Water Treatment

@ Caithnesian:

Seems to be a suprisingly cheap system compared to others... How do you like it? Got some experiences with really dirty water? Never been a big fan of those "drink directly" flow filters...

Question, if I were to use the Miox, what's the best prefilter? Bandana, coffee filter?

Question, if I were to use the Miox, what's the best prefilter? Bandana, coffee filter?

Maybe one of those reusable coffe filters: MSR MugMate Coffee/Tea Filter or GSI Outdoors H2jO! Coffee Filter

The GSI product fits right into a Nalgene bottle and can be closed by the normal cap. I like items that can be used for multiple things so use the H2jO! first to get the water prefiltered, use some of the MIOXed water to clean it and get some nice coffee afterwards :D <- might not be used in a real scenario tho ;)

@ Caithnesian:

Seems to be a suprisingly cheap system compared to others... How do you like it? Got some experiences with really dirty water? Never been a big fan of those "drink directly" flow filters...

It is cheap :D The price is by no means any reflection of performance in my opinion though.

In the times that I've used it with really dirty water the only crappy effect is the reduced flow rate, making the filtration a much slower process.

I don't like drinking directly from it, but use it to squeeze water into another bottle or bottles.

My sister and I were looking at the Steri-pen at a local backpackng store. The guy asked us where we planned on using it. We told him we were going backpacking in Glacies National Park this summer.

He told us the pen would work fine for up there because they have clear water. He told us that if we were to use it around here or someplace else that had water with sediment in it we would need to use a filter device or the pen would not work so well due to things hiding behind sediment particles.

I asked him if he was just trying to sell two things. He got kind of offended and told me he doesn't work on commision and just wants people to be safe when they are out. I told him I meant no offense by it and then he offered me a 20% military discount.

I will have to agree with some of the others. It seems ike two ways to filter or purify seem like the way to go.

mlrs

He told us the pen would work fine for up there because they have clear water. He told us that if we were to use it around here or someplace else that had water with sediment in it we would need to use a filter device or the pen would not work so well due to things hiding behind sediment particles.
mlrs

A lot of sediment rich water only takes about 10 minutes to settle, surely then you could just decant the water into something else without disturbing the sediment, then use the steripen?

I've just never been sold on the SteriPen yet. Seems like you almost need some type of a meter to judge clearness before use know if it's good to go. I've heard a lot of people say "I've used it and never gotten sick" but that doesn't mean anything since your immune system and a lot of other things play into that.

I've heard a lot of people say "I've used it and never gotten sick" but that doesn't mean anything since your immune system and a lot of other things play into that.

Yep, those words sound like the famous last variety to me!

A lot of sediment rich water only takes about 10 minutes to settle, surely then you could just decant the water into something else without disturbing the sediment, then use the steripen?

I am sure you could do that. My question about it tho is this, By the time you wait for it to settle couldn't you have already filtered it and used the pen?

mlrs

I am sure you could do that. My question about it tho is this, By the time you wait for it to settle couldn't you have already filtered it and used the pen?
mlrs

Yep, I dare say you could :) I'm always happy to sit around doing nothing for ten minutes though :D

Whether or not the steripen is effective is one question. My reason for never trying it is that they have a bad reputation for easily breaking. That alone was reason enough not to rely on it.

Anybody have experience with Katadyn's Mini Ceramic Hiker?
It looks good on paper.
-Bruce

I spent months researching before buying the Katadyn Pocket. The cleanable ceramic filter is good up to 13,000 gallons, filters out about every known critter to exist in water, only ways 20oz and is warrantied for 20 years. This is the Cadillac of filters as far as I'm concerned.

We've spent a lot of money on filters trying most all of them. None of them work well in black water of the Amazon.

We've spent a lot of money on filters trying most all of them. None of them work well in black water of the Amazon.

Just needed to quote your post number 9,999 :D

Maybe the black water in the Amazon is some kind of the hardest stuff to get a filter through;)

Back