Waved Paramilitary 2: The knife I didn't realize I've been waiting for

For me, this knife is really for the special wave function and for the look. I don’t really need this knife to be a dedicated SD knife as any knife can be a SD knife in the right hands. When I carry the knife, definitely I am confident that this knife can handle all the tasks.
But if I know I need a knife to do cut or slice work, I will choose a FFG blade PM2 over it.
So for those choosing this as a heavy duty "work" knife due to the thicker tip does the steep sabre grind worry you when it comes to sharpening? It seems like this one will get thick behind the edge quick and be less effective as a cutter. Probably not nearly as much a concern for those who wanted it because of the Wave feature and just thinking of it as a tactical, self defense tool that will hopefully never get used.

Of course the even larger concern is whether to get the satin blade or DLC coated :)

So for those choosing this as a heavy duty "work" knife due to the thicker tip does the steep sabre grind worry you when it comes to sharpening? It seems like this one will get thick behind the edge quick and be less effective as a cutter. Probably not nearly as much a concern for those who wanted it because of the Wave feature and just thinking of it as a tactical, self defense tool that will hopefully never get used.

Of course the even larger concern is whether to get the satin blade or DLC coated :)

It's fairly thick behind the edge out of the box. Slicing isn't one of this grinds strong points.

Besides, if you are concerned with thickness behind the edge as you sharpen, you ought to be thinning, too. Probably every time you sharpen.

Rick

TBH I like the saber ground blade more than the wave. I don't care for the wave TBH, it snags on this when piercing and effectively shorten the blade length. I wished there's a heavy duty saberground version of PM2 with the normal leaf blade profile.

83310403_169701174573231_3809860679192540941_n.jpg

A quick rant. When Blade ops or anyone else makes a black knife and goes through the trouble to customize it with black screws and black pocket clip for crying out loud don't leave the lock and liners bright shiny chrome! Not picking on Blade ops everyone does it. I think the first time I've seen spyderco do it right was with the recent Yo Jimbo which I believe they did all black!! Rant over.

Mike

A cool unexpected feature is that not only does it deploy perfectly every time I pull it from my pocket, the rough G10 also turns my shorts pocket inside out nearly deploying everything in it as well :thumbsup:

It’s the perfect self defense mechanism. Leave a small amount of dollar bills in that pocket. If someone tries to mug you, deploy the blade and the contents of your pocket. The would be mugger will be focused on your dollar bills on the ground giving you an opening to run away.

Nice job on those! Is the burlap the Rip's regular burlap micarta or the black burlap micarta? Been thinking of doing a Para 3 with one or the other of the burlap scales he makes once I finish up a few other conversions I am doing.

I've been oogling this guy for quite some time now, but I'm curious about whether or not buying one of those "wave" attachments would'nt serve me just as well? Any input?

I didn't buy it for the function of the "wave", but more for the look. I really like the thick stock. Regarding the wave, you should know what you expect.Wave could be tricky if you pull out the knife from a sitting position. On the other hand, due to the thickness of the blade on this PM2 and the superior compressor lock, this one may have the best action among all spyderco waves.
I've been oogling this guy for quite some time now, but I'm curious about whether or not buying one of those "wave" attachments would'nt serve me just as well? Any input?

I didn't buy it for the function of the "wave", but more for the look. I really like the thick stock. Regarding the wave, you should know what you expect.Wave could be tricky if you pull out the knife from a sitting position. On the other hand, due to the thickness of the blade on this PM2 and the superior compressor lock, this one may have the best action among all spyderco waves.
I have some experience with the wave, both in Spyderco, and others.
I'm more wondering if buying an entirely new knife is worth it over the "wave-rings".

Back