WARNING: Pekko Nilakka Folder!!!!

Exactly, this is 63.5 HRC and .006" to .002" towards the tip so yes thin grinds can hold up to harder work.

DSC_2932.JPG

DSC_2933.JPG

DSC_2962_cropped.jpg

DSC_2961_cropped.jpg

That's an outstanding grind on that one!

Has anyone else gathered experience with a modified edge Nilakka? I just love the design but am afraid of ordering one because at the least it should have to be able to cut food on a hardwood board.

My factory second with the factory secondary bevel drew admiration from everyone who watched me cutting up summer sausage at Christmas. It will handle cutting on a hardwood board, or cutting the board itself if need be.

Hey I wanted to chime back in that I have been using this knife a lot and with the modified edge no problems.

It looks like these are shipping again. Guess they modified them. I have an original and I've thickened the edge a bit. I use it for light duty only. It's a slicing machine.

What's the consensus on the modified Spyderco Nilakka folder? Good to go? Any reservations and/or caveats?

What's the consensus on the modified Spyderco Nilakka folder? Good to go? Any reservations and/or caveats?

I just bought a modified Nilakka a week ago and I can confirm you are good to go. The edge is holding up great and I've experienced no problems like others have with the initial release. GO FOR IT! I LOVE mine.

I just bought a modified Nilakka a week ago and I can confirm you are good to go. The edge is holding up great and I've experienced no problems like others have with the initial release. GO FOR IT! I LOVE mine.

Good to know. Thank you for the feedback.

and I can say the same...no issues here and mine has been put to use outdoors as well as in the kitchen.

Love the looks of it and the fit & finish are the usual superb quality from Taichung. However, as for using it and possibly adding another bevel... May just become a collector one for me. Decisions!

Also, read about all the good and bad points at The Edge Observer: Spyderco Nilakka from April 2013 after the modifications.

Could you, or someone else with the modified nilakka show a picture of the edge? I want to see it to get an idea about what angle it is.

Question: How would I know if I'm getting a second generation / modified Spyderco Nilakka folder?

Buy it from an authorized dealer. IIRC, they recalled them to fix the edge.

RamZar, you should be able to see the secondary bevel with a loupe. If you DO happen to get one that still has the zero grind, Spyderco will take care of it for you.

I bought it when it was first released and mine was zero ground. I put a secondary bevel on it. No big deal if you sharpen your own knives.

Back