waterjet cutters

You would be surprised what you can find locally sometimes.

I too would suggest looking for a local waterjet company.

I contacted Dave and he was quick getting back to me with a quote but he lost out to a local waterjet company in my area. If not for a huge difference in price and that I found a local guy I would have done business with Dave.

The nice thing about the local guy is he gets my parts cut in 2-3 days and I get the skeletons back.

Jake, I'm sorry I never got back to you on your stuff. Quite honestly, I barely remember. But since you live close by, give me a call, come on over and we can make your parts anytime if you like...no charge! Fair enough?

Dave i wanted to respond in this thread since I had posted before.
i want to thank you for the generous offer, but i have to decline. I may indeed have you do the work, but if I do; i dont want anything for free, if you do my parts your gonna get paid, but thanks for the offer it means alot.

I've gotten what i wanted now, and that was just some kind of response I'm happy now.

to the rest of you concerning this thread good luck!

Jake

David has my waterjet business as long as he wants it. His parts are spot on.
He is a pleasure to do business with. My folder success has been because David made sure it would be. Thank you David!!!

Any ideas on the typical costs to have blades waterjet cut? I was planning on having 5-6 8.5" blades cut, 2 different patterns.

Not looking for a quote, just a ballpark figure on the costs to waterjet patterns.

dave, you still owe me for sharpening your knives so how can you send me a 1099?
He can send you a 1099. Anybody can fill out a form. The rules are here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc.pdf

Filing a false 1099 is a violation of 18 U.S.C. Sec. 1001.

In my professional life I receive 1099's that are wildly incorrect - and it is legal. How? I'm an attorney and if my case settles rather than reach a jury verdict - the defendant paying the settlement doesn't know how much of the settlement would be attorney's fees, costs and the plaintiff's share.

Costs are deductible from income (just as raw materials costs are deducted from the sales price to establish part of the basis for the profit from sale of a custom made knife), an attorney's fee agreement falls within the scope of attorney-client confidentiality and only the accountants and spouses find out how the settlement funds reported on a 1099 are divided. The IRS has increased reporting rules and we now have:
Gross proceeds paid to attorneys. Under section 6045(f), report in box 14 payments to an attorney made in the course of your trade or business in connection with legal services, for example, as in a settlement agreement, unless the attorney’s fees are reportable by you in box 7. Generally, you are not required to report the claimant’s attorney’s fees. For example, an insurance company pays a claimant’s attorney $100,000 to settle a claim. The insurance company reports the payment as gross proceeds of $100,000 in box 14. The insurance company does not have a reporting requirement for the claimant’s attorney’s fees subsequently paid from these funds.
These rules apply whether or not the legal services are provided to the payer and whether or not the attorney is exclusive payee (for example, the attorney’s and claimant’s names are on one check) or other information returns are required for some or all of a payment under section 6041A(a)(1). For example, a person who, in the course of a trade or business, pays $600 of taxable damages to a claimant by paying that amount to a claimant’s attorney is required to furnish Form 1099-MISC to the claimant under section 6041 and furnish Form 1099-MISC to the claimant’s attorney under section 6045(f). For more examples and exceptions relating to payments to attorneys, see Regulations section 1.6045-5.

But, Richard's dilemma is not so complex. A 1099 for "non-payment" *might* fall under a cancelled debt, see:
Canceled debt. A canceled debt is not reportable on Form 1099-MISC. Canceled debts are required to be reported on Form 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt, by financial institutions, credit unions, federal government agencies, certain agencies connected with the Federal Government, and an organization where the lending of money (such as finance and credit card companies) is a significant trade or business. See the Instructions for Forms 1099-A and 1099-C.
But, then the taxable income goes to the individual who doesn't have to pay the "cancelled debt."

All in all, if some fool intentionally sends a false 1099 - then the fool has exposed him/herself to federal criminal liability.

Moreover, if the matter is based upon a failure to pay a debt - I'd presume that most small claims court judges would consider a 1099 a very interesting document in an action to collect a debt from the person issuing that 1099.

*Nothing here is intended as legal advice. Seek your own attorney in your jurisdiction should you have a legal question. This information provided for educational purposes, only.*

So Mr. Attorney, if the person did get paid and the payee has documents proving payment, the 1099 is valid and true. And while I'm at it, I could sue for defamation of character...at least that's what my attorney wants to do. So who if the fool you refereed to?

I have had blades cut out via waterjet twice, by two different people. One, was Dave from GLWJ; the other was a buddy who just happened to work for a company running a waterjet machine. The blades cut out by my friend were ok, but what I got back from Dave was much better as far as accuracy; Dave did a MUCH nicer job.

Dave has my business. :thumbup:

I've used a few different waterjet vendors. Local and not.

One local outfit did several hundred parts, scrapped some expensive material and adjusted the price (upward) upon delivery because of 'issues' he had. ----NEVER AGAIN. :mad:

I like Halpern and have bought material from them in the past, but they seem pretty busy. The couple times I quoted parts I ended up having the parts done elsewhere and back by the time their quotes came in and they were pretty premium. I got the impression they didn't want to do it, which is fine. They seem to do very nice work, though.:eek:

Dave at GLWJ has done a few projects for me and they were all fine. Good quality and fast service and good prices. He's also a very innovative guy with the WJ. The textrure/surface pattern stuff he's doing is very neat! He did some bronze washers for my EDX prototype run which turned out very nice. They were flat and true. I just had to skate them on one side to remove the small WJ burr. I only needed 50 or so and getting them stamped would involve big minimums--not what you're looking for in prototyping. Water-jetting the bronze washers was a good solution for specialty proto work I hadn't considered before Dave suggested it!:thumbup::)

So Mr. Attorney, if the person did get paid and the payee has documents proving payment, the 1099 is valid and true. And while I'm at it, I could sue for defamation of character...at least that's what my attorney wants to do. So who if the fool you refereed to?

If one follows the IRS rules - one does not violate the law.

I merely stated the facts and opined that anybody who would file a false 1099 is a fool.

You were not named as the hypothetical fool.

Defamation requires monetary damages - and, where no accusation was made naming anybody (much less you) nobody has been damaged. No attorney would file a defamation action based upon my post.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Hamlet, Scene ii

As for litigation, perhaps you would find this of interest:

A countryman between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.
Benjamin Franklin

And, in a more modern form:
So remember when you're looking for trouble
That trouble is already busy with weaker men
Cooks County, The Who It's Hard 1982, lyrics by Pete Townshend

Back