We were all new here once

Another new guy here. I've been lurking for awhile. Been using knives at work consistently for 15+yrs. I've been working with metal and consider myself a decent fabricator, but recently started buying tools to start building some knives. Figured that would lead to many questions to ask, so I signed up. Thanks for all the helpfull info.

Bonjour,
Excusez mais je parle très mal anglais car je suis français.
Je suis un collectionneur de couteaux de l'armée suisse et j'ai aussi des couteaux Kerschaw, Buck, Ontario, Kizer Je trouve ce forum très intéressant

Hi all,
I am new to the forum. It is a pleasure to be here. I hope to learn and share my experiences.
Please don't flame me too badly if I type something silly.
Thanks.

Hi all,
I am new to the forum. It is a pleasure to be here. I hope to learn and share my experiences.
Please don't flame me too badly if I type something silly.
Thanks.
Welcome, nightcrawlers! I am also pretty much new to these forums... I hope people are understanding! :)

Greetings to all and Happy Holidays! First post to this great resource on such an eclectic hobby, or addiction as some would call it.

Been using a Kershaw Leek for many years until last year when I decided to look for something better suited to my daily tasks as a plumbing contractor. And that's when it all took a drastic turn.

I only have eight knives that I would say I actually use (a couple of China models I use for sharpening practice I don't count) so I can't say I have a collection. And since I do use them, would they ever be a collection?

Looking forward to taking in all the valuable information and all the different opinions you guys have to offer. Any reason is a good reason to buy a knife!

Hello all, another lurker here. Finally registered.
I have had knifes for decades but only recently been learning about quality knifes.
Lots of great information here, thank you all.
Look forward to learning more.

Lateck,

Happy 2018 to the forum! Newbie here, checking in!

My name is Douglas, and I live with my family in the Phoenix metro area. Growing up in Boy Scouts, I always had a couple knives on me. You know, the usual Swiss Army that had everything-but-what-you're-really-looking-for kind of knives. Later in the Marines, I had the Ka-Bar and also carried a Spyderco Police model that I traded a guy one of these overbuilt plastic digital watches for. I've never really owned anything since then, except a few years ago I purchased the Cold Steel Recon Tanto with the San Mai III blade, as kind of a zombie-apocalypse reserve piece. Like many, I was always impressed with Cold Steel's marketing years ago, and had to have one. Turns out, they don't make them with that blade steel anymore and it seems like perhaps they're a bit sought after. Anyway, I kinda got into knives again a few months back after a client showed me his collection of custom folders and flippers, and I was hooked!

I've picked up a few pieces lately, a full-custom Les Voorhies, Buddy Gaines flipper, a couple ZTs, and a cool Boker-Anso colloboration that is made in Italy by Fox Knives. Solid as a rock and a terrific value.

Sorry to be verbose, glad to be among you!

Cheers!
Douglas

Signed up here just over a decade ago and have read a bit over the years. My best friend going back a few decades is very active here and got me onto the forums back in 2006-2007, but he was/is the knife guy. He's gifted me my best knives (Ratmandu and a CJ Custom circa '09), which I love using.

Somehow, and just recently, I have discovered that I have unexpectedly become a knife enthusiast. Still can't sharpen for crap, though!

Signed up here just over a decade ago and have read a bit over the years. My best friend going back a few decades is very active here and got me onto the forums back in 2006-2007, but he was/is the knife guy. He's gifted me my best knives (Ratmandu and a CJ Custom circa '09), which I love using.

Somehow, and just recently, I have discovered that I have unexpectedly become a knife enthusiast. Still can't sharpen for crap, though!
Welcome to the group of knife enthusiasts (although, obviously, not to these forums)! I can't sharpen either...

Well said, being a noob I noticed most people are very helpful and willing to share their knowledge, but a few just seem to just hang around to make unhelpful, mean and sometimes plain insulting comments to questions or queries made buy people who just want to learn and share,.... Kris
Sure, you are right on this, sometimes we forget so quick that we are noob at a time.

Hello everyone, new here and wanted to introduce myself. I have read on the forum since I started knife making 4 years ago. I had kind of fell out of touch with knife making forums since I had been looking to transition out of my job as a paramedic and then planning a long-term road trip.

My wife and I quit our jobs last year and took off to tour the Country in the van for 4 months. We have since settled down with family before we decide to move somewhere else. During that time it was difficult for me to get a paramedic job so I have since transition to full-time knife-making. It has been more difficult than I thought it would have been but I have greatly enjoyed working with my hands every day and being able to sleep in my own bed every night. I strive to constantly improve and not just turn into another one of those "that guy" knife makers.

I look forward to learning from all of you and trying to contribute in any way that I can.

Joe

Hello everyone, new here and wanted to introduce myself. I have read on the forum since I started knife making 4 years ago. I had kind of fell out of touch with knife making forums since I had been looking to transition out of my job as a paramedic and then planning a long-term road trip.

My wife and I quit our jobs last year and took off to tour the Country in the van for 4 months. We have since settled down with family before we decide to move somewhere else. During that time it was difficult for me to get a paramedic job so I have since transition to full-time knife-making. It has been more