1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

WARNING: Pekko Nilakka Folder!!!!

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by hollowdweller, Oct 13, 2012.

1. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    Mine did both

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the chipping a little better in this pic

2. Bill1170

Bill1170 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Those last pics also give a good sense of just how thin the edge is. Thank you.

3. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    I think the problem is being too thin. Hardness does not seem to be an issue.

In testing, I'm at .010/ 011 edge thickness and 30 degrees inclusive and had no problems with oak this morning (day 3). I've been "sneaking up" on the edge thickness about 3-4 thou per day and experienced chipping on the stock blade and the first two days. We'd like to keep the edge as thin as possible and still be able to carve hard wood. We're also assuming one knows how to carve wood.

Last I read, Yab was at about 7 thou? and cutting ok?

sal

4. sodak

sodak

Mar 26, 2004
    A microbevel will probably take care of this. I've got thinner knives in D2 and they incurred worse damage with similar usage, but a small microbevel took care of it easily.

5. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Yep. I left it at 7 thousands, and 20° included, although I'd have to take that up to 30° or higher for hardwoods. I've used it for all the rough shaping on the same block of basswood that trashed it the first time.

6. pwet

pwet

Feb 13, 2009
    quote myself from the other thread, not sure the steel is not part of the issue, s30v isnt the steel that shows the most edge stability ...

7. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Just so you will know, the factory edge on the Nilakka was about 5° per side for a total of 10° included angle, not 10° per side. My previous experiences as well as this one tell me that is straight razor territory.

8. slimshaneee

slimshaneee Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2008
    I have a nilakka. It is a great knife.
    It is too bad the design and manufacturing of such a nice knife is being overshadowed by this problem.
    I only hope I can get ahold of a few more of these ultra thin ones.

9. slimshaneee

Jun 24, 2008
    Woops, repeated myself

10. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    It is a beautiful knife, and I really enjoy using it. But when the edge of a $200 knife can't stand up as well as that of a $0.34 single edge razor blade, I think that is a problem that needs to be addressed.

11. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Would a chisel ground blade work better on this knife? I'm serious.
    Thanks for all the positive comments. This folder is a great design.

12. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Define "better". Not being a chef, I personally find chisel grinds simply annoying on anything but a wood chisel.

13. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Are not Scandi grinds chisel grinds and Scandis excel at cutting wood, no?

14. slimshaneee

Jun 24, 2008
    I do appreciate the discussion and this being brought to light. I put a small bevel on mine almost before I cut a thing thanks to this thread. Saving me lots of trouble, so thank you.

I also pulled off the clip and sanded the sharp corners off of the hole under the clip so it would go in and out of the pocket nicely. That sharp corner was hanging up on the way in and out of my pocket.

15. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    Not an expert but pretty sure chisel = flat on one side and angled on the other, whereas Scandi = angled on both sides, in which case, no, scandi and chisel do not overlap

chisel
    [​IMG]

scandis
    [​IMG]

16. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Thank you kreole.
    Rolf

17. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    I'm not sure what mine is now but this AM I whittled thru a knot before I left for work and no problems.

However I still think something like 3v would be a better steel for this knife. Seems like the S30V and thin edge tends to dull more easily.

18. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    HD- Can you please post a pic?

19. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Thanx much for all of the communication. Thanx Yab, I think that might be too thin for "general" customers. I'll make my final decisions this weekend. Then we'll mod all of the pieces and begin shipping.

Hey Slimshaneee,

If you really want a "stock" one, you'll have to contact sales or me to get one.

sal

20. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Thank you Sal.
    Slim- If you are going to order a "stock" Nilakka, order an extra one please.
    Rolf