We were all new here once

Is this the official Newbie Questions Thread?

I'm new here, not a blade enthusiast, but I like nice tools and I really like a good bargain.
Looking for a EDC flipper, about 3 1/2", prefer all metal, 4-5oz is OK, 3oz would be awesome, $40 would be a nice price.

A fellow posted pics in a firearms forum of some knives he'd purchased, and suddenly I "need" to EDC a ball bearing flipper. Two of his choices that I really liked the looks of were the Ruike P108 (14C28N with stainless frame) and Two Sun TS-21 ("D2" blade with titanium frame).

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I like the looks of the Ruike. The Two Sun has a "D2" blade and titanium chassis, so it seems like a winner in materials quality, but the Ruike seems like a winner in fit/finish. Pricing on the Two Sun knives are all over the place, everybody sells the Ruike for $39.95 as if it was price-fixed. If I can get a TS-21 for around $40 it seems like a steal, the guy on 1911forum paid about twice that for his.

What do you think, should I buy the P108, the TS-21, or "stay away from that Chinese crap and buy a **** instead"?

Welcome. добро пожаловать. Bienvenidos. 欢迎. Willkommen :D

Last edited:
I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.
Wanna be my Sponsor! Lol good stuff man. Im not too new to knives, Ive been collecting now for a year and a half, but have only gained knowledge and experience from my own actions. I ask questions when I need to. I just bought my first membership tonthis forum 5 minutes ago and this is my first reply! I am putting myself on a ban from buying knives aswell. I have sp3nt thousands of dollars in the past 6 months buying off ebay and a couple other sights. I feel asthough ive done well in the sense of buying at a reasonable price which will help me profit in the future. Ive always been into antiques and collectibles which I have bought and sold now for about an 15 years, so thats where i get my common sense from. The reason for the ban is bc I have put out so much money without making any and bringing mone back in, Something I normally do not do! Now Im getting very low on cash which is about to affect me if I dont do something about it soon. I know how to make money and sell, but I just havent had the interest or it could be bc Ive been very lazy and dealing with other things that are negative in my life. I beleive i use my affection to knives as a way to hide from everything else bc it makes me feel better! I hope what im writing is making sense to you or someone else. I havent been able to vent like this about this topic and I need to release this frustration. Anyways, i have so much inventory, not only knive, but a lot of everything else aswell!!! I go yardsaling everyweek to pick stuff up that I know i can profit from. Have i profited from it yet? The answer is NO! Ive been very very lazy. I keep buying and buying. I can open up my own store right now if i wanted. My knife inventory consists of my personals and then everything else!! Lol I have a lot, thousands of knives and i need to start somewhere. I need to start making money and bring my savings back up to where it should be today. Untill then i cannot be truly happy about my collection or about what ive been doing. Im disabled from a spinal surgery i had last year so its necessary for me to start doing the right thing here in order to survive. If you or anyonr else has any pointers, suggestions, or any comments for me it would be greatly appreciated. Like i said im new to this forum and dont exactly know how everything works. I wanted to get my feet wet and maybe meet someone that i can talk to. Thanks for reading my rambles. Have a nice day everyone

