Walking Sticks in the Forest of Unknowing

O Lay Hee Hoo

When I was in my teens and twenties and thirties I used to watch those guys with their fancy walking staffs, on the same forest trails as myself, and wonder why? Too much Tolkien? See any Dragons about, Mate? The REI group, space blankets, freeze dried food packets, and women companions who did not shave under their arm pits.

A lot of those guys watched Star Trek and belonged to the Society For Creative Anacrochism. (sic)

To me, a staff was like a Pith helmet, useful but few really worked them out and had any business with one. I remember being in Joshua Tree National Monument (It's a National Park now) climbing a mountain on a permanent trail.
This was before the skateboarders in neon day-glow tights had the highway blocked, berfore the Quartz Crystal Crowd and all the climbers going over the same steps, every handhold published in a book. Basically, it was the high desert before too many people had found it.

I met two hikers on the trail, and one had a walking staff. They stared at me warily. I'm not sure why. I don't remember if I was armed or not, which was illegal, or maybe it was just the look in my eye and the Panama campaign hat a Marine had given me. I was a desert Loon.
They set out on the trail and I bounded across country to the summit. When they arrived, there I was, sitting quietly, meditatively, as if I'd been there for hours. Smartass.

I'm older now, and I'm wondering if a staff might spare the busted disks in my back. It won't be a carbon fiber aircraft aluminum take down staff with compartments for matches, a compass, knife, first aide, and a microwave dish that cooks the bacon in camp before you arise in the morning. I did see some of those for sale as I researched walking staffs this afternoon. (except for the bacon) And I saw many hand carved staffs worth anything from 30 to 300 bucks. But I did not see much data on staffs other than length and where to find Diamond Willow.

Diamond Willow is protected in Montana, and might be protected in all the lower 48. I had some- my first walking stick experience. It was given to me, and I learned my first lesson about walking sticks; if you save portions of the bark and areas of permanent injury on the stick, you will add beauty and character. I didn't know that and carved down to heart wood. Oh well. There weren't any diamonds on the wood anyway. They probably came from a species of willow and in an area that contained true Diamond Willow, but this wasn't it. It turns out Diamond Willow is actually a number of fungi species injuring many different kinds of Willow, leaving marks that are attractive when re-finished.
I'm not sure that was understood when 'Diamond Willow' was protected. We're actually protecting fungal injury to willow plants. And if left alone and uncut, the inner beauty will never be seen by man or beast, but instead a ugly twisted lichen encrusted plant in a swamp.

I had a choice of cutting my willow to fit me or give my oldest son a stick. He got the stick. What was left was too thick for me and after refinishing I gave it to a friend.

So I haven't actually tried a walking stick yet. I have about ten pieces of timber around the house now, cut from Chokecherry. It's tough stuff and I hope it works. My wife is thrilled by the mess. She walks by the pile every night when she gets home.

"Why don't you strip the floor, and refinish that?" She asked, "That's wood, too."
Obviously, she has little artistic sensibility and working knowledge of the outdoors. A ski-pole girl.

So, I have some debarked chokecherry branches. I notice the balance can be changed by removing material and in how the wood was initially cut. A bottom heavy balance would be no good for walking long distance, as you must swing more weight upwards with each stride, but it seems to hover over the ground and plants well. I wonder if someone more 'stove-in' than myself, who does not hike far, would be better off with this type of balance? I'm heading for the fat end on top, bottom end skinny. This swings easier but you must take more care in putting the tip down firmly if you intend to put weight on the staff, while climbing, for instance.

One of my future staffs seems to balance well right in the middle. Is this of martial arts usefullness? I'd like to know. There are many here, such as Yvsa, who have experience with walking sticks- please let me know what you've found. I realize Rusty is master of the weighted cane, but I intend to actually walk and not just stave in heads or car doors; though a staff could do those things as well.

I see there is the possibility of having more than one hand hold on the staff for different purposes.

In my search I came across people using pool cues for walking sticks. That next to the ski pole or high tech rod leaves me flat.
No, no hi tech for me. I'm going to be one of those Forest Loons now, with a khukuri by my side, perhaps a 41 mag, and a walking stick.

And I do own a Pith Hemet. You just never know when you're going to run into one of those Goddurned Dragons.

munk

To set matters straight, my cane isn't weighted. It's just made from galvanized steel pipe and then textured with epoxy over that to look like a blackthorne stick. I carried it into St. Mary's, and it worked. No one looked past the stick to notice the slight bulge in the right front pants pocket from my airweight Bodyguard.

Whats to make? It's a stick.

Are you getting fancy on us Munk? ;)

If I ever made one, I would try to find Oasge Orange, or White Oak, maybe turn it on a lathe, perhaps a little wood burning. I dont go for the natural, imperfect, carved, look. I like something symetrical and plain. That could be a fun project.

I always have a walking staff when backpacking. It helps you get up the ups faster and down the downs slower (with less impact on the knees). When crossing creeks on rocks or logs, it prevents unplanned bathing (if only of the feet).

It is also a pole for my tarp and a reach-extender for balancing the bear bag.

Wacks brambles outen' the way.

My favorite now is white ash and sized so it fits under the armpit at an angle on brief stops (Not tired; just takin' in the view.)

I'd like to see pics when you get it done, munk:) Rusty's mendowood cane post caught my eye a year or so back and got a cheaper pre-cut blackthorn look alike from mendowood.com. it's too short for me to use a cane, but i use it for protection at the office. it sits behind the counter where one might expect a sawed off baseball bat. I would think thrice before i went toe to toe with someone packing a big ol' blackthorn, but what they don't know is that it's massive steel club. A blackthorn club could kill ya, these mendowood canes will make dental records dang near useless;) I love it. i carry it around the office on St. Patrick's Day threatening my employees with it. By threatening i mean lightly jabbing in a playful manner. By empolyees i mean employee and he's one of my best friend's younger brother, thus like a brother to me....so no hate mail, plz;) j/k.

