Waved Paramilitary 2: The knife I didn't realize I've been waiting for

Another thing to consider...... Another company that licenses Emerson designs has a Facebook group that is doing a group exclusive. The person in charge mentioned that a specific steel was the only one licensed to them to use for the Emerson designed knife. That may be the case here as well. S30V may be the only option due to what They are allowing Spyderco to use
I thought the Emerson Wave license already ran out? I know that the Kershaw Emerson designs had 8Cr14MoV and the Zero Tolerance designs had S35VN, Elmax, M390 and CPM20CV.

Mine just arrived. What an awesome knife! :D

Thanks for starting this thread, Kaizen1 Kaizen1 . Without it I probably wouldn't have stumbled across this knife on my own. Wave plus comp lock is such an epic pairing!

s7ZAcCT.jpg

Mine just arrived. What an awesome knife! :D

Thanks for starting this thread, Kaizen1 Kaizen1 . Without it I probably wouldn't have stumbled across this knife on my own. Wave plus comp lock is such an epic pairing!

Seriously. I know some people hate that the grind is so thick, and I also enjoy the FFG on the regular PM2. But it's also nice to have this variation to switch things up.

Just finished reprofiling, sharpening and polishing the edge. Reprofiled on a grinder, sharpened on stones and stropped, all freehand. Definitely not my prettiest work, but I don't have the patience to try to make it any better at this moment

EV2IfZH.jpg

Just put some burlap micarta scales on mine. OMG I'm loving this knife. The scales look and feel awesome. I ordered all clip positions and got right hand tip up only but they look and feel so good I'm not complaining.

VfXE6l3.jpg

Twqr5vF.jpg

3HugJuH.jpg
Pretty and I have same scales on my 10v

Comparisons with some other popular models. All in Flytanium skin.

97233642_110038527219015_120332448436607084_n.jpg

Hi, insta9ves,

May I ask a question, Sorry, actually two question,
1) is the Flytitanium scales in your pic the widely available Stone-wash finish? as I saw some called "Antique Stone wash" finish with some of their scales.
2) how is the scales working with factory screws or other screws? after the installation, any problem with centering and blade play? the reason I ask is from my limited experience with customized scales is they need a lit bit tuned to be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, insta9ves,

May I ask a question, Sorry, actually two question,
1) is the Flytitanium scales in your pic the widely available Stone-wash finish? as I saw some called "Antique Stone wash" finish with some of their scales.
2) how is the scales working with factory screws or other screws? after the installation, any problem with centering and blade play? the reason I ask is from my limited experience with customized scales is they need a lit bit tuned to be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

1. other than the para 3 scale which is a semi stonewash semi bead blasted finish, all the others models in my pics are heavily stonewashed. Flytanium don’t have other finish for the Ti scale. Depending on where you buy it, some vendor calls it stonewashed, some antique stonewashed, but it’s the same thing. My 4 PM2 scales comes from 3 different online knife shops, they all look the same.

2. For Spyderco scales, they work fine with factory screws(Flytanium Benchmade scales comes with custom screws). I never buy aftermarket screws for Spyderco. I find that the knife fitment and centering tend to follow the original, meaning if the blade is off centered to the right side, it’ll stay off to the same side after the scale swap. Be careful with installing the lanyard pin, it’s a pain. I brute force the first 2 with hammer but i decided to file it with sharpmaker stone for the subsequent ones to make it go into the titanium easier. Don’t worry about hurting the scale, worry about hurting the lanyard pin, because despite being steel it’s actually softer than the Ti scale. I actually saw the Ti scale cutting into the steel when im trying to hammer it in. For a sample of 4 PM2, a Para 3 and Yojimbo 2 scales, they works pretty well. Yojimbo 2 scale is the easiest to install. Took me 5min start to finish including locktite.
Be sure to check for straightness of the scale. One of the PM2 came slightly warped, but the screws were able to keep it straight, and it didn’t cause any centering issue. I guess having the steel liner as “skeleton” of the handle helped maintained the integrity despite warped scales.

Got mine and surprised it’s such a chunky monkey! It’s thicker stock and at the tip than my Emersons.

Hi, insta9ves,

Thank you so much for such detailed reply and invaluable information. when I compare different customized scales with the factory ones, I have to say the factory G10 scales are really in top quality. but when you are using a customized scales (for me there is chance that they have larger tolerance than the factory ones) the liners on PM2/3 are the key to keep the integrity of the knife.

actually it's after I assembled the first customized PM3 several time, switched among different scales, did small tuning with different hardware, I decided to buy more PM2 and PM3. It's a really excellent and robust design.

1. other than the para 3 scale which is a semi stonewash semi bead blasted finish, all the others models in my pics are heavily stonewashed. Flytanium don’t have other finish for the Ti scale. Depending on where you buy it, some vendor calls it stonewashed, some antique stonewashed, but it’s the same thing. My 4 PM2 scales comes from 3 different online knife shops, they all look the same.

2. For Spyderco scales, they work fine with factory screws(Flytanium Benchmade scales comes with custom screws). I never buy aftermarket screws for Spyderco. I find that the knife fitment and centering tend to follow the original, meaning if the blade is off centered to the right side, it’ll stay off to the same side after the scale swap. Be careful with installing the lanyard pin, it’s a pain. I brute force the first 2 with hammer but i decided to file it with sharpmaker stone for the subsequent ones to make it go into the titanium easier. Don’t worry about hurting the scale, worry about hurting the lanyard pin, because despite being steel it’s actually softer than the Ti scale. I actually saw the Ti scale cutting into the steel when im trying to hammer it in. For a sample of 4 PM2, a Para 3 and Yojimbo 2 scales, they works pretty well. Yojimbo 2 scale is the easiest to install. Took me 5min start to finish including locktite.
Be sure to check for straightness of the scale. One of the PM2 came slightly warped, but the screws were able to keep it straight, and it didn’t cause any centering issue. I guess having the steel liner as “skeleton” of the handle helped maintained the integrity despite warped scales.

also I try to avoid mixing too many customized hardware on a knife. In the knife as below, u can see a Flaytitanum backspacer on the RGT scales. I had to spend some time to make blade perfectly centered and still have the compressor lock drop. By removing the backspacer, it became much easier.

fag32Vy.jpg

Just put some burlap micarta scales on mine. OMG I'm loving this knife. The scales look and feel awesome. I ordered all clip positions and got right hand tip up only but they look and feel so good I'm not complaining.

VfXE6l3.jpg

Twqr5vF.jpg

3HugJuH.jpg
I love the scales on this. Where did you get it?

Got a Lynch short clip (sandwashed) in the mail and popped it on my waved PM2. This is my favorite PM2 clip in terms of both ergos and aesthetics, but I wasn't sure if it would make sense on a waved knife.

Having the butt exposed to grab onto makes it easy to withdraw -- but this clip makes the butt thicker, and the bend also creates a natural "hill" that my fingers settle behind. At worst it seems like a wash, and at best it might actually be easier to catch hold of this way.

7xZoQ0W.jpg

Back