Recommendation? want to cut an opening hole in griptilian

I have a doug ritter griptillian. m390. I love this knife, but it has the little stud to open it and i want a hole instead. does anyone do this kind of work? suggestions. I don't want to attempt it myself.

Let us know how jacksterp's suggestion works out. BKC policies might prevent say a hole deployed 20cv blade from being purchased through the custom shop.
Try members Josh at razor edge knives; BigChris; Tom Krein Just searched on Tom and saw posts from 2016?
Certainly consider thinning blade stock out while these custom knife smiths have it.
Of course you can buy a custom grip as you requested in 20cv (or other steels), or use a Hogue Doug Ritter RSK MK1 G2 as the donor m390, to keep your Ritter Grip stock. I'd say it is a great time for this hobby!

As a wise old italian from the brickyard said "the question is not how fast do you want to go, it is how fast do you want to spend."

I know you said you were wary of doing it yourself, but if you have a drill press and a titanium coated (better yet carbide) 1/2 inch twist drill, it would likely be very easy to do in your garage.

Otherwise, I’ll consult Benchmade

Drilling a hole in hardened steel is tedious, noisy, and a right pain in the neck. Go the makers subforum and search the services offered.

I'm not sure how well a round hole would work on that blade. You should draw the hole where you would want it on the blade, and then see where it sits when closed. It might not be that easy to open. A long thin oval might work better

Wire EDM would work great if you can find a shop to do it.

I looked into this once... it was going to cost more than the knife was worth, and this was a much more expensive knife than a Grip. Would have been about $300 at the shop I checked who would have even bothered with it.

Do not forget that drilling a hole in the blade depending on size,may weaken the blade

And the heat generated may discolor the metal. I dont know....Making a hole in the spine big enough to be usable is gonna make for a very thin blade. Is it this particular knife or the style knife that is drawing you in? I have a regular style Grip and mini grip, but like the thumb hole used on Spydies. So I ended up gettting a 550hg and a 555 to get my fix. But those blade are designed that way and the spine is decidedly bigger to begin with. I do love em though.

Back