Walkabout 1-7-13

Diesel D

Tow Mater
So, today has been one month that I've moved into my house on the family land in the middle of nowhere. We've been busy unpacking and settling in and Christmas and chasing an 11 month old around. Also, it's nasty winter here in Indiana, but this morning I finally got out for a bit and just sorta hiked for a couple hours. It is, after all, the whole reason we moved to Gods country..
walkabout1-7 (2).jpg
So I'm on 9 acres which attaches to my parents land(100 acres) which attaches to forestry property(25,000 acres) this is half mile walk from my house, my dads' back field. The snow revealed deer tracks crisscrossing everywhere, as this field alternates between beans/corn/hay. Turkey season opens late April, and I've seen several beauties here as well. I do believe I shall attempt to bag a big Tom this year.
walkabout1-7 (5).jpg
Like I said..they've been all over foraging for the goodies the field offers.
walkabout1-7 (6).jpg
So I'm through the field and headed into the woods. It's 33 degrees. I'm loving being out here on the land I grew up on. How many people get to say that when they're 40? By the way, Since it's snowy and muddy, I was just walking, so I packed light. My Yuma, water bottle, folding limb saw, and my S&W 5906, but the pistol mostly because I'm working on various concealed carry methods, and it was a good opportunity to try 'em out.
walkabout1-7 (7).jpg
The cabin my younger brother and I built 24 years ago. It's in serious disrepair, and mostly used as a hunting blind now, but a certain talented knifemaker I know has offered to help me replace it with a shelterhouse this summer.
walkabout1-7 (12).jpg
The view of the cabin with the pond. Normally I'd have my M-18 with me, but ironically Todd has it to send it out for duracoating. So I had my limb saw in case the trail was blocked. Didn't need it though.

Last edited:
walkabout1-7 (11).jpg
I know, pics or it didn't happen. So here's the Yuma in front of the cabin. Like I said..I was just getting the lay of the land and didn't use it, but after seeing the kind of stuff Mistwalker and AIG post, I'm thinking this weekend I'm gonna come back and try out my firestarting skills, of which I currently have none.
walkabout1-7 (8).jpg
Just past the cabin, the path goes onto state owned Forestry. Didn't bother with it today, but in dryer weather I will. I've roamed these woods since I was a kid, and since it's Sunday and the Colts don't kickoff 'til 1,I just thought I'd share.

Being Jeffs (DD) good buddy, let me add that both he and I took a chance a couple of years ago and transfred jobs together. We both had a big picture agenda in mind. Jeffs was to move closer the his folks place in hopes to build his dream house on his family land to raise his at the time unborn son. Mine was to free up time to spend with my family and to kick off a more self relliant profession, in other words, give this knifemaking hobby of mine a real shot. Man buddy, look where we are today.I couldn't be happier for Jeff, and even though he has had his plate full, he has never not helped me when I needed it. Thanks bud. Congradulations on your new place! And thanks for all you've done for me!

I'm impressed - nice looking land and you took pictures of it in the future!

Great looking spot. Nothing compares with heading out the back door into something like that. Sounds like things are working out great.

It's a nice piece of land for sure, good to see you moving about it too Jeff.

Back