Warning: Bestech Warranty Change & Clones

To clarify some misunderstanding:
-The installed customer base owning Bestech Knives will be serviced when they have a warranty request; proof of purchase available or not.
-The changing policy is to protect/warn customers, resellers and the brand that there are clones out sold by resellers who don't care for their customers.
-In my opinion there is nothing wrong for a knife buyer to inform you self about the source of your knife. Especially when the pricetag is suspicious.
-Bestech has their own production facility; hence they produce their products themself. So not produced by WE Knife. Bestech themself produce for well know brands, just as WE Knife does.

I've owned a few Bestech knives and used there customer service/warranty work once.

All of the knives I've bought from them were exceptional for the money. The warranty work was quick with little questions asked. Its a shame they need to deal with this now being a relatively new knife maker.

good info thanks....

and wow some of the Chinese are cloning and harming their own........even budget quality like bestech. no line some wont cross for a buck.......is what it is. glad I'm aware now. thank you.

To clarify some misunderstanding:
-The installed customer base owning Bestech Knives will be serviced when they have a warranty request; proof of purchase available or not.
-The changing policy is to protect/warn customers, resellers and the brand that there are clones out sold by resellers who don't care for their customers.
-In my opinion there is nothing wrong for a knife buyer to inform you self about the source of your knife. Especially when the pricetag is suspicious.
-Bestech has their own production facility; hence they produce their products themself. So not produced by WE Knife. Bestech themself produce for well know brands, just as WE Knife does.

I actually don't know what you are currently saying. What you said in the first post of this thread was 1. Customers need proof of purchase for any warranty work to be covered and 2. Not only do customers need a proof of purchase, they need a proof of purchase from an authorized reseller.

If your intent was simply to protect/warn customers, then a simple press release that does not change your warranty policy would have worked. Instead, you have created almost insurmountable barriers to warranty work.

Press Release from Bestech: Changed Warranty Policy
Important Announcement
Yangjiang, Guangdong, China, September 17th 2018 — Recently we became aware of the fact some resellers (especially on Ebay & Amazon) are offering Bestech products for prices that are not possible. We have all reasons to assume these products are not authentic Bestech products. We are fully commited to expose these practices in cooperation with our partners

To protect our valued resellers, our company and our customers, we have changed our warranty policy with immediate effect. When a customer has an issue or problem with one of our products which is warranted, the customer needs to include a proof of purchase (like an invoice) of one of our authorized resellers.

With immediate effect we started the proces of authorization of our resellers. All authorized resellers are listed on our website under the section Dealers. Not only direct buying resellers but also resellers who buy at our distributors can be authorized. All resellers are informed.

Customer who wants to buy Bestech products, please better be informed about the status of the reseller who you intend to make the purchase.

OEM customers approached by Bestech
Important Warning

Also a serious warning for our OEM customers/companies. Some of these are approached by email and/or phone by people who pretend they are representing Bestech Knives to get production orders. Please make sure you are dealing with our company and not an obscure clone manufacturer.

Kind Regards,
Bestech Knives Team
QFP

good info thanks....

and wow some of the Chinese are cloning and harming their own........even budget quality like bestech. no line some wont cross for a buck.......is what it is. glad I'm aware now. thank you.
It was just a matter of time. Should see a crackdown in China soon reminding the thieves to only clone foreign designs!

Hmm...i think some of you have your priorities misplaced. Last I checked a receipt or proof of purchase was required by nearly every retailer to make a return or product exchange. Why is it any different for a manuafacuter if they ask for the same.

I guess their second option would be to confiscate any knockoff clone sent to them for service and destroy it then send you a “We’re Sorry” notice, but I’m pretty sure you’d complain about that policy to. In the war against counterfeits you cant make everyone happy.

Hmm...i think some of you have your priorities misplaced. Last I checked a receipt or proof of purchase was required by nearly every retailer to make a return or product exchange. Why is it any different for a manuafacuter if they ask for the same.

I guess their second option would be to confiscate any knockoff clone sent to them for service and destroy it then send you a “We’re Sorry” notice, but I’m pretty sure you’d complain about that policy to. In the war against counterfeits you cant make everyone happy.
This isn't for returns. It's for warranty work. Name an established company that requires proof of purchase from a valid retailer for that.

That second option is actually fairly common and seems to be what a lot of US companies do when you send a clone in.

Last I checked a receipt or proof of purchase was required by nearly every retailer to make a return or product exchange. Why is it any different for a manuafacuter if they ask for the same.
That may be common practice at Wal-Mart or Macy's but it's not common among knife manufacturers. I've never had a knife producer require a proof of purchase to service or repair a knife. I bought a used Spyderco here on the Exchange that I knew had issues and I wasn't able to fix them. I sent the knife to Spyderco with full disclosure that I'd bought the knife used, had no receipt from an authorized re-seller and they still made the knife right. That's stellar customer service!

