Wanna See Some S125V

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Not real sure what compelled me to make this jump at this time, but it has happened.
I had 24 blades in 2 separate patterns waterjet cut from some CPM S125V plate .156" thick.
I was going to make 5 of each pattern to have for Blade Show but quickly sold 3 after showing some pictures on Social Media and I am keeping one for myself.
I will still have 3 of each pattern available on my table at Blade.

First is a pick of the stack of blades as they came to me from being cut out.

125Vblades.jpg

This is a shot of the knives that will be available in a couple weeks at Blade, the 2 on the right are not available.
These knives are also a bit rough as the grinds are just roughed out with 36 grit and the handles have not been finish sanded yet.

S125Vall.jpg

If you notice these knives are not stamped.
I have upgraded to start etching my name, and I will also be etching the knives with S125V on the side opposite my mark.

This third picture is a grind I am trying out purely from a performance standpoint.
It was ground to a High Flat with a Hollow Ground edge.

S125Vgrey.jpg

I have a vision for this grind and I hope that it works out.
I really like the thin edge and the thinness that I get behind the edge of a hollow grind.
What I don't really care for is how quickly it comes out to the full thickness of the steel and cutting performance starts to suffer.
With a High Flat grind you get a very gradual increase in cutting resistance because the media being cut is wedged at a much more gradual rate.
The last thing that should occur from this a lack of food stickage when used in the kitchen, hopefully.
I am hoping that I have adequately combined these 2 grinds in an effort to boost cutting performance.
I have not tested or cut anything with this knife yet.
The above knife is currently not sharpened, but is ground to .005" before sharpening.

As some of you know, I sharpen all my knives with the same methods, stones, and compound. This makes it very easy to compare cutting edges and styles since there is typically only a very few thousandths difference in edge thickness. I can not yet speak to the edge retention yet, but i can say that I really like the way it cuts.
I did a little rope cutting comparing S125V with 10V and the S125V was much more aggressive in the way it sliced through the rope; making cuts through 3/4" manila with almost half the amount of cutting edge as the 10V. S125V also glides through cardboard with an effortlessness that I have rarely seen which makes it a pleasure to use.
I recently trimmed the fat and sinew from some steak and that was a enjoyable experience as well. Zero resistance and very, very little meat wasted. It was cutting with the efficiency of my 1/16" thick 10V boning knife with a near zero grind.

So, in short, the performance is there once the knife is finished; but getting it to that point is another journey in itself.
On average I am using 4 times the amount of consumables and nearly 4 times as much time to finish each knife.
Obviously this translates to a considerable increase in cost, which even I was not expecting.

Thanks for taking the time to read this narrative.
Questions and comments are welcomed.

Thanks

Big Chris

Always fun to see someone take a different approach. Looking forward to testing reports as your experiment continues.

I think that if you can deliver that increased performance there will be folks willing to pay for your extra effort. :)
The bummer is that it will really hurt if you have to scrap one.

S125V is different than anything I have ever cut with also, it's just different, hard to really explain.

Chris, what about an S125V version of the muk? Would that kind of knife benefit from this steel?

Nice work, Chris.

Thanks.

Always fun to see someone take a different approach. Looking forward to testing reports as your experiment continues.

I think that if you can deliver that increased performance there will be folks willing to pay for your extra effort. :)
The bummer is that it will really hurt if you have to scrap one.

Thanks Fellas.
Sometime I really want to push the cutting performance envelope past the norm and this is one of those efforts.
My hollow grinding skills need a little fine tuning but I feel that I am on the right track for enhanced performance.

S125V is different than anything I have ever cut with also, it's just different, hard to really explain.

That is a very true statement. A bit hard for others to understand until you cut with it.

Chris, what about an S125V version of the muk? Would that kind of knife benefit from this steel?

The steel is so difficult to work it it's hard to say.

Would love to see a piece of this steel in a 3 1/2" EDC. Nice work, sir.

+1.

And I really hope that Chris would eventually be able to source 0.1" or even thinner stock, for an ultimate compact slicer. A thin S125V Nessmuk would be fantastic as well

Last edited:
I would really like to have some that is thinner as well.
However, with the difficulty in manufacturing and rolling I doubt that it will get much thinner from the mill. Also, because the alloys in S125V and the volume of alloys it is near impossible to drill and saw. Due to this the steel has to be waterjet. I would like to make some smaller knives as well and may do that in the future if I am able to get more of this grade.

Back