Waved Paramilitary 2: The knife I didn't realize I've been waiting for

This could be very subjective. For me, honestly, I feel already too many PM2s in the market, among which I don't see real difference or special reason buying a new exclusive model. At the same time, they were sold out in minutes.

The few times I tried mine I found the PM2 wave far easier to use over my Emersons in the past. With them I needed to be sure to pull back in the pocket to deploy, my PM2 is nearly automatic and I need to think to not deploy it by moving it forward in the pocket. That said I usually carry my knives loose in the pocket so not an issue for me. I got this version simply because I liked the shape, the thicker grind and thought the wave might make a fun bottle cap opener (have not tried it though).

BTW, I am not sure the blade is actually thicker or if it is just the effect of the semi sabre grind which leave more metal along the length of the blade with no distal taper. I don't own any other PM2 model to compare with. Has anyone actually compared thickness of the stock vs. just the difference in grind?

While I love the look of mine with aftermarket scales it is one of those knives I surely don't need but it is easy on the eyes

I've been oogling this guy for quite some time now, but I'm curious about whether or not buying one of those "wave" attachments would'nt serve me just as well? Any input?

I have a 5x5 Pickpocket, but for a knife I no longer own that wasn't a PM2, and I never actually tried the wave. (I didn't own the knife long enough to merit trying it.) With those substantial caveats, I dislike the way it adds bulk to the side of the blade that impedes the cutting path (unlike the Spydie hole) and it adds more height to the blade than a built-in wave would add. I've never tried the Wise Men Fang, but the design is similar to the Pickpocket except it bulks out both sides.

I loved waved knives, and the waved PM2 has the slimmest and slickest wave of any of them (several Emersons, a couple Cold Steels with the Demko thumb plate, Wise Men CS wave mod). Not that the others are bad -- my Emersons wave like champs, as one would expect -- but the absence of the thumb disk on the waved PM2 makes it even better.

Not the most concrete data point (I waffled about whether I should even respond), but hopefully still helpful. :oops: Unrelated, but I also love the grind and the tiny amount of extra weight it adds to the blade. Wave aside, this is a different PM2 and I dig it. :)

hfxQpNA.jpg

Edited to add: Side by side with the other two wave styles I currently have in my collection.

qb4MIrP.jpg

I asked for this knife several years ago, and got laughed out saying it was not a Self defense oriented knife . It’s not a matter of if, but when I get one, because at one time I had 22 para military 2 folders. I now have none and I’m sorely missing one in my rotation, I plan to add micarta scales and titanium screws

I asked for this knife several years ago, and got laughed out saying it was not a Self defense oriented knife . It’s not a matter of if, but when I get one, because at one time I had 22 para military 2 folders. I now have none and I’m sorely missing one in my rotation, I plan to add micarta scales and titanium screws

In exchange for waiting, you get to choose between the plain and DLC versions. :D Either one should look amazing with micarta scales.

The only thing is that the G10 makes it hard to smoothly draw the knife. I'd kind of like to modify it with a titanium clip side scale.

It makes sense that the waved factory Spyderco Delicas, Enduras, and now the PM2 are saber ground. When a FFG blade is cut down to create a wave hook, the already lightweight blade becomes even lighter. This makes waving it out to full lockup more difficult because the blade has too little mass to easily swing all the way open. You have to whip it out of the pocket very smartly to succeed.

With that said, I have a FFG Endura that I waved and it opens fine for me. However, I had to adapt to the very light blade in my technique.

Back