Water Buffalo Horn

Bawanna

Been trying to make pistol grips out of antler and stag etc and fail miserably every time.
I prefer really thin grips and it just doesn't happen with stag.
Anyhow cat knocked a vase off a shelf and hit me in the head and my light bulb blinked for a nano second and I thought why not buffalo horn. I've worked it before on knives and its pretty nice to work with other than it don't smell none to good grinding and such.

So anyhow I ordered me a couple slabs and finally went after it this weekend. I'm pretty pleased, I got some more fine sanding and polishing to do but I got them thin and the white streaks showed through nice on the right side, they showed nice on the left till I went just a bit thinner and then lost some, oh well.

Photo evidence. I filled the voids on the one side and sanded that down and they are now invisible. Just more polishing and sanding to get them just right.

Who'd of ever thought bawanna would ever own a Wilson but I got very lucky and got a gift price from a co worker.

Looks great brother, and a Wilson at that, dang you are a lucky fella.

Vury Vury nice! I like the white streaks through it. Wonder how that would look checkered? Any plans? Looks great just like that too tho!

I'm gonna work on it some more tonight, I want to make them even thinner. I liked the white streaks too, hoping I get more back on the left side and don't lose any on the right and I sand them down some more.
I think I will checker them, hoping the white streaks still show through. Make a really nice grip if they work. Kind of unique.

Kind of got the buffalo horn pushed to a back burner. Yangdu sent some knives for makeovers and minor repairs. Actually kind of nice to have multiple projects, you can bounce around if one goes to frustratin ya.
Usually not an issue with guns and knives.

Great looking gun and grips! Nice to see you still at it.

Just noticed I never posted a pic after checkering, I'll work on that forthwith.

Back