Jake

Jebadiah_Smith said:
Whats to make? It's a stick.

If I ever made one, I would try to find Oasge Orange, or White Oak, maybe turn it on a lathe, perhaps a little wood burning.
Jeb, it's much more than just a stick, it's a companion that helps you along the way.:p
And Osage Orange or White Oak may be alright fer a strong youngen but they are too damned heavy for us old crippled up farts who have trouble getting around.
I have a few sticks and a cane. The cane is a Combat Cane from Canemasters made from Hickory Heartwood and it would be too heavy if it were a walking stick and especially any larger around.
I also have a beautiful walking stick made from Wild Cherry that's one of my favorites. It's top heavy and a formidable weapon if need be, also good for prying up rocks and logs too see what's under them.
My favorite though is my River Cane Walking Stick/Flute combined.
It is also slightly top heavy because of the about 2" ball I mounted on top.
Being River Cane it is very light and also very strong, another formidable weapon but not as effective as my Wild Cherry stick.
And with it also being a Flute it fulfills my requirement that I must always have a Flute with me where ever I go. I have a small ceramic 3 hole Flute that I can wear around my neck when I want too walk with my other sticks, saves carring a Flute Bag around.:D
All of my sticks and canes have rubber tips on them. Saves getting the end all splintered up and isn't slippery on hard slick surfaces like concrete and terrazo.;)

Rusty said:
To set matters straight, my cane isn't weighted. It's just made from galvanized steel pipe and then textured with epoxy over that to look like a blackthorne stick. I carried it into St. Mary's, and it worked. No one looked past the stick to notice the slight bulge in the right front pants pocket from my airweight Bodyguard.

Rusty, some folks might argue that your cane is actually a cleverly disguised bludgeon :D , though I'm sure such thoughts have never crossed your mind. :eek: ;)

munk said:
One of my future staffs seems to balance well right in the middle. Is this of martial arts usefullness? I'd like to know. There are many here, such as Yvsa, who have experience with walking sticks- please let me know what you've found.

munk
Munk my River Cane stick is slightly top heavy, see other post, but not by much.
Personally I think it's what a person likes and gets used too.
My Wild Cherry stick can be turned upside down and swung with great force, or held normally for a good poking stick.
I'd like too have a stick made from Sassafras Root but trying too find one long and straight enough is nigh impossible.
Sassafras smells really good.:D

Hey Yvsa I am sure you have covered it before but what is the deal with the flute. Sound like something interesting and I would like to hear about it (there may be others that would also) if you wouldn't mind. Thanks my friend.

Mark Nelson said:
Hey Yvsa I am sure you have covered it before but what is the deal with the flute. Sound like something interesting and I would like to hear about it (there may be others that would also) if you wouldn't mind. Thanks my friend.
As there are many Pipe Carriers there are few Flute Carriers. The Pipe and the Flute can be used for prayers by their respective carriers.
Like my name it is a great responsibility.
About all I can say about it here.;)

Since St. Patrick's Day is coming up, I'll repost this site:

http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/AEmblem/Shillelagh.html

I have a slightly tall cane (height allows me to pull myself forward, more than lean on it for support.) from a downed cedar, with a 12 gauge brass at the tip. Some neighbors had a dog that wanted to protect the road I sometimes walk. We had a quiet discussion about right-of-way. :)

Yvsa said:
My Wild Cherry stick can be turned upside down and swung with great force, or held normally for a good poking stick.
I'd like too have a stick made from Sassafras Root but trying too find one long and straight enough is nigh impossible.
Sassafras smells really good.:D

Apple wood is stout stuff too and if it breaks you can always smoke meat with the pieces. :)
Now when you say Sassafras Root, are you talking about the root only, or the stem of a young tree with a root ball for the knob? Just wondering. . .

Stephen

Stephen Hamilton said:
Apple wood is stout stuff too and if it breaks you can always smoke meat with the pieces. :)
Now when you say Sassafras Root, are you talking about the root only, or the stem of a young tree with a root ball for the knob? Just wondering. . .

Stephen
Root only Stephen. I found a piece that might make a cane down in Eureka Springs Arkansas and was surprised at the size of the root although I shouldn't have been. I know the roots get quite large from buying Sassafras root in the stores locally for tea sometimes when it's available, haven't seen any for a mighty long time though.:(

Kismet--I've had similar conversations with dogs in the dark of night. A large walking stick seems to transcend all inter-species communication difficulties.

Yvsa--I've got a walking stick made from sassafras wood, but not the root. My understanding is that Sassafras has been found to be slightly carcinogenic, hence the relative dearth of sassafras for tea these days. It's a shame, because it sure tastes good.

Josh Feltman said:
. . .
My understanding is that Sassafras has been found to be slightly carcinogenic, hence the relative dearth of sassafras for tea these days. It's a shame, because it sure tastes good.

Have you tried Sumac?

I agree with Thomas' use for bramble whacking and knee relief. I have a 6' Sotol which is sturdy and light. Picks up snakes at a safe distance too.

I have a cold steel purple heart in my truck that works for walking and knocking down coconuts. ;)

I have been forced to walk with a cane so here is a pic of a few of mine.

sams said:
I have a cold steel purple heart in my truck that works for walking and knocking down coconuts. ;)

I have been forced to walk with a cane so here is a pic of a few of mine.

Ha! One of those "canes" looks suspiciously like a khukuri, Sams.

(Hi Cane?)

Back