Waved Paramilitary 2: The knife I didn't realize I've been waiting for

I have three sets of his scales now. Brown, Green and Burlap. Big fan of them. I will say swapping out PM2 scales has gotten exponentially easier over the years. Used to be almost impossible to get the damn things apart. Now I can do it after a couple of bourbons no problem. That has more to do with the amount and maybe type of Loctite used and not the practice.

UueoSKg.jpg

I don't know if anyone else noticed this or not? The wave never fails on this knife. I've had quite a few waved knives including a handful of Emersons. Most worked if you really paid attention and purposely engaged the wave. With this knife I don't even have to think about it! It just always seems to open! Fast, slow, not really paying attention bam! It's in my hand and open! Maybe it's got a bigger/wider wave? I don't know what it is but it works! I fear what it's going to do to the pockets of my jeans.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this or not? The wave never fails on this knife. I've had quite a few waved knives including a handful of Emersons. Most worked if you really paid attention and purposely engaged the wave. With this knife I don't even have to think about it! It just always seems to open! Fast, slow, not really paying attention bam! It's in my hand and open! Maybe it's got a bigger/wider wave? I don't know what it is but it works! I fear what it's going to do to the pockets of my jeans.

I think Spyderco's wave is better than Emerson's. Actually, I am of the controversial opinion that literally everyone who is making or has made Emerson designs does a better job than Emerson's own production knives. Kershaw's are cheaper. Spyderco's Wave is bigger and more usable. ZT makes them fancier and with better materials and a framelock. I honestly think the Spyderco Wave rendition is the best-made one out there.

I have three sets of his scales now. Brown, Green and Burlap. Big fan of them. I will say swapping out PM2 scales has gotten exponentially easier over the years. Used to be almost impossible to get the damn things apart. Now I can do it after a couple of bourbons no problem. That has more to do with the amount and maybe type of Loctite used and not the practice.

UueoSKg.jpg

it seems a big overlap between Wave and Customized scales customers. You have a very good collection.

It almost works too well. I can’t not wave it even if I don’t want to. It just kept hooking my pocket.

Actually I cut my finger before I sent the first copy back. The weight of the blade especially the weight balance makes it super energetic for the wave open.

While the wave does work better on Spydercos, I've found that people often need to work on their technique with Emersons. Some people tend to pull the knife up out of the pocket, but the wave works best when you pull it up and then straight back out of the pocket. The chance of a failed Emerson wave opening diminishes pretty drastically

Can't wait to decorate my Wave PM2. here is what I did,
1) change the scales to G10 Coyote Brown OEM scales. I know it's superficial on scale colors. But IMHO, this bladeops exclusive could have been sold 3X faster if it has a different color or material from the "boring" black G10.
2) add a Flytanium brass backspacer to balance the extra weight on the tip of blade. Now the knife has the same balance as a standard PM2. The total weight after the modification is 4.5oz.
3) Clip. I prefer the factory clip on knife longer than 3 inch. but I don't like the shining polished SS clip. I plan to do a stone wash on the clip in future.

lluLUzVg.jpg

wraZFahg.jpg

Can't wait to decorate my Wave PM2. here is what I did,
1) change the scales to G10 Coyote Brown OEM scales. I know it's superficial on scale colors. But IMHO, this bladeops exclusive could have been sold 3X faster if it has a different color or material from the "boring" black G10.
2) add a Flytanium brass backspacer to balance the extra weight on the tip of blade. Now the knife has the same balance as a standard PM2. The total weight after the modification is 4.5oz.
3) Clip. I prefer the factory clip on knife longer than 3 inch. but I don't like the shining polished SS clip. I plan to do a stone wash on the clip in future.

lluLUzVg.jpg

wraZFahg.jpg
Nice mod! Definitely makes the knife much more balanced. This is one of the the reasons why I didn’t go with Flytanium backspacer after putting on the scale, since it’s gonna make the knife too handle heavy. I might try for waved pm2, but definitely not on ffg pm2 which is already very handle heavy.

Wow just wow. Now that’s a knife that got me out of 10 year hiatus!

Sal and Ernie have a good relationship, obviously Sal licenses Ernie’s wave on several knives already and Ernie licensed the spydi hole on the CQC10 which is no longer in production.

para 2 with the wave.... now that was meant to be! Ordered!

Wow just wow. Now that’s a knife that got me out of 10 year hiatus!

Sal and Ernie have a good relationship, obviously Sal licenses Ernie’s wave on several knives already and Ernie licensed the spydi hole on the CQC10 which is no longer in production.

para 2 with the wave.... now that was meant to be! Ordered!

looks like this is not a one-time run. BladeOps just restocked, just checked and there are 639 available. Last week it was down to 100+.

So, it turned out I had to take my own advice. Had a clip screw that was screwy.

The exchange with Bladeops was painless and easy, with excellent customer service. :thumbsup:

So for those choosing this as a heavy duty "work" knife due to the thicker tip does the steep sabre grind worry you when it comes to sharpening? It seems like this one will get thick behind the edge quick and be less effective as a cutter. Probably not nearly as much a concern for those who wanted it because of the Wave feature and just thinking of it as a tactical, self defense tool that will hopefully never get used.

Of course the even larger concern is whether to get the satin blade or DLC coated :)

Back