We have a winner- Pay It Forward Giveaway

This ‘pay it forward’ giveaway is a tribute to the generosity of Blade Forums member Mr. Clay Neal. When I inquired about where I could find a replacement shield for a pre-1986 Buck 303 Cadet, he graciously sent me what I was after, and more lagniappe. So, I will be giving away a pre-86 (long pull) Buck 301 Stockman in fine shape to the winner of this exercise.

To enter, just post a traditional-pocket-knife-related anecdote or memory that you think may be of general interest to folks on the forum, and indicate in your post that you want to be considered for the GAW. If you include a related knife pic, so much the better, but that won't affect your chances. Whoever posts the first reply to this will be entry #1, the second reply will be #2, and so on; limit one post per person. Last chance to enter will be midnight on Friday, July 31st. Next weekend, I’ll count ‘em up, put all of the numbers in a hat, and pick a winner.

Thank you all for enjoyable reading and viewing, and good luck to you!

I have won far too many GAWs recently to feel like it would be right for me to enter, but I do love to participate. I am am not in, but here is my little story.

My first story, I picked because I have a picture handy. My first traditional knife as an adult was a gift from another Bladeforums denizen, @EyeDog. I posted a thread asking for suggestions for a first traditional, and he sent me this beauty:
full

I ended up not carrying it, so I payed it forward and gave it to my dad. But it was enough to get me into traditionals.

My more recent (and Buck related) story is one I don't have a picture for at the moment. I recently won a Buck 110 with ebony scales in a GAW. But I only won because of the generosity of another member paying their initial win forward and passing on the good luck. There is a lot of generosity here, and it makes me want to keep participating and paying it forward too.

I'm in. A 301 long pull is a dream/grail knife for me.
The only "funny" knife memory I have that might be of interest involves a BSA camping trip.
They took us to a cow pasture recently voided of cow.
The first night the scout master (I forget his name) borrowed a fixed blade from one of my fellow scouts.
He was giving us a lecture on what you can feed your campfire, and used the borrowed knife to chop up a dried (or at least semi-dried)
cow chip!
We learned something Scour Master was not intending us to learn: NEVER LOAN YOU KNIFE TO HIM!

I'm in!
I walked into an antique store a few years back and saw this 110 that caught my eye for a very reasonable price so I picked it up not really knowing much about Buck. As I started researching and learning about the history of the company and specifically the 110 and subsequently the 112 I began picking them up every time I would see an oldie...fast forward and now I have Buck 110's and 112's hidden all over my house so that my wife doesn't find them. And on the off chance she sees me coming back from the mailbox with BOTM or special I get the dreaded eye roll from her.....Anyway...I am addicted to Buck knives now.

Wow! Very generous of you! I don’t post much, and wouldn’t feel right asking to be in the drawing. But I would still like contribute.
My dad is one to go to estate sales and garage sales looking for anything that may strike his fancy. You never know what he may bring home. And he’s always on the lookout for vintage pocket knifes for me. He’s scored me tons of older schrades, bucks, case, and many many others. Usually for just a couple dollars. Sometimes he will bring a whole box to me.
Well one night we were going through one of said boxes. Looking at all the different brands and patterns. Then I noticed he was having a difficult time opening one. He said “It’s got no nick to open it.” So of course, I had to try. Yup. No nick. I tried and tried but could not get it. I just stuck it in my pocket and told him I would go home and see what I could do. Probably just full of gunk and seized up. I spent two hours rinsing and oiling this little knife. Never did I get it open. Gave up. Couple weeks later Pops came by the house. When he was leaving I remembered the knife. As I was giving it back, and conveying my disappointment, MY son (10 at the time)asked to see it. “Sure!” I said. “Knock yourself out, it don’t open” Within literally one minute he had it open.
Turns out it was a “trick knife”. Sometimes called a magic knife. By imperial. Well it got us all right. We still laugh about it. How a knife outsmarted two generations. Now we always joke each other, “You need one of the kids to handle that?”

I'm not in as the 301 is not a favorite. Buck's 334 Trapper is a model I enjoy using.
Still, a good discussion and thanks for this offer. DM

Shoot, for a pre 86 long pull 301, count me in.
Not a Buck story, but I was getting gas one day and I saw and this old guy I know was pumping gas on the other pump. He's in his upper 70's and still logs the old fashioned way, skidding them out with mules and draft horses. He had his horses loaded and was going to work, and he was telling me how he still logs, but mostly by himself because the younger generation was too lazy. He told me how he had some younger family member that helps him sometimes, but he couldn't get him out of bed on this particular morning. He then pulled his knife out of his overalls pocket and asked if I had ever seen one like it? It was an old Case single blade folding hunter, in blue bone about as worn as he was. He told me that he and his brother had each bought identical knives years ago and they were the only two in our part of the country that had any like them, but his brother had lost his through the years. He put it back in his pocket and told me to come out and see him. Thats all I got
Just thought it was a pretty cool story and his knife was a pretty prized possession right up there with his horses.

Shoot, for a pre 86 long pull 301, count me in.
Not a Buck story, but I was getting gas one day and I saw and this old guy I know was pumping gas on the other pump. He's in his upper 70's and still logs the old fashioned way, skidding them out with mules and draft horses. He had his horses loaded and was going to work, and he was telling me how he still logs, but mostly by himself because the younger generation was too lazy. He told me how he had some younger family member that helps him sometimes, but he couldn't get him out of bed on this particular morning. He then pulled his knife out of his overalls pocket and asked if I had ever seen one like it? It was an old Case single blade folding hunter, in blue bone about as worn as he was. He told me that he and his brother had each bought identical knives years ago and they were the only two in our part of the country that had any like them, but his brother had lost his through the years. He put it back in his pocket and told me to come out and see him. Thats all I got
Just thought it was a pretty cool story and his knife was a pretty prized possession right up there with his horses.

My friends father and grandfather used to pull cedars out of the woods in Michigan's Upper Peninsula with a team of Percheron horses they had there on a 100 year farm. They would also winter Clydesdales and Percherons from Mackinaw Island as they wouldn't keep the horses on the island thru the winter. Big beautiful horses......
I would feed them with a Cat loader in 3 feet of snow.
I watched the wolves out of the upstairs window one night circling the horses in the field, but those horses were so big nothing happened.

A team of Percheron's pulled the old mans casket on a wagon in the funeral procession. Not a single car passed that procession in either direction as it went 5 miles down a 2 lane state highway. That old guy got respect even after he died.:thumbsup:

Sorry, but your cool little story reminded me of this. I hadn't thought about any of that in years.
Thanks.
Years later we found a Buck 118 in the old guys hunting stuff. My friend still has it.

edit; not an entry.
Thanks

Last edited:
Way back in the day when a kid could carry a pocket knife, I had a pretty 3 blade stockman, can't remember the name of it. We were on the school bus and I was showing it to a friend. I had sharpened it and somehow it slipped and I still carry the scar on the side of my hand. It must have been in the late 50's (1950's).

Have a blessed day,

Leon

P.S. Count me in, thanks.

This ‘pay it forward’ giveaway is a tribute to the generosity of Blade Forums member Mr. Clay Neal. When I inquired about where I could find a replacement shield for a pre-1986 Buck 303 Cadet, he graciously sent me what I was after, and more lagniappe. So, I will be giving away a pre-86 (long pull) Buck 301 Stockman in fine shape to the winner of this exercise.

To enter, just post a traditional-pocket-knife-related anecdote or memory that you think may be of general interest to folks on the forum, and indicate in your post that you want to be considered for the GAW. If you include a related knife pic, so much the better, but that won't affect your chances. Whoever posts the first reply to this will be entry #1, the second reply will be #2, and so on; limit one post per person. Last chance to enter will be midnight on Friday, July 31st. Next weekend, I’ll count ‘em up, put all of the numbers in a hat, and pick a winner.

Thank you all for enjoyable reading and viewing, and good luck to you!
Thank you sir! I received it in the mail last night and must say that it is a fine looking 301...

Back