We need a Machete sub forum

I kind of feel like machetes are the red headed step child of the knife world. I still love them though. If we had a Machete forum, I'd stop posting machete stuff in the sword section, because as we all know from the great Machete-Sword debate from a few weeks ago, a machete isn't a sword. Anyway, here's a video from a couple of months back of a turkey being chopped in half. (A panabas isn't a machete...but I digress....)

I kind of feel like machetes are the red headed step child of the knife world. I still love them though. If we had a Machete forum, I'd stop posting machete stuff in the sword section, because as we all know from the great Machete-Sword debate from a few weeks ago, a machete isn't a sword. Anyway, here's a video from a couple of months back of a turkey being chopped in half. (A panabas isn't a machete...but I digress....)

Well according to the great machete VS sword debate, in many cases there is a wide crossover between them. If you're chopping hanging turkeys and beer bottles, this is the place to be. Plus it keeps the sword subforum rolling along! :D

Well, I noticed nobody has tagged Spark Spark in here. That would be the only way to get anything new done, as all that happens around here requires his approval. So what do you think Kevin, would it be a crazy idea to rename the "Sword Discussion" forum to something like "Sword and Machete Discussion" and have sub in here specifically for machetes?

Show me how many machete threads there've been in the last 3 months
A quick title search of “machete” pulls up 50 pages of threads. The word probably comes up as frequently as the term “chopper”. Perhaps we could call it Ethnographic to include parang, bolo, bill hooks, slashers, pioneer and hundreds of other terms associated with all sorts of tool/sidearms

n2s

Last edited:
A quick title search of “machete” pulls up 50 pages of threads. The word probably comes up as frequently as the term “chopper”. Perhaps we could call it Ethnographic to include parang, bolo, bill hooks, slashers, pioneer and hundreds of other terms associated with all sorts of tool/sidearms

n2s

Wow, you weren't kidding.

And then another 19 pages of threads if the title includes an S at the end:

Your search returns posts within threads. This is what I'm talking about

One issue that we can expect to run into is that there are many names for these kinds of tools. A machete, cutlass, panga, barong, Kane knife, corn knife....(and several hundred others) can all refer to very similar tools. Then there are military designations like the US 1904, 1909, 1917, US Medical Corps, 1005 Engineers, Cruver Collins Air Force bailout, Case/Imperial/Cataragus folding machetes, V-44, Woodman’s Pal. Not to mention the numerous brands.

It is hard to pin it down under a single search criteria.

n2s

Not sure how much action and interest machetes would get, but I would like to think it could someday be as popular as the razors, scissors and grooming forum.

Yeah that forum is prob going to be shut soon

I'm all on on big fat chopping blades and machetes. It's work to jump around to different forums and find those threads. If this does get started up I'd be all over it.

What this thread needs is more smatchet.

Cheers
GC
Agreed!
03rpcux.jpg

YDR5ojg.jpg

4Jhw1vY.jpg

I
Your search returns posts within threads. This is what I'm talking about

My two cents is that machetes do well in the sword sub forum. There is crossover but for most of us machetes are sword like enough that they do well here. And it seems to do more with use and intention than the actual tool. I've started a thread called "Sword of the Day" and I will no doubt have a post with a machete at some point.

Back