What Bestech is doing is failing in their due diligence to root out the counterfeits and placing the burden on their customers.

"Recently we became aware of the fact some resellers (especially on Ebay & Amazon) are offering Bestech products for prices that are not possible. We have all reasons to assume these products are not authentic Bestech products."

That's not acceptable. If they suspect counterfeit knives on The Bay they need to buy some of those knives, disassemble them, learn how to identify real from fake. That's what Spyderco, ZT, Benchmade and even other reputable Chinese manufacturers have done and continue to do. All Bestech has is a "suspicion" based on price with no real research to back it up. That's lazy and that's bad customer service.

This is a total cop out on the part of Bestech and I won't be buying any more of their knives with this policy in place. I'm all for fighting counterfeits but not if the manufacturer places all the liability on the consumer.

naw, im okay with them using some sort of policy to protect themselves and us to a limited degree.

some feel that way, I dont. I think some of the dislike is the way it could read is bestech cant figure out whats real and what isnt. so the owner has to prove or lose. not saying it is that way but it could be interpreted that way.

I'd rather get the real product and authorized dealers setup isnt a bad way to protect us.

All this does is guarantee I will never purchase one of their products.

As for the "clones" ... I would not be surprised if the alleged clones are Bestech seconds or thirds that should never have left the factory.
Don't the scum that make clones only clone popular models of well known brands?

All this does is guarantee I will never purchase one of their products.

As for the "clones" ... I would not be surprised if the alleged clones are Bestech seconds or thirds that should never have left the factory.
Don't the scum that make clones only clone popular models of well known brands?
seems nowadays they'll clone/copy etc anything that sells. regardless of brand or model.

Press Release from Bestech: Changed Warranty Policy
Important Announcement
Yangjiang, Guangdong, China, September 17th 2018 — Recently we became aware of the fact some resellers (especially on Ebay & Amazon) are offering Bestech products for prices that are not possible. We have all reasons to assume these products are not authentic Bestech products. We are fully commited to expose these practices in cooperation with our partners

To protect our valued resellers, our company and our customers, we have changed our warranty policy with immediate effect. When a customer has an issue or problem with one of our products which is warranted, the customer needs to include a proof of purchase (like an invoice) of one of our authorized resellers.

With immediate effect we started the proces of authorization of our resellers. All authorized resellers are listed on our website under the section Dealers. Not only direct buying resellers but also resellers who buy at our distributors can be authorized. All resellers are informed.

Customer who wants to buy Bestech products, please better be informed about the status of the reseller who you intend to make the purchase.

OEM customers approached by Bestech
Important Warning

Also a serious warning for our OEM customers/companies. Some of these are approached by email and/or phone by people who pretend they are representing Bestech Knives to get production orders. Please make sure you are dealing with our company and not an obscure clone manufacturer.

Kind Regards,
Bestech Knives Team

What about everyone that has already purchased Bestech knives and thrown away the receipt.

Why can’t Bestech tell a knife is real or fake by just looking at it?

The only reason why would be the factories that are producing for Bestech are making more than they are supposed to in order to sell on their own and thus the “clones” are actually identical to Bestechs.

Sounds like a problem Bestech should fix on their end rather than screwing their customers over.

...Why can’t Bestech tell a knife is real or fake by just looking at it?

The only reason why would be the factories that are producing for Bestech are making more than they are supposed to in order to sell on their own and thus the “clones” are actually identical to Bestechs...

I'm not accusing anyone of anything but this is the only circumstance I can think of where such a policy would make sense.

Wouldn't it be nice to know that the knives you buy aren't manufactured by the same OEMs that make clones - if only it were possible....

I'm not accusing anyone of anything but this is the only circumstance I can think of where such a policy would make sense.
I mean where do you draw the line on a clone I guess is the question?

If you look up Wayeah Knives & Tools Co which lists the same address as WE Knives there are definitely some kit carson looking knives and quite a few fixed blades with very similar handle milling and talon holes to a Busse.

Does it have to have the trademark to be a clone?

I mean where do you draw the line on a clone I guess is the question?

If you look up Wayeah Knives & Tools Co which lists the same address as WE Knives there are definitely some kit carson looking knives and quite a few fixed blades with very similar handle milling and talon holes to a Busse.

Does it have to have the trademark to be a clone?
Oh, I wasn't even talking about them cloning. Only that factory seconds or additional production being sold as "Bestech" would be a possible validation for such a warranty policy.

When a customer has an issue or problem with one of our products which is warranted, the customer needs to include a proof of purchase (like an invoice) of one of our authorized resellers.
The installed customer base owning Bestech Knives will be serviced when they have a warranty request; proof of purchase available or not.
I like you, henkh, but you can't have it both ways.

What do you mean by "installed customer base?"
Going forward, will warranty issues ever require a proof of purchase?
If yes, under what conditions?

Please be specific because your statements could reasonably be construed as contradictory.

Back