WARNING: Schrade bait and switch...RIPOFF ALERT

Lots of drama in the OP video over a $50 knife. I'm sure he has a legitimate gripe, but he also has a considerable grudge. They changed the design. Take a deep breath and move on.

He had established a good working relationship with Schrade, and that knife was sort of the final culmination of his efforts. While there are no guarantees in the industry, considering how the Schrade brand has changed hands and had its legacy diluted over time, I'm sure he thought any disagreements over the design and materials had long since been worked out.

I had always assumed Schrade to be nothing more than a Taylor Brand "imprint" with nothing behind it, but when I did end up breaking my only recent Schrade (SCHF36) due to a flaw, my phone call was immediately picked up by a very nice, helpful lady who answered "Schrade" rather than "Taylor Brands" and was able to process a warranty claim with no hassles or questions asked. But although I do own a couple of Smith & Wesson firearms and a couple of older fixed blades that are decent, I wouldn't consider one of the current ones. My customer service experiences with them have been a mixed bag to put it nicely. I'll continue avoiding their knives, and apparently Schrade as well from now on.

funny thing is, there are videos showing Jess X's having the tip's break off. its clear in his video he is ripping the tips off of the new jess x's... but then he goes super slow on the old jess X.

in any case, there is a clear differences between old and new. however the old one is not perfect either.

Other than that he then goes to say how great his new vendor is... and bark river has its fair share of bad press too.

Last edited:
funny thing is, there are videos showing Jess X's having the tip's break off. its clear in his video he is ripping the tips off of the new jess x's... but then he goes super slow on the old jess X.

in any case, there is a clear differences between old and new. however the old one is not perfect either.

Other than that he then goes to say how great his new vendor is... and bark river has its fair share of bad press too.
that second video isn't of a jess x though.

Stumbled across Chris' video on my own. Could not believe what I was seeing. Ironically, literally a couple of days ago I ordered a Schrade SCAXE10 online. Disappointing (and I don't mean the hatchet) doesn't even begin to describe it.

I am guessing they did not consult him because in the video Chris said he sold the design to them. They now own it and sadly can do what they want. Bad part is they are still allowed to use his name as the designer.

pretty sure no one likes the new jess x and prefers the old one. myself included. feel bad for the designer having his name on a design he didn't do.

somehow i doubt s&w is going to care much, which is a shame.

I am guessing they did not consult him because in the video Chris said he sold the design to them. They now own it and sadly can do what they want. Bad part is they are still allowed to use his name as the designer.
what are the legal guidelines on bait and switch?

what are the legal guidelines on bait and switch?
That would rely on the vendors changing the sales ad on their site to reflect the changes made. As that's where the "bait and switch" or false advertising would occur.

Whether there was any communications sent to the vendors by Taylor Brands about the changes made, who knows.

What I am curious about is, since he sold the model to them, with his name tethered as the designer, which they own in conjunction with that sole model. Since they changed the design, does he have a leg to stand on in having them remove his name. Since that is not the knife he designed.

Back