We need a Machete sub forum

zLzHzd8.jpg
Nice! I love those Condor machetes, and the bushcraft parang is my favorite- similar shape. That duku parang looks pretty badass too. Do u get into a lot of heavy chopping with that beast?

Nice! I love those Condor machetes, and the bushcraft parang is my favorite- similar shape. That duku parang looks pretty badass too. Do u get into a lot of heavy chopping with that beast?
Yes, it is a pretty sturdy chopper. The blade tapers from about 4.5mm at the base to 1.7mm at the tip, giving it a really nice balance.

That bushcraft machete looks like a really good pack tool.

It chops like an axe. I thinned our the convex edge as well as reprofiling the big round handle. Both mods are necessary but it generates a ton of power and feels great in the hand.

It chops like an axe. I thinned our the convex edge as well as reprofiling the big round handle. Both mods are necessary but it generates a ton of power and feels great in the hand.
That is cool. I live in Northern California, and while I have found mine useful around the camp, and for other jobs around the car it is great. I've tried it while hiking and found it a little too long. It is easier to hike around things than blaze through them chopping, when I did need to cut things out of the way my fixed blade (9 inch blade) was more than adequate. Yours looks like a nice middle ground.

That is cool. I live in Northern California, and while I have found mine useful around the camp, and for other jobs around the car it is great. I've tried it while hiking and found it a little too long. It is easier to hike around things than blaze through them chopping, when I did need to cut things out of the way my fixed blade (9 inch blade) was more than adequate. Yours looks like a nice middle ground.
I'm in jersey where I mostly use these to split firewood and take down branches. I'm heading up to the pocono mountains next week so we'll see what I end up getting into up there. The bushcraft parang's too heavy for bushwhacking, unless you want to walk straight and there's a big tree in your way! My becker bk-5 or ontario's sp-45 are nice and light and slice small branches out of the way when hiking around in the woods, but can still split a log if needed. I have lots of stuff inbetween as well - 9-10" choppers are pretty sweet tools.

The Atrox is a really cool looking blade woth a great handle shape, but despite being so big it looks to me like it's centrally weighted more for knife tasks than machete tasks - the tip tapers way down. Does it chop ok?
That makara looks cool like something you'd see in a kung-fu movie. I only have 1 sword length condor - a discord I picked up used along with a warlock for a good price. That discord has a pretty obtuse scandi grind all the way down it. It kind of causes angled deflections when chopping wood. I've been thinking about setting up a jig to do some serious grinding and put a convex edve on it. I'd have to take a lot of steel off and be careful not to affect the temper. 1075's not the hardest stuff to begin with. I may do it by hand with my KOWS grinder, but I think I'd rather be really careful to keep things even at first. I'm def taking off that back tip edge too, maybe grind a curve back to the tip. I think it could be an amazing log splitter & chopper if I dont jack it up.

The two Condor products I have I really like. (I got a Yoshimi machete but didn't like the feel at all and exchanged it for something else.) The Makara is super fun to swing; it cuts well and I think it would do for one/two inch limbs and the like but I think the blade is still too thin to really chop with. The Atrox is special. It feels great in the hand. Every time I pick it up the urge to chop/cut something with it is overwhelming. I would recommend it to anyone who likes a big knives. I like altering machetes (but not expensive machetes haha I don't trust my skills that much yet) but I think convex is the way to go for a dedicated chopper.

Machetes are a garden type tool to me that live in the garage or tool shed ( I like the light south American stuff ) so they never seemed to fit in GKD and I never thought to post them in the sword forum either, I have just posted them in the Axe tomahawk and hatchet forum but I'm not sure that's really the best place for them either maybe the best of the available choices but theres gotta be something better.

It think a machete forum would be great if it gets enough traction.
I think theres enough people who enjoy a good machete, just look at all the discussion of large thick chopping knives.

Machetes are a garden type tool to me that live in the garage or tool shed ( I like the light south American stuff ) so they never seemed to fit in GKD and I never thought to post them in the sword forum either, I have just posted them in the Axe tomahawk and hatchet forum but I'm not sure that's really the best place for them either maybe the best of the available choices but theres gotta be something better.

It think a machete forum would be great if it gets enough traction.
I think theres enough people who enjoy a good machete, just look at all the discussion of large thick chopping knives.
Nice looking bolo machete! I you're right about how there's no good category fit for big choppers and machetes. Which other tools do you like?

They are a tool to some and a weapon to others, They are also an immensely interesting subject spanning many centuries of development and specialization all over the globe.

n2s
Yes absolutely there is a lot of history to discuss with them if that is where ones area of interest lies.

I would have nothing to contribute with such a discussion because my interest only lies in their use as a tool, but I'd certainly read.

Back