Wanna be my Sponsor! Lol good stuff man. Im not too new to knives, Ive been collecting now for a year and a half, but have only gained knowledge and experience from my own actions. I ask questions when I need to. I just bought my first membership tonthis forum 5 minutes ago and this is my first reply! I am putting myself on a ban from buying knives aswell. I have sp3nt thousands of dollars in the past 6 months buying off ebay and a couple other sights. I feel asthough ive done well in the sense of buying at a reasonable price which will help me profit in the future. Ive always been into antiques and collectibles which I have bought and sold now for about an 15 years, so thats where i get my common sense from. The reason for the ban is bc I have put out so much money without making any and bringing mone back in, Something I normally do not do! Now Im getting very low on cash which is about to affect me if I dont do something about it soon. I know how to make money and sell, but I just havent had the interest or it could be bc Ive been very lazy and dealing with other things that are negative in my life. I beleive i use my affection to knives as a way to hide from everything else bc it makes me feel better! I hope what im writing is making sense to you or someone else. I havent been able to vent like this about this topic and I need to release this frustration. Anyways, i have so much inventory, not only knive, but a lot of everything else aswell!!! I go yardsaling everyweek to pick stuff up that I know i can profit from. Have i profited from it yet? The answer is NO! Ive been very very lazy. I keep buying and buying. I can open up my own store right now if i wanted. My knife inventory consists of my personals and then everything else!! Lol I have a lot, thousands of knives and i need to start somewhere. I need to start making money and bring my savings back up to where it should be today. Untill then i cannot be truly happy about my collection or about what ive been doing. Im disabled from a spinal surgery i had last year so its necessary for me to start doing the right thing here in order to survive. If you or anyonr else has any pointers, suggestions, or any comments for me it would be greatly appreciated. Like i said im new to this forum and dont exactly know how everything works. I wanted to get my feet wet and maybe meet someone that i can talk to. Thanks for reading my rambles. Have a nice day everyone
Makes sense to me, and I'm sure to a lot of other folks around here. You came to the right place ;).

Sorry to hear about your condition. as for selling knives, if you buy a Gold Bladeforums membership you can post and sell knives here at Bladeforums on the for sale exchange. Lots of people looking to buy knives browse the exchange looking for knives they want to buy, or ones that simply spark their fancy.

Welcome to Bladeforums. And welcome to all of our new members :).

I'm guessing this is the thread where newbs introduce themselves?

Hi, I'm Dan from Derbyshire in the UK, I have one knife apart from my cook's knives. I'm here because I started watching Forged In Fire and became fascinated by the processes. I'm 51 years old and my memory from my youth is that there were many knives around different for whittling and things boys did in the 1970s. The one that the big boys had were called scout knives and watching FIF reminded me of these great tools. The other reason for interest in having a knife is that each year as my family go on holiday we try and have a fire, usually on a beach. I decided that having a decent knife would be handy.

So I bought this knife on ebay France, it's apparently an old Aitor from Spain, with a 5 1/2 inch blade but that's all I could find out about it, so if anyone has any more info about the age or model I'd love to hear it. To me, it's what I remember the best looking scout knives looked like. I've since watched a few videos about sharpening and used a stone to put an edge on it, but I've just ordered some higher number stones to get a far better edge. The sheath was handmade in Nottingham by www.jayger.co.uk. That's about it for me, thanks for having me.

I can't work out how to post this as an image :(
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By0kMpVNA98tWU1zOXF5SFhyd0IxQkF3Qlp4ZUQ4QVVsTUJF/view

Hello everyone my name is Whit I am from Cullman Alabama. I am 40 years old I just turned 40 anyway I am new tonight collecting I have a collection of about 46 knives. The only thing that I am proud of is that my cheapest knife is about $240.I am really interested in getting my hands on a Skike rogue shark knife,after meeting him at the blade show in Atlanta.

Hello everyone my name is Whit I am from Cullman Alabama. I am 40 years old I just turned 40 anyway I am new tonight collecting I have a collection of about 46 knives. The only thing that I am proud of is that my cheapest knife is about $240.I am really interested in getting my hands on a Skike rogue shark knife,after meeting him at the blade show in Atlanta.
dang! sounds like a sweet collection! post pics! :D

... I have a collection of about 46 knives. The only thing that I am proud of is that my cheapest knife is about $240...
Hardcore :thumbsup: . Discounting the Ladybug/Manbug, my least expensive knife (purchase price) is about $185 :( . Valued at $250 if you scale off of Amazon/eBay ;).

Is this the official Newbie Questions Thread?

I'm new here, not a blade enthusiast, but I like nice tools and I really like a good bargain.
Looking for a EDC flipper, about 3 1/2", prefer all metal, 4-5oz is OK, 3oz would be awesome, $40 would be a nice price.

A fellow posted pics in a firearms forum of some knives he'd purchased, and suddenly I "need" to EDC a ball bearing flipper. Two of his choices that I really liked the looks of were the Ruike P108 (14C28N with stainless frame) and Two Sun TS-21 ("D2" blade with titanium frame).

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I like the looks of the Ruike. The Two Sun has a "D2" blade and titanium chassis, so it seems like a winner in materials quality, but the Ruike seems like a winner in fit/finish. Pricing on the Two Sun knives are all over the place, everybody sells the Ruike for $39.95 as if it was price-fixed. If I can get a TS-21 for around $40 it seems like a steal, the guy on 1911forum paid about twice that for his.

What do you think, should I buy the P108, the TS-21, or "stay away from that Chinese crap and buy a **** instead"?

I don't know if you're looked for an assisted flipper. But if you want a manual (since that's what i prefer) i would go Kershaw Skyline all day. It's not all metal, but it is way lighter and you will be glued to it. There is a reason it is in everyone's top knives.

If you want assisted and metal construction, i would go kershaw again with the Cryo. But you can also get the Blur or Leek

Assisted opening/flippers in the 40$ range for EDC you won't go wrong with Kershaw. It is what they do best and like i said, there is a reason why they are on the top of everyone's list. Every knife addict/collector or user owns Kershaws

Hello Blade Forum. Just signed up a few days thought I should introduce myself. Been carrying knives since I can remember. First real knife was an old Scrade double blade pocket knife when I was about 9 years old. Been a knife in pocket ever since. I thought $60 for a Kershaw Blur was expansive, then spent $100 on a full size Griptilian. Now got my eye on the Zero Tolerance 562 sprint run. I guess Chris Reeve will be the next step lol. Anyway glad to be a part of the community and you guys being my enablers.

Josh

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Hey Josh. I'm new here too and went through the same process as you. My first knife was a little tiny gerber fixed blade back in 4th or 5th grade. I stepped up into the 30-50$ range kershaws like the skyline & cryo. I moved into the 60-80 dollar range picking up a cold steel code 4 and Sog spec elite 1. Made the big move on a Spyderco Sage 1 and soon after a large Benchmade Grip sheepsfoot. Never looked back since. Got a Bench North Fork, Freek and a Sage 3 and Para 3 to go with the spyderco. Last week i bit the bullet and got a Large Sebenza 21 Insingo with the Carbon Fiber handle. You will be the happiest man alive when you do it. But now since i got it, i'm looking at a few Zero Tolerance's and Lionsteel. .....This is going to get expensive....

Hey all, I'm Wervenyt. I've been into knives since I was young, and have always been interested in both mechanical elegance and excellence. Thanks to these facets of my personality, knife collecting has been a hobby of mine for the last few years. I generally carry one of a few Spydercos (Zulu, DF2, ...) or a ZT 0562. I haven't been active on a forum for at least 4 years now, so let's see if I keep up.

New guy here. Haven't owned many but I would like to think I have good taste. Been around knives all my life and got my first when I was 6. A nice Buck 110 knock off from Japan with a 440c blade that I got from my dad. Recently passed that on to my little brother. Had a mini grip, sold it, had one of those benchmade folding Bowie's with the extending edge guard. Next up was a SOG Kiku large folder, great knife but the micarta didn't do it for me and mainting the compound recurve grind was a pain. Currently toting a 0560BW with full titanium hardware from xxxadrenalinexxx and a carbon fiber scale from Suingab. Great piece, but looking for something a little more ........... me. Been trying g to learn as much as I can and get hands on time with anything I can. Please excuse the obligatory cell phone pics, digital camera is being borrowed.
P1niNZl.jpg
[/IMG]
rP7zhLb.jpg

zhRpUu3.jpg

P1niNZl.jpg

Hi to all, I'm a Chinese knife collector and reviewer.
Have been on the knife scene for a while now, but joined BF only today.
Hope to learn and contribute to the discussion on the forum.
Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey y'all new to bf. Have been lurking for a couple years now. Glad to be apart of a community that interests me!

Long time lurker. I have always appreciated the knowledge this forum has to offer. Nice to be a part of a like minded community!

Hi all, I am also new to this site. I came here to get some general info on a display I inherited

Back