WE Knives? Another high end Chinese company?

Was thinking of getting one of their cheaper liner locks like the 709 or 703, etc. Can anyone who owns one of their cheaper liner locks comment on how well the liner lock has held up? ie. how much % has it changed over the course of ownership.

From my experience WE have better action and finish than ZT.
I'd say, in general, WE has more consistent action than ZT, but action is also a matter of personal preference. I think WE's fit and finish is right about on par with ZT. It's hard to compare the two because WE has dramatic colors and contours whereas ZT is a little more utilitarian.

In terms of the import brands fit and finish vs. popular US brands, I kinda rank them as [Reate (including Begg and Mah brands), CKF] > [ZT, WE, Rike] > Spyderco > [Benchmade, Kizer] > [Ruike, RealSteel, Tangram].

Bear in mind the fit and finish of all these knives are acceptable, I'm just ranking them in the order of likelihood of getting a perfect specimen. Tangram falling at the end of the list is really a win for them given that the knives can be found for $25.

For me ZT knives very often scream with their look - we're made that way to be as cheap as possible.

No self respecting WE knife should have less than 4 variations

39303150754_97825375b6_k.jpg

No self respecting WE knife should have less than 4 variations

39303150754_97825375b6_k.jpg

I think the black blade/carbon fiber would look good with the plain TI end (can't think of a good word). Getting my blue/bronze tomorrow - very stoked

I think it would look really good with a very shiny satin blade, CF and dark bronze Ti, the blade would be neat and shiny looking that way through the dark frame. :thumbsup:

I got the WE 709E Thraex in last week. What a beast! It is my second one in the budget line and it is amazing how WE delivers for just 100 dollars!

Was thinking of getting one of their cheaper liner locks like the 709 or 703, etc. Can anyone who owns one of their cheaper liner locks comment on how well the liner lock has held up? ie. how much % has it changed over the course of ownership.

I've had the 703 for about 8 months and used it fairly regularly for cutting up cardboard. Haven't noticed the liner lock up at a different position since the day I received it. Been holding steady around 25%. If it has moved over time it can't be more than a small fraction of a millimeter.

"If it has moved over time it can't be more than a small fraction of a millimeter."

I've found that to be the case with every We knife I own. The lockbar or liner engages the tang in the same early, but fully-seated position it did when it came out of the box, even after a year or two of flipping and use. OTOH, the lockbar engagement on my ZTs tends to creep to the right a bit before settling in, albeit very gradually.

I just got confirmed from WE knives that their D2 steel contains 0.585% Vanadium.
American or European is around 0.8 to 0.9 so there is a difference.
My personal impression is that WE is spot on with their heath treat (I own two blades of them in D2) so even with a slightly lower percentage of V, they perform very well.
It certainly isn't 8CR13mov steel, because that runs typically between the 0.1 to 0.2% V.

Back