Waterproof Rain Boots?

Needing some suggestions for high performance rain boot manufacturers. What do you guys/gals have and which are your favorites? I'd like a tall, completely waterproof boot that would suffice in ankle to calf high standing water.

Im looking for something of high quality, but won't necessarily break the bank.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I'd just get the Arcteryx Mattock Drysock LT and pair them up with the boots I like.

I have some Bogs that I'm quite fond of. The company is good to deal with too if you ever have an issue.

I also have a low pair of Xtratuf boots that have served me well walking the dogs here in the coastal wetlands.

I own four pair of Muck boots, they are very soft and comfortable to walk around all day in while hunting.

I wear the knee high Lacross un-insulated for non winter stuff. They are very comfortable. Just about to break out my second pair as I have pretty much worn the first pair out.

For just "rain", the 6" uninsulated LL Bean boot works well. Been a while since I have worn them, but I loved the pair I had until I wore the soles bald.

I need to look at the Muck boots.

I own four pair of Muck boots, they are very soft and comfortable to walk around all day in while hunting.
I have some Bogs that I'm quite fond of. The company is good to deal with too if you ever have an issue.

I also have a low pair of Xtratuf boots that have served me well walking the dogs here in the coastal wetlands.

+1 for both. I can offer 2nd-hand experience with Mucks and Bogs from my sister who works in horse stalls and ankle deep mud/poop all fall/winter long. They're great boots.

The thing I like about the Bogs is that you can get some pairs without neoprene, which snags a bit on brush sometimes I find.

For minimal to moderate activity Muck Boots Edgewater are the most comfortable I've found. For fore active use, especially when walking on a sticky boggy bottom, nothing compares to Lacrosse ankle fit boots.

If you have a high instep (like I do) be sure to try on the Lacrosse ankle fit boots before purchasing them. I had a pair of Lacrosse Bury boots that I had to cut open with a knife to get them off of my feet! Great boots but the ankle fit was too tight to get off after a day of hunting and my feet swelled. (I was alone and had nobody around to help pull them off).

This thread gave me the idea for possibly another boot addition (rain boots, yard boots, possible light work boots, etc). Well, my first thought was the LL Bean boot with the leather uppers, a 6" pair uninsulated. They work well, but looking further... Then I did a search on Lacrosse boots. I have a couple pair of Lacrosse rubber boots (several 18" uninsulated, and insulated). I love the ankle fit on these, but as mentioned above, you might want to try a pair on first. Anyway, think I'm going to get a pair of Lacrosse Hamptons for this purpose which should augment what I already own and wear. I believe Cabelas sells them if they have my size in stock at the local store. Hopefully I can get the same discount as the online Cabelas order if I mention it. If not, I'll try on a pair and then order online for store pickup. They still aren't cheap, but they last a long time and if they are as comfortable as the other ones, it will be a win for me.

Muck boots are what I wear out in the woods hunting. Own 3 pairs different insulation for the weather of the hunting season here they have never failed me.

My vote for Bogs...I have the heavy duty ones 11 in high with serious tread, arch support and built up toe.....rated to minus 25 Celsius too
I can walk in rough angled terrain all day in them at my acreage up north

I've got some 18" LaCrosse Alphaburly Pros, which I love! Great tread and traction and excellent room with adjustment system for folks with larger calf muscles and field pants. Can roll down if it's hot out. I recommend adding felt inserts for constant wet/cold conditions or Superfeet for arch support and lots of hiking.

I think I paid around $135 for them locally on the Oregon Coast. Were true to size, in my experience, with enough room for good insole and comfort with light, medium or heavy Smartwool socks.

Last edited:
I imagine you’ve got your boots already, but I’m a commercial fisherman, if you want some rubber boots that are comfortable all day long, and are durable get some XtraTufs.
15” you can get insulated or non insulated.
There are many styles of these boots but I recommend the classic, insulated version.
xtratuf-22274g-insulated-neoprene-high-boot-14.jpg

I imagine you’ve got your boots already, but I’m a commercial fisherman, if you want some rubber boots that are comfortable all day long, and are durable get some XtraTufs.
15” you can get insulated or non insulated.
There are many styles of these boots but I recommend the classic, insulated version.
xtratuf-22274g-insulated-neoprene-high-boot-14.jpg

Are the new made in China ones as good as the made in USA ones used to be?

I have a pair of their 7" height ones, and they've held up fantastically.

While I am all for buying American and try to in order to support job development here in the US, I think the differences in quality in Chinese and US made goods is mostly exaggerated at this point. To be fair, with as much as they've invested in industry, sometimes it may even be better / more consistent than small one person shops just bc of the technology available (to those large scale operations).

Are the new made in China ones as good as the made in USA ones used to be?
I’ve worn both the old USA made ones and the Chinese versions too. They are both excellent boots. I fish for dungeoness crab, and pink shrimp. I’ve literally spend over 40 hours on deck crabbing without taking my boots off. They were (and I’m wearing right now) the Chinese ones. I don’t know that the USA versions can even be found to purchase. They did have some issues when they switched but have since smoothed everything out. I seriously doubt you will wear your boots out faster than I do, and I can get a couple years out of them on the ocean.

Back