1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Recommendation? want to cut an opening hole in griptilian

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by nick060200, Jul 31, 2019.

1. nick060200

nick060200

Jan 18, 2017
    I have a doug ritter griptillian. m390. I love this knife, but it has the little stud to open it and i want a hole instead. does anyone do this kind of work? suggestions. I don't want to attempt it myself.

2. jacksterp

jacksterp Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Suggest you sent it to Benchmade for a blade swap.

3. scottc3

scottc3 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Let us know how jacksterp's suggestion works out. BKC policies might prevent say a hole deployed 20cv blade from being purchased through the custom shop.
    Try members Josh at razor edge knives; BigChris; Tom Krein Just searched on Tom and saw posts from 2016?
    Certainly consider thinning blade stock out while these custom knife smiths have it.
    Of course you can buy a custom grip as you requested in 20cv (or other steels), or use a Hogue Doug Ritter RSK MK1 G2 as the donor m390, to keep your Ritter Grip stock. I'd say it is a great time for this hobby!

As a wise old italian from the brickyard said "the question is not how fast do you want to go, it is how fast do you want to spend."

4. scottc3

scottc3 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2014
    just went over to Tom's website, he reports having closed books, including regrinds, because he has plenty of work in front of him
    http://www.kreinknives.net/faq/

5. Daedric Panther

Daedric Panther Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2019
    I know you said you were wary of doing it yourself, but if you have a drill press and a titanium coated (better yet carbide) 1/2 inch twist drill, it would likely be very easy to do in your garage.

Otherwise, I’ll consult Benchmade

6. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    Drilling a hole in hardened steel is tedious, noisy, and a right pain in the neck. Go the makers subforum and search the services offered.

7. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    Wire EDM would work great if you can find a shop to do it.

8. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    I'm not sure how well a round hole would work on that blade. You should draw the hole where you would want it on the blade, and then see where it sits when closed. It might not be that easy to open. A long thin oval might work better

9. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I looked into this once... it was going to cost more than the knife was worth, and this was a much more expensive knife than a Grip. Would have been about $300 at the shop I checked who would have even bothered with it.

10. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Do not forget that drilling a hole in the blade depending on size,may weaken the blade

11. sickpuppy1

sickpuppy1 Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2018
    And the heat generated may discolor the metal. I dont know....Making a hole in the spine big enough to be usable is gonna make for a very thin blade. Is it this particular knife or the style knife that is drawing you in? I have a regular style Grip and mini grip, but like the thumb hole used on Spydies. So I ended up gettting a 550hg and a 555 to get my fix. But those blade are designed that way and the spine is decidedly bigger to begin with. I do love em though.