WARNING: Schrade bait and switch...RIPOFF ALERT

Several times in the past, I have praised Schrade knives as being an outstanding budget knife company, and with good reason. 9 out of 10 times, I have had a very positive experience with these knives, and with the value the company offered, the 1 out of 10 negative experiences were always well worth it...

One of my favorite models has always been the SCHF43, aka the Jessica X, designed by Chris Tanner of the youtube channel "PreparedMind101". The original model was an excellent all purpose tool, and was famously durable as hell. In fact, it was nearly indestructible...check out the youtube review from Tactical, "what it took to kill Jessica X". Well, Schrade has come under new ownership since the recent purchase of the company by Smith & Wesson, and it is clear some element of quality control has definitely fallen by the wayside. Recently, Chris Tanner tested the newest generation of the SCHF43, which is now made with a hollow grind, rather than the saber grind of the original design. Whether it was simply the grind change that ruined this knife, or Schrade is using cheaper steel or an inferior heat treat, something at Schrade has undeniably changed for the worse. In the link below, you can see Chris Tanner destroy 15 new SCHF43 knives with simple tip strength tests...

This result is especially disturbing when you consider that this model was one of Schrade's most durable, one that survived countless torture tests on youtube, including the notorious "Gauntlet" series of reviews. While this result only concretely proves that Schrade has made one particular model much cheaper and inferior in design, it would only be logical to assume the company as a whole has taken an enormous step backwards in terms of quality control. Until it is proven otherwise, I will assume that there has been a significant drop off in quality at Schrade knives, and I will no longer be buying their products.

don't they make balisongs?

They make one that I know of, the "Manilla" (can't even spell Manila correctly :rolleyes:). Lots of people seem to like them, but the grinding and finish on the blade look atrocious to me in the vids I've seen.

This whole thing with the Jessicas blows. The Schrade name, while it'll never be what it once was, was actually starting to regain some respect for some of their low-priced but durable hard use fixed blades. Now they've apparently effed that up too. :mad::(:thumbsdown:

I quit dealing with Schrade when they quit producing knives in the US. I'm not against knives produced overseas, but I'm not sure it's a plus in Schrades case.

The S&W acquisition is relatively recent. Schrade were never premium blade makers, but they used to make reliable blades, especially relative to the price. All signs point to this past reputation meaning nothing now, which is extremely dissappointing considering they used to be a great bang for your buck option. Looks like I will be spending more money on Condor and Ontario when it comes to budget blades. Yes, they are a little more expensive, but a discount isn't worth it when the product is going to break.

This really is dissappointing. I own 10 Schrade blades, and I have told many people about how they are tough as hell and a great value. I will now be warning people against buying their stuff. Hope the cutbacks were worth it, Schrade.

As far as I know shcrade was bought out by Taylor brands after its bankruptcy. The worst part is there are many blades stamped USA that were finished and built in China.

As far as I know shcrade was bought out by Taylor brands after its bankruptcy. The worst part is there are many blades stamped USA that were finished and built in China.
They were bought out by Taylor brands around 2005-ish and the knives were known to be total crap at first, then they got much better a few years ago and started producing some well received budget fixed blades.
Now they've just recently been acquired by Smith & Wesson, and it appears that they are not having products produced to the level Taylor brands was.
IMHO no true Shcrade knife was ever made in China so I couldn't care less.
They should either let the Shcrade name go out on a high note, or bring production back to America where it belongs.

What I really meant is a ton of schrade blanks made here were liquidated after the bankruptcy and were finished in China with Chinese materials. These knives are sold on auction sites as legit American made vintage schrade.

Good video; a lot of valid points made from a business-perspective. Sad that a company with so little respect would further erode their own rep by ruining one of their few decent products to save a few bucks.

They were bought out by Taylor brands around 2005-ish and the knives were known to be total crap at first, then they got much better a few years ago and started producing some well received budget fixed blades.
Now they've just recently been acquired by Smith & Wesson, and it appears that they are not having products produced to the level Taylor brands was.
IMHO no true Shcrade knife was ever made in China so I couldn't care less.
They should either let the Shcrade name go out on a high note, or bring production back to America where it belongs.
Taylor Brands owns smith and wesson, there was no changing hands.
Schrade ceased to exist when they went out of business, and the name has been applied to import garbage ever since. Was total crap, is total crap.

They should either let the Schrade name go out on a high note, or bring production back to America where it belongs.
Perhaps if this corporate behavior continues the Scharde name/rights will be available for sale again for pennies on the dollar? It would be nice if GEC acquired the brand and used it to expand their F&F brand or create a new line of products. :cool:

I have about 10 Schrade folders bought within the last three months and all were problem-free. I want to believe that this is just a bad batch.

Schrade ceased to exist when they went out of business, and the name has been applied to import garbage ever since. Was total crap, is total crap.

This.

The Schrade Toughtool was always my favorite MT when made in USA. At one point, after using one for about 10 yrs, I decided to get a second one but it was after Taylor had taken over.
Now, I know that China is capable of making good products, but Taylor had obviously specced for cheap rather than quality. The brand new Chinese one was looser, and sloppier than the American one that had a decade of use. The tools didn't lock, alignment was awful.

I just haven't gotten around to trusting Schrade again after that shitastrophe of a knife.

I'm feeling compelled to ask Why, and post pics of choppers from CPK, BRKT, Takeshi Saji, Ontario ("budget" but great value), Condor ("budget" but great value), HI ("budget" but great value) etc.

But I might just let this one take its course.

Rat, I quickly Googled s&w buying Taylor brands and it appears that the sale went for 85million cash. S&w did apparently buy out Taylor brands.

I have about 10 Schrade folders bought within the last three months and all were problem-free. I want to believe that this is just a bad batch.

Sorry to disagree but, from what I saw this is NOT something as excusable and forgivable as a *bad batch*. The original blade had a saber grind, as Chris said, multiple shipments of this knife are now intentionally being made w/ a HOLLOW GRIND. This is NOT a bad batch, from what I have seen I would have to agree w/ Chris...this is an INTENTIONAL design change.

And what would REALLY chafe my hide (and I'm sure Chris would concur) is that they DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER to consult him and just did it anyway. If they have so little respect for one of their best cash generating designers and sales reps...how much LESS respect do they have for the end buyer??

Bad move Schrade...BAD MOVE. :thumbsdown::poop:

Back