6 over W2, that's just me. You can't go wrong with any of them, as long as the maker does a good heat-treatment. In the end, it's your choice.

Thanks!!
I like 5160, tough and takes a good edge. 80CrV2 is another tough steel. I think I prefer L6 over W2, that's just me. You can't go wrong with any of them, as long as the maker does a good heat-treatment. In the end, it's your choice.

Back