Warspear WP501K "bigass front flipper"

Dergyll

Gold Member
Happy friday everyone, I took a chance out of curiosity and picked up the WP501K in "green" micarta.
20210826_155517.jpg

First impressions of the knife were not so great, centering was pretty off, micarta looked like moldy cheese, liner lock stuck out alot
Screenshot_20210917-075421_Gallery.jpg

In terms of design, it's not so great. The top flipper is way too long and big, so when you close the knife your fingers will be in the way of the rotating top...some finger gymnastics are required.
Screenshot_20210917-075337_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210917-075317_Gallery.jpg

The picket clip could've been better, but for 30 something I guess it's okay, retention is so so.
Screenshot_20210917-075255_Gallery.jpg

So I had the knife for a few weeks and tried to use it as much as I can. I prepped food, cut twigs, trimmed plants, and the Sandvik 14c28n actually performed pretty well with the full flat grind. After my 3 weeks, the blade was still surprisingly sharp that I didnt even have to sharpen it before sending off to woodysone woodysone .

The handles are not bad, but the liner lock stuck out way too much that I actually disengaged it once by accident.

It's fine to deploy and run on ball bearings, but the finger gymnastics makes it not as fun as it could be for fidgeting.

Overall, I think it scores below average on everything except cutting, but it's a big front flipper so of that's your thing then there might not be too many options.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20210826_155459.jpg
    20210826_155459.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 9
Well didn't have the WarSpear long but it did have a chance to work out in the garden a few days.
For a $40 knife it has a lot going for it compared to blades twenty years ago. It came with disassembly tools, cloth , different color pivot ring and non low rider clip, all that one would need to maintain the action. All there knives use 14C28N blade steel hardened to 57-59HRC, this makes for an easy sharpen blade steel .

The down is the placement and size of the front flipper. The front flipper has been around for some time now, the idea was to make it easier to open the knife.
HjQ3ujU.jpg

This design makes one contort your hand to get enough purchase to pop the blade out. and once deployed there in enough flex in the handle due to the construction of the frame.
38Kj7mf.jpg

Overall not a bad knife for $40 dollars and still cut well after using it for a couple of days, but I would not suggest as a heavy duty cutter.

Here's my penny's worth about it...
(Cause it ain't worth two cents...)
The good:
It feels good in the hand.
The blade steel is pretty darn good for an inexpensive knife.
14c28n will hold an edge fairly well; yet is still easy to sharpen.
I like the front flipper!
The scales are Mikarta, and are well-shaped, and very comfortable.
The spare parts... you get an extra clip (in black), and a different color pivot bushing
AND extra screws and tools round out the package.
The wonky bits:
There is definitely some blade-play going on...
I thought the detent was a bit weak...
The blade wasn't centered (not a big thing...)
It must run on nylon bushings... It felt really weird; if you opened it slowly...
The pocket clip was right-hand only...
But I liked it, and figure it would make a decent knife for someone on a tight budget.

But...
If anybody wants to give it a try: PM me your mailing address, and I'll send it along to you.
If I mail it out to someone: I AM buying myself a keeper!

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back