We 818 Streak

I was in the market to get a new knife and knew I wanted a manual flipper with the blade length between 3" and 3.5". I was trying to stay around the $150ish range. I had narrowed it down to the 818 streak or the 809 practic. Both were M390 and under what I was willing to spend at the time. It was basically a coin flip and went with the 818. I didn't see much on the 818 here so figured I would post.

Right out of the box the knife needed no changes. Didn't have to dial in the action or anything.

The G10 felt nice and had the right amount of grip (not rip your pants G10) The pocket clip has a nice shape but isn't my style just based on color. I might do something with that eventually but it functions nice and I feel is well made. The color of the clip is probably my only complaint.

The blade is M390 so cant be disappointed with that. It came dead center and sharp. I ended up putting a mirror edge on the kme (didn't need sharpening by any means). One thing I noticed in doing that is the edge angle was the same all the way around. If that makes any sense....

The blade has a nice contrast between the stonewash and satin finish (the stonewashed is different from what I have had in the past but I like it). The only markings on the blade is the extremely small "M390" which gives it a clean look.

Then there is the action. I have owned a Massdrop Crux made by We and it was smooth. But I had to break it in. The detent was extremely strong. However they nailed the detent on this one. Super smooth opening and drops shut. I'd say better then the zt's I own. I was extremely impressed.

I'd highly recommend this to someone as a good knife for the money.

Ymohkrd.jpg

GD9w70r.jpg

9PBNiTs.jpg

dq1BQZS.jpg

Blade shape looks like a spanto without a compound bevel. Not a fan. Fortunately the Practic is fairly similar and I love that one.

Blade shape looks like a spanto without a compound bevel. Not a fan. Fortunately the Practic is fairly similar and I love that one.

I was close to getting that one but I think that and the Crux have a similar blade shape. Wich I do like but wanted to try something different. So far it's not bad.

Could WE have a comparison of the 809 & 818? I've been looking at both. Also looking at the Crux too. Dern this hobby & all it's glory! o_O

Last edited:
Isn't "strong" just how Ferrum Forge does their detents? It's not quite fair to imply that Crux has a lesser action. I for one prefer my detents to be like the Crux's.

I did have a photo of both the 809 and 818 together but can't find it now.
I gave my 809 an aggressive workout in the part time job I have, until it was completely blunt. It took me about 30 minutes to get it shaving sharp again.

I've since switched to the 818 Streak. It's a bit longer and has a bit more cutting power for thick cardboard than the 809.

Both are great knives.

Isn't "strong" just how Ferrum Forge does their detents? It's not quite fair to imply that Crux has a lesser action. I for one prefer my detents to be like the Crux's.
I'm not sure how ferrum forge detents are but after breaking it the crux is near perfect. It just took time to get it there.

Back