We were all new here once

killgar

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes new members don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach new members a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

UPDATE: It's been over 8 years since I started this thread, and I thought it was time for an update.

When I started this thread back in 2012, new members were sometimes treated a bit rough. But things have changed since then. These days most active members are eager to help new members. So I don't want you to get the impression that you're entering a lions den where the members are just waiting to bite your head off. I think you'll find the vast majority of members to be friendly and helpful. So welcome, and enjoy :).

Last edited:
+100
I was reading a recently closed thread that got pretty acrimonious. I'm sure you know which one.
Notwithstanding trolls, shills and people of that ilk, most of us are here because we think things that cut are cool.
It's conceptually a short step from "zombie-fighting-mall-ninja-badassery" fantasies. The guidance and indulgence of the more experienced on this forum did help me go from the United Cutlery Combat Commander Boot knife to Kershaws and Beckers and eventually to trying to make my own.

Having said this, I also think that the noobs need to take the jibes in their stride and have the maturity to extract the good advice from the strong reactions. One will always see strong reactions from people passionate about anything. If you are going to get on board and expect everyone to agree with you, its going to be tough. I think the standard term here is "butthurt".

I'd like to think we are all civilised enough to
a) indulge those that want to learn
b) BE those that WANT to learn.

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

Well said, being a noob I noticed most people are very helpful and willing to share their knowledge, but a few just seem to just hang around to make unhelpful, mean and sometimes plain insulting comments to questions or queries made buy people who just want to learn and share,.... Kris

Great thread. And it gets tiresome when there is a testosterone pizzing contest with x trying to out macho y. It takes way less energy for me to admit that I am less skilled or knowledgable than another. I actually feel a little intimidated on some forums at times because the expectation is to be macho man extraordinare, and I get caught up in it.

There is/was some members that used to seem to just be here to try to run people off that were new. They seemed to be territorial almost. But, the worst of these seem to have had been dealt with by the mods. It really has improved over the last few years.

Glad you guys are mostly pretty nice. After years of scanning this forum I, of course, screwed up on my first post. Completely missed the "what is my knife worth" sticky. Don't know how I missed it.
Thanks for not spanking me for being a fng.
Cool forum, glad you folks are here.

An excellent post Mr. Killgar. Thank you.

This post should be manditory reading for all members on their 1-year aniversary here and then again, perhaps, every thousand or so posts.

Great thread. And it gets tiresome when there is a testosterone pizzing contest with x trying to out macho y. It takes way less energy for me to admit that I am less skilled or knowledgable than another. I actually feel a little intimidated on some forums at times because the expectation is to be macho man extraordinare, and I get caught up in it.

Yeah being 'macho man extraordinare' and beating the paste out of someone on an internet forum is like winning a race at the Special Olympics, you may win, but you still have a special need,....Kris

Last edited:
Well said, being a noob I noticed most people are very helpful and willing to share their knowledge, but a few just seem to just hang around to make unhelpful, mean and sometimes plain insulting comments to questions or queries made buy people who just want to learn and share,.... Kris

aint that the truth. some people just dont know. it is not they are stupid they are just trying to learn.

Back