WE 604 Damasteel

Buy the WE 604 Damasteel?

• Total voters
I wanted to see what you all thought of WE Knife's 604 Damasteel. Recently had a birthday and received gift cards that can cover the cost of one. I am very familiar with Reate's quality and WE made knives (Ferrum Forge and Berg Blade Iron Wolf). Figure I would poll you all. Thanks in advance...just in case you ask, there is no specific philosophy of use. I am a collector.

Beautiful knife and I wish I could own one, but it's not worth twice the price imo.

It was worth it to me.

Z1xzgVO.jpg

I have a standard 604 and it's a nice ~$200 knife. I don't think the platform extends to ~$550 with the inclusion of Damasteel however. The rest of the knife just isn't worth that much to support the total price. For that much money I'd consider a Damasteel Mini Horizon or some flavor of an Olamic 247 as similar but better options.

I have about a half dozen WEs and they're nice knives but consistently a notch below Reate or Olamic in quality.

The We has a better shinny finish on their Damasteel than the Reate, at least the ones in the photo above.

Not a big fan of damasteel overall, but I think in combination with the dragonscale handle it is one of the better looking ones. Personally for that money I'd get something else though.

I think Damasteel is more expensive than Damascus. Nonetheless, If you are "sweating" the money, this one may not be for you.

Well then i guess it makes sense it is priced higher than the knife itself.
Those knives look cheap to me btw

Last edited:
I wanted to see what you all thought of WE Knife's 604 Damasteel. Recently had a birthday and received gift cards that can cover the cost of one. I am very familiar with Reate's quality and WE made knives (Ferrum Forge and Berg Blade Iron Wolf). Figure I would poll you all. Thanks in advance...just in case you ask, there is no specific philosophy of use. I am a collector.
I would say get one since you're a collector. Only 70 of the standard blade and 80 of the tanto were made.

They are priced above what I would have expected for just adding a DS blade, but I guess you're paying for the low number run too?

I'd say get one if you like it. The damasteel upcharge wouldn't be worth it to me though.

Damasteel is gorgeous, but when the knife already comes in a premium steel, they extra cost just equates to lower performance. I wouldn't say it's worth it.

Damasteel isn't cheap as a material, nor is it cheap to work with. That finish is a full mirror polish, then etched. Per my conversations with manufacturers, Damasteel up-charges are $200, for cost. I voted to get it, it's far more impressive in person than it is in pics.

Last edited:
Reactions: AF
Thank you all for the input. It looks like it is just as polarizing a result as when I had posted on IG. I am leaning towards owning one after I held a standard 604.

CatLov3r - A good knife is a good knife regardless of where it is made. I own dozens of American made knives, but it is a telling sign when American knife makers are working with WE/Reate/Kizer to make production blades. If you're worried about customer service, the above companies have service centers here in the USA. You're better than that comment.

Back