1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

WARNING: Pekko Nilakka Folder!!!!

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by hollowdweller, Oct 13, 2012.

1. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003

That's an outstanding grind on that one!

2. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    I just found one. In one week, she'll be coming to PA. Thanks.
    Rolf

3. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Yeah he grinds them thin. :D

4. grauschatten

grauschatten

Jan 2, 2010
    Has anyone else gathered experience with a modified edge Nilakka? I just love the design but am afraid of ordering one because at the least it should have to be able to cut food on a hardwood board.

5. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    My factory second with the factory secondary bevel drew admiration from everyone who watched me cutting up summer sausage at Christmas. It will handle cutting on a hardwood board, or cutting the board itself if need be.

6. sogflash

sogflash

Aug 28, 2011
    Are all the ones with a secondary bevel factory seconds?

7. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    No, mine was a second because the tip was chipped.

8. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    Hey I wanted to chime back in that I have been using this knife a lot and with the modified edge no problems.

9. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    It looks like these are shipping again. Guess they modified them. I have an original and I've thickened the edge a bit. I use it for light duty only. It's a slicing machine.

10. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    What's the consensus on the modified Spyderco Nilakka folder? Good to go? Any reservations and/or caveats?

11. hiredgun

hiredgun

Mar 23, 2001
    I just bought a modified Nilakka a week ago and I can confirm you are good to go. The edge is holding up great and I've experienced no problems like others have with the initial release. GO FOR IT! I LOVE mine.

12. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    Good to know. Thank you for the feedback.

13. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    and I can say the same...no issues here and mine has been put to use outdoors as well as in the kitchen.

14. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    Love the looks of it and the fit & finish are the usual superb quality from Taichung. However, as for using it and possibly adding another bevel... May just become a collector one for me. Decisions!

Also, read about all the good and bad points at The Edge Observer: Spyderco Nilakka from April 2013 after the modifications.

15. sogflash

sogflash

Aug 28, 2011
    Could you, or someone else with the modified nilakka show a picture of the edge? I want to see it to get an idea about what angle it is.

16. Nemo

Nemo

Oct 16, 1998
  17. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    Question: How would I know if I'm getting a second generation / modified Spyderco Nilakka folder?

18. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Buy it from an authorized dealer. IIRC, they recalled them to fix the edge.

19. KrisOK

KrisOK

Oct 17, 2012
    RamZar, you should be able to see the secondary bevel with a loupe. If you DO happen to get one that still has the zero grind, Spyderco will take care of it for you.

20. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I bought it when it was first released and mine was zero ground. I put a secondary bevel on it. No big deal if you sharpen your own knives.