Watch questions (for enthusiasts)

Hello all. I was thinking about getting a new watch for dress occasions. In the past, I would just go for whatever style I liked. However, I have been curious about more "time honored" brands and wanted to try out one of the more "enthusiast" oriented watches for business and formal attire (meaining not a chronograph, pilot, or diving watch); hopefully under $500 retail... that's a hard <$500, NOT 'around' $500.

First, some models by Tissot and Orient are catching my eye. I was wondering if there were any Orient watches to stay away from when it comes to collector/enthusiast value?

Second, I was wondering if the brands that are my go-to (meaning I own and wear commonly), generally Movado and Citizen, are generally considered fashion watches rather than enthusiast watches.

Last, when I was more concerned about wearing (and purchasing) watches, the styles were a little different. Many of my older watches have really small case sizes, some of which might be confused with women's watches (nowadays). For example, the ultra thin black bracelet Movado Classic Museum watch owned since the early 90's has a case measuring 31-32mm. Is this just a personal preference or was there a small-case-size style thing going on 20-25 years ago? I have thin wrists, but am 6' and 205 lbs.

You are not alone in liking smaller watches:D
Yes, in days gone by watches were generally speaking smaller than the chunky 44/45 and even 50mm watches fashionable these days.
Old watches from decades ago would indeed today be seen as resembling ladies watches by some today.

Ive been into watches for a long time and notice that some watch aficionados gravitate towards smaller diameter watches.
I used to be wearing Panerai 44mm watches, Rolex divers or a Girard Perregaux Seahawk amongst way too many watches.
I still own some big watches but are mostly over them.
I have 44mm watches but am increasingly tempted by 40mm cases.

Im currently wearing a vintage 35mm Certina with a 28-10 handwind. Its considered on the small side today but is incredibly comfortable.
zoRdcm5.jpg

If you are on the market for a nice comfortable no-nonsense watch, take a peek at the Patek 570 watches.
Im tempted to get one myself even though I used to be all about chunky MIL and divers watches.

I should mention that I'm not that concerned with the size of the case. I have some very large watches, too. I think for this purchase I would shoot for 35mm - 42mm size range, although 35mm - 40mm might be even better.

I should mention that I'm not that concerned with the size of the case. I have some very large watches, too. I think for this purchase I would shoot for 35mm - 42mm size range, although 35mm - 40mm might be even better.
I repeat; Patek 570. Simple, no-nonsense and beautiful.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am interested in a new watch under $500. I'm finding Patek watches from $5,000-$950,000. They are nice, though.

At that $500 price point I'm a big SEIKO fan. So many choices and dial designs all manufactured in house. Domestic market pieces, JDM only pieces. Great value, at least for now. Enthusiast level without question.

For that level of spend I'd be looking for an automatic movement that hand winds and hacks. Something from the SARB (38mm) or SARX (40mm) line with sapphire crystal and 6r movement if you can find it. SEIKO is moving up market with the current Presage stuff, so now is a good time before the two mentioned lines are gone.

Some models have great aftermarket support for bracelets as well, like the SARBs. Strapcode's MiTat stuff is very nice for the money. Uncle Seiko as well.

Also, consider buying a better spec watch used. Have ordered several from Japan without issue. SEIKO's divers at that price are also very good.

Tissot lelocle. Classy looking. ETA movement. Very nice face. Can get with leather or bracelet I use leather on mine. Can dress up or down. Retail is 650$ or so but you can find on the grey market, I can’t say here but there are some reputable places that sell them about 350$.

Hello all. I was thinking about getting a new watch for dress occasions. In the past, I would just go for whatever style I liked. However, I have been curious about more "time honored" brands and wanted to try out one of the more "enthusiast" oriented watches for business and formal attire (meaining not a chronograph, pilot, or diving watch); hopefully under $500 retail... that's a hard <$500, NOT 'around' $500.

First, some models by Tissot and Orient are catching my eye. I was wondering if there were any Orient watches to stay away from when it comes to collector/enthusiast value?

Second, I was wondering if the brands that are my go-to (meaning I own and wear commonly), generally Movado and Citizen, are generally considered fashion watches rather than enthusiast watches.

Mass produced brands such as Seiko and Citizen produce a range of watches including enthusiast models and department store models. Enthusiasts typically don't like department store styles. I don't know how to describe hot to tell one from another, you will have to learn that through comparison. The one thing I've noticed however is that enthusiasts usually don't like styles with integrated bracelets while department store watches will typically have them.

The other issue to know when buying watches is that some retail outlets charge high markups on watches. If you buy one, you would not be able to recover much of your money if you tried to sell one used. If you buy carefully, then you can sell used for a reasonable amount. This is actually a lot like knives- if you aren't careful where you buy a knife you might pay a large markup for it.

I also like Seiko and esp. atomic, radio sync watches. I have two. Never have to worry about the battery/winding or setting the time.

If you are a member of costco, I recently picked up a nice Glycine with eta 2824-2 movement for $300. It is a diver but they also had a dress watch for the same price. Think it was 38mm. Hard to beat at the price for what you get.

What type of movement are you looking at? Quartz? Auto? Mechanical? Solar?

IMHO, for most folks, quartz is probably the better choice most of the time, particularly if you rotate watches a bit. Solar powered has its advantages (you don't have to open the case often to change batteries).

Citizen has a nice selection of Eco Drives to choose from in your price range.

The Bulova Precisionist line is pretty slick (a quartz with a 'sweeping' second hand). A lot of history to that brand as well.

I also like Victorinox...some classic designs in there. Their Alliance line might be to your liking.

FWIW, I also prefer analog watches with the Arabic numbers on them...for me, much easier to read on the go with a quick glance.
Boss

Hamilton has a few nice classic model from 300-800, so a handful are in your range. The jazz master comes in dozens of models and most are <500
hamilton-43mm-black-leather-men-watch__12819.1565721728.jpg

Thanks all for your replies. Unfortunately a weekend out in an expensive city with a long-time-no-see friend ate up my discretionary funds for the next two months... Worth it.

I'll update this thread if I start back on my watch research or if I purchase something.

Thanks all for your replies. Unfortunately a weekend out in an expensive city with a long-time-no-see friend ate up my discretionary funds for the next two months... Worth it.

I'll update this thread if I start back on my watch research or if I purchase something.

The old saying is that the watch makes the man. But experiences and memories make the man even more. Good choice.

ate up my discretionary funds for the next two months

Keep in mind that you can spend a lot on watches, a whole lot, even if you buy them right. What you actually get is not always related to how much you spend, or thinking about it differently there are some very good watches available at low prices. Seiko, Citizen, Orient for instance offer nice watches at low prices.

Keep in mind that you can spend a lot on watches, a whole lot, even if you buy them right. What you actually get is not always related to how much you spend, or thinking about it differently there are some very good watches available at low prices. Seiko, Citizen, Orient for instance offer nice watches at low prices.
Recently got a bertucci from their bargain bin for real cheap and I love it. Great field watch and band.

Back