WE/Massdrop Crux and Dao

stevekolt

Gold Member
I'm thinking about adding one of these to the collection. Anybody here have one, or both of these? Why/would you choose one over the other?

I don't have the Dao, but think the Crux is a pretty perfect EDC size. Since they both have similar overall specs, I'd say simply choose the one that visually appeals to you the most.

33eu63b.jpg

I owned a Crux. It's a fantastic knife. Really sleek and generally well made. Main issue was my finger placement made it tough to dislodge the lock bar sometimes. Just had to adjust my fingers.

I owned a Crux. It's a fantastic knife. Really sleek and generally well made. Main issue was my finger placement made it tough to dislodge the lock bar sometimes. Just had to adjust my fingers.

I found that issue too. But thought it may be more of an issue with my "tender" hands. . I just did a bit of work on it. Now has a dream action. Ground out the front scale to give a skoosh more lock access. Did a bit of rounding on the pressure point corner of the lock. Also ground the blade choil to a similar size of the Falcon.

16apkyf.jpg

I have both -- I really like both of them!

The Crux is a little beefier, with a stockier handle that provides for a more secure grip. The grind isn't quite as aggressive, but it is definitely thin behind the edge. Makes for a nice EDC that is certainly capable of some harder use tasks.

The Dao has an excellent blade shape in my opinion, but I am partial to the modified wharncliffe/Insingo-esque blade shape. The Dao is a bit better suited to finer tasks in my opinion, and essentially replaced my Small Sebenza in my carry rotation.

Another option to consider is the Buc -- the blade is a bit more "out there" than the Dao, but the added blade weight makes for a nicer deployment and a stabby but sturdy blade tip.

And yet another option to consider is the Keen (not FF, but still MD/WE) -- a simple thing executed well. Can't go wrong with that.

I really think these MD/FF/WE knives are among the best value buys in the production knife world.

PM2 (for size comparison), Dao, Crux, Buc

Blade stock thickness is greater on the Dao (middle), but has a more aggressive grind, so I believe it ends up thinner behind the edge. PM2 on the right again for comparison.

The flipper tab is substantially different between the two. I think the Crux's tab is almost too prominent, and the Dao flirts with being too small. Depending on your flipping/carry style, this may affect your use of either.

Hope this helps! Overall, I very much like both.

I sanded out the "finger choil" for more room for my finger on the Crux. Also sanding the finger groove corner on the lock bar helps. Other than that, the Crux is really good. Don't have the Dao though.

EgiJpBN.jpg

The flipper tab is substantially different between the two. I think the Crux's tab is almost too prominent,...

Yes, every time I put my hand in my pocket that pocket pecker somewhat pricks my hand because of the aggressive jimping. Might be the next thing I modify. Or just keep my hand out-of-pocket. :confused:

Back