Water Treatment

Thanks, I'll take that one off the list then.
BTW, How did it fail?
-Bruce

No, don't take it off of your list unless you plan on going to the Amazon. It's probably a superb filter for around the States. It failed by totally clogging ....quickly.

i have had the msr mini works and the miox for 3 years. still going strong. i am interested in a desalinization filter. now that i have my sailboar down on the third coast, this seems like a logical conceren.

I just bought this filter for local use: http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water...t-and-hydration/hyperflow-microfilter/product

Haven't really used it yet expect to get some initial flow. I personally don't believe this thing will pump a quart in the Amazon before clogging. Could be wrong though. I'm going to filter some water out of my catfish pond and see how it tastes.

Looking forward to read what you think about it, according to some reviews I found the Hyperflow seems to be really attractive towards dirt and clogging up even in lightly polluted water... Due to its size and weight it could be the first choice in combination with a MIOX tho ;)

I have buddy who guides in Nepal and he loves his Vario. Great feature is even if the ceramic disc freezes and breaks, you still are set.

I have been looking into the Sawyer System
.1 micron absolute and its a passive gravity system. It is a filtering system used for kidney dialysis and appears to be working great. The samples that the rep gave us worked great and it can be cleaned by back flow. I only had it for a couple weeks when the Arkansas was running clear and had no problems. Jeff you would probably trash it with all the particulates you deal with.

I like Katydyn's Micropure tablets. They get just about everything and will work amazinly fast in filtered water. Also they are individually wrapped and can be added to any kit. Iodine once open has a limited shelf life, but will last longer if unopened. I should also mention the Katydyn rep was just in giving a clinic... so its fresh on my mind.

Also looking at the Katydyn Pocket since the rep listend to my requirments and he said, "Raft guides break everything, try the pocket." ; )

Any ideas on the Katadyn Pocket?
the katadynb pocket is an excellent heavy duty filter..

20 year warranty, .2 micron filter, heavy duty, very sturdy pump. I like it very much, holds up well. Better than my msr miniworks, which is a plastic toy in comparison. The msr works well too, but I tend to blow out the o-rings of the pump...

I used the Hiker Pro w/coffee filters over the intake along with a Steripen
for the last year and a half with no problems. I’ve heard good things from the
ultra light crowd about the Aquamira Frontier Pro filter and their Water Treatment Drops, but I’ve never tried them.

I think most of the companies that make water filters are aware of the problem with black water and that their filters DO NOT WORK in that environment. I know MSR is because we had communication with them years ago and they responded to us with that acknowledgement. The problem is none of the manufacturers will state that in the paperwork on thier product. This leads to a misleading idea of the reliability of the product (imagine that:)).
ALways, always, always take a chemical back up.

Mike is absolutely right that carrying a second chemical back up is a must no matter what filter set up your using. Here's a set up that I have in my BOB that is in really high use by the military over in Afghanistan. It's not a pump type, but uses sugar to force a forward osmosis through osmotic pressure. The internal filter is good for 10 days once you start using it but will filter around 20L of water during it's life. When you fill it up, you add a small bottle of a syrup also and let it do the work. It takes about 1 hour on average to totally filter the amount, in warm weather. It filters out all bacteria and virus' ( including anthrax ) the company says. They offer the exact same looking unit that will desalinate salt water or brackish water, which is really cool if you live near the ocean. Each liter of water provides several hundred calories to keep you going also. The company says they're clog free but not sure how'd they handle the amazon?! Might be a great product to try on Jeff's next adventure... You can check out all their filters on their site at htiwater.com. Here's a pic of the one I have, the X-Pack. There's a pond in town that fills off our main river that's called Pig's Lake, and it's the most stagnant algae, bacteria filled water you've ever seen. I'm gonna order another X-Pack and sacrifice it for the RAT Pack and see just how well it can filter out that water. I'll do a review for you guys when I'm done!

mybugoutbag002.jpg

Mike is absolutely right that carrying a second chemical back up is a must no matter what filter set up your using. Here's a set up that I have in my BOB that is in really high use by the military over in Afghanistan. It's not a pump type, but uses sugar to force a forward osmosis through osmotic pressure. The internal filter is good for 10 days once you start using it but will filter around 20L of water during it's life. When you fill it up, you add a small bottle of a syrup also and let it do the work. It takes about 1 hour on average to totally filter the amount, in warm weather. It filters out all bacteria and virus' ( including anthrax ) the company says. They offer the exact same looking unit that will desalinate salt water or brackish water, which is really cool if you live near the ocean. Each liter of water provides several hundred calories to keep you going also. The company says they're clog free but not sure how'd they handle the amazon?! Might be a great product to try on Jeff's next adventure... You can check out all their filters on their site at htiwater.com. Here's a pic of the one I have, the X-Pack. There's a pond in town that fills off our main river that's called Pig's Lake, and it's the most stagnant algae, bacteria filled water you've ever seen. I'm gonna order another X-Pack and sacrifice it for the RAT Pack and see just how well it can filter out that water. I'll do a review for you guys when I'm done!

mybugoutbag002.jpg

Yes sir. Have used these in the jungle. They do indeed work.

mybugoutbag002.jpg

I've never seen that HTI X-Pack before. Good to know! Thanks

It's been a while since we used those osmosis packs but if I recall they had a powder substance you put in them to make them do their thing. It always tasted too sweet to me.

It's been a while since we used those osmosis packs but if I recall they had a powder substance you put in them to make them do their thing. It always tasted too sweet to me.

They use a liquid now. It is sweet but I think they brought down the level of how much though. They have a camlebak set up now that is pretty slick. It lasts for 90 days and filters/holds far more water.

They use a liquid now. It is sweet but I think they brought down the level of how much though. They have a camlebak set up now that is pretty slick. It lasts for 90 days and filters/holds far more water.

I read about the long term camelbak style and always wanted to test one. Glad to hear they've knocked down the sweetness because there is nothing worse than a sweet tasting drink when all you're dying for is plain water.

if to sweet ,makes you drink more..... like spinning your wheels :) & getting no where ....but a full belly :D

Back