Waterway

Sharpened my waterway for the first time. As others have said, not very sharp from the factory. Shaved hair but not well at all. Got it to shaving sharp easily but had a very persistent burr that hung on. Anyone else experience this?

Made its way here finally, must have gone fishing ;) but, she be here and is very nice, great job to Surfingringo Surfingringo and Sal Glesser Sal Glesser

In hand, the knife feels like a part of you, due to the balance point and overall shape of the handle. The handle is grippy! very nice, glad it is G10 and not a rubberized type of material, but it grips back. The handle is thin but controllable, as mentioned the guard area is steeper which allows better control of close up cutting, a more shallow type of guard area moves your hand further back and I feel that lessens control a little bit. Of course I love that there isn't any sharpening choil to get hung up while cutting, excellent :)

Right now I just attached some paracord on the bottom of the sheath, removed the belt clip and just slipped the sheath inside the waistband, paracord as a static cord type carry, very discrete and quick way to carry the knife.

It arrived pretty sharp, after a little stropping it would pop paracord so for now I will let it be and see how it holds up, my main use will be for odds and ends and maybe I'll take up fishing this summer !

Here's a quick shot showing the nice handle, being a more plain shape allows for multiple ways to hold/grip it and for that it is very good, anything more could lock your grip into a single position or make it uncomfortable to use if you tried some other grip.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

This knife looks like a real winner. Can you tell how the handle slabs are fastened?

I read it has hidden pins and using a flashlight I can’t detect any pins
G2

What angle and grit levels are you guys playing with? I don't have any experience with this steel yet and wondering where to start it out.

I am very excited about getting one of these. A very practical knife.

Most knives that come out today look cool and that is it. They are not really practical in design. This one is. It is light enough to be a dedicated hiking and wilderness knife. It has an all around task type blade design and the handle should do for most holds. The steel is a big plus as this knife is environment proof.

I am the weirdest person in world.
During last weekend I ordered Waterway (10 % discount baby).....Nothing wrong so far.
But I live in Central Europe. No salt water in like 2000 km. Not even a damm lake near me! I just love the design. It will be a user for sure.

Came today. It shaved easily. No stopping needed.

The first impression is the grippiness of the handle! I think I am going to like this one.

nozcDWb.jpg

Last edited:
Thanx for the pics Reject.

sal

No worries. :) Taking photo of my knives is a bit of fun.
Though I’m not every good at it; :( so it can be frustrating at times.

I thought the Waterway a very simple design when I first opened the box. But when I started photograph it and try to capture its different elements. I started to think its design was much more complex than it first appeared to be.

For example: First look at the narrow handle would suggest that you may not be able get a secure grip on the knife. But take it in hand and the complete opposite is true.

:confused: Maybe I am over thinking this and seeing things that aren’t there. It is little things like the narrowness of scale closest to blade. For a sideways cut you seem to have the advantage the firm grip on the textured scale, but still feel like you the same control you would have griping the blade itself.

And changing the direction of sideway cutting by just flipping knife around seems so easy and safe.

As I said: :confused: I am probably over thinking it on this knife. But I would love to hear any insights on the why and wherefores of the design elements of this knife from you or Lance. :D Or both.

I don't think you are overthinking the design. Design is a very important part of product and we spend a great deal of time working out the details on any of our products. Lance spent many hours refining the Waterway. We appreciate the fact that some, like you, can see the details.

sal

Strange, I must have inadvertently deleted the photo I had put in this thread, here's one from my Instagram along with one more, Sal/Lance the balance on this is excellent as you both well know, nice job.

and that handle texture, while grippy, it feels right so you know it won't slip in your hands during work,

G2

I am glad I got one. The checkering on the handle is awesome for texture.

Should get some use this weekend on some bream and possibly a catfish or two.

Thanks for the observations reject and thanks for the great photo Gary! That is probably my favorite waterway shot that has been posted here so far.

The handle of the Waterway is indeed on the slim side. There were a few reasons that I wanted to keep the handle as thin as possible without losing comfort of grip. The first one was actually for ease of carry. First and foremost, this was a knife that I designed for myself. Whether on the water or off I carry a fixed blade IWB at 1:00. For that reason I wanted the knife to be as thin and light as possible and that is also the reason why I wanted a taco style sheath. The idea was to keep the whole package as thin and low profile as possible for comfort and ease of carry.

The second reason for the handle is that although the Waterway was made to be plenty tough to handle most any type of work, it was designed to be a nimble blade. Most of the work I do with mine I would label as "finesse" cutting. Lots of accurate cuts and detail work at the cleaning table and I find a slimmer handle like that of the Waterway allows me to be a bit more precise with my cutting.

I couldn't be happier with Spyderco's implementation of my design. I'm pretty sure I didn't make it simple, haha. We went through quite a few prototypes before we had things just right. Super grateful for their patience and diligence!

Just ordered mine today, seems like a perfect knife for my uses. I like to clip kydex to my waistband, knife handle pointed down. Seems like the waterway will be comfortable to carry that way. I live on the shore of the pacific north west, so I'm excited to have a rust proof plain edge knife that holds a decent edge. It's very cool that Spyderco worked with Lance to create this.

Back