Recommendation? Warranty Knife Replacement

89YVQrF

https://imgur.com/a/89YVQrF

Hey folks,

This is my first post in this forum, and I’m looking for some recommendations.

5 years ago I was given an old beat up broken Benchmade AFCK as a gift. It was missing a back spacer and a couple of screws. I’ve heard a lot of great things about Benchmade’s warranty and customer service so I sent it in for repair. Apparently this model has been discontinued for so long that they don’t have the parts to fix it. They offered me $150 credit towards a new knife. I am willing to put another $100 towards something new bringing my new Benchmade knife budget to $250. I really liked this knife for what it was (nice long blade, but slim enough for EDC).

My question is which knife should I choose from the Benchmade website to replace it?

Which one would you choose? They all seem so great.

Do you think it would be reasonable to try to get the original knife (Benchmade AFCK) repaired by a third party knife maker/repair person, or gunsmith?

Thank you all for your recommendations.

Zac

Thank you - thank you - thank you. Finally a real, honest question from a "first poster". Yes there is a whack of models to choose from, and just in Benchmade's line up, not to mention other brands.

Myself, I would recommend the 940, but then again I am biased.

Oh,and a hearty welcome.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the $150 credit wil be with them... and they sell at the MSRP listed on their website (as opposed to the lower prices at your favorite dealer). Keep that in mind as you consider your options.

Depending on what is actually broken or missing, it may (or may not) be worth fixing. Screws aren't expensive, and you could probably get a backspacer made (or eliminate that & use standoffs).

As far as recommendations, I have/like the Rift and the Presidio. A g10 Griptilian is a solid option. If you want to stick with a comparable blade length, what about the contego? If it were my money, off the top of my head, I'd probably go with a 943 - just because it's one that's always appealed to me, but I never got around to buying when I was pursuing folders (never liked the 940).

Last edited:
If I were you, I would put that credit towards a knife from the Custom Shop. You might blow through your budget very quickly doing that though.

I think the Crooked River is going to be the closest you'll get to the AFCK in the current Benchmade lineup, both are large clip point blades, and if you liked the AFCK you'll like the CR. I'll also recommend the 495 Vector, it's one of my favorite knives they've ever released. It has a nice thin blade that's made to cut and the handle just melts into your hand. It's an assisted flipper, so it's not everyone's cup of tea.

If you're Military (or veteran), Law Enforcement, EMS or a Firefighter, Benchmade offers 30% off on their website, you just have to verify it through IDme at checkout. That brings the price of their knives below retail if you belong to any of those groups I mentioned.

Just some quick and dirty comparison shots (I threw the Mini-Crooked River in the bottom too, it's a great size for EDC)

8xdgeg7.jpg

LaSaBaB.jpg

Let us know what you decide on!

Custom shop is a good option. He can stay below his price, just can't get too crazy with blade steel options, and no carbon fiber! My 20cv crooked river was 288 with tax. My grip with m4 and G10 was 244 I think.

Something to think about!

WOW! thanks everyone for the well thought out responses. You've definitely given me a lot to think about. The crooked river has been number one on my list for a while, but there are so many reviews out there that say its "too big". The truth is that I have huge hands and long fingers. Big knives feel and carry better for me than smaller knives. hhmoore mentioned the Contego, which I totally overlooked before. Nice big blade, but that handle looks so mean! I'm still considering my options, I'm gona take a month to mull it over. In the mean-time I built this custom Crooked River.

https:https://api.spectrumcustomizer.com/benchmade/share/1593548426770/TNWQ5GFX

WOW! thanks everyone for the well thought out responses. You've definitely given me a lot to think about. The crooked river has been number one on my list for a while, but there are so many reviews out there that say its "too big". The truth is that I have huge hands and long fingers. Big knives feel and carry better for me than smaller knives. hhmoore mentioned the Contego, which I totally overlooked before. Nice big blade, but that handle looks so mean! I'm still considering my options, I'm gona take a month to mull it over. In the mean-time I built this custom Crooked River.

https:https://api.spectrumcustomizer.com/benchmade/share/1593548426770/TNWQ5GFX

Snazzy! Here's mine!

3rVSDuQ.jpg

My 2 pennies is that if you go Custom Shop spend a few dozen more beans and upgrade the steel. Pisses me off to see S30V on a custom shop knife from them!

Gosh, haven't been on there since 2 Christmases ago when I got the kids their custom knives... let me look... be back in a sec...

Looks like you are already going for a coated black blade so either 20CV or M4. M4 from Benchmade seems still to only come in coated (black or light gray in this case) while you could choose non coated 20CV. Both are very modest price jumps at +$10 or +$20. M4 seems toothier and 20CV seems a bit more fine grained. Someone will come along and explain in more detail why I feel that way, possibly.

Can't go wrong with either so maybe look them up online. Research is fun! M4 is a non stainless tool steel and BM coats them to avoid rust but the exposed edge can rust. In practice it is not going to rust much. I have BM M4 and live within a few miles of the beach. Use or sharpenings will keep rust away. M4 is a "tool(ing)" steel and cuts other steels - tough stuff, maybe harder to sharpen!

20CV is awesome too, easier to sharpen, stainless. I have all of the above. Both are worth the extra cost to me and should provide more edge life that S30V.

Aloha!

I don't find m4 that much harder to sharpen than 20cv. My Super Freek (m4) was sharp out of the box, but was close to a chisel grind. I used my sharpmaker diamond rods to fix it, worked great! Was not difficult at all and holds an edge very well. I've even cut copper wire with it and had no problems with damage. I love it, which is why I got my custom Griptilian in it! Can't wait to start using that bad boy...

Have 20cv on my custom crooked river and mini Crooked River, as well as my standard G10 Griptilian. Again, not hard to sharpen but man does it hold an edge. Benchmade does well with both steels imo!

My Contego has m390, which is the same as 20cv. Again, holds an edge great and isn't that tough to sharpen.

Also, check out benchmades video on their YouTube of them testing the m4 contego... You'll see how well the edge holds up! It is quite impressive.

Looks good! I'm not one for serrations but I dig the green!
I was never a fan of serrations until I started carrying a Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops folding knife, with partially serrated tanto blade. I didnt Like tanto or serrations before I met that knife. Now I love them. I curious about the Lambs Foot shape. I've never owned a blade with that shape, but its intriguing. I also like a thumb hole more than a stud.

A serrated 550 Griptilian much like that was my first "real" knife, and it's still one of my most used knives to this day. It's a real workhorse. I think you'll like the sheepsfoot blade version, it has a very stout point, that is still sharp enough for piercing.

Another great thing about the Griptilian is that there are so many great craftsmen on this forum who make awesome handle scales for it, if you ever feel like upgrading too.

A serrated 550 Griptilian much like that was my first "real" knife, and it's still one of my most used knives to this day. It's a real workhorse. I think you'll like the sheepsfoot blade version, it has a very stout point, that is still sharp enough for piercing.

Another great thing about the Griptilian is that there are so many great craftsmen on this forum who make awesome handle scales for it, if you ever feel like upgrading too.
Very interesting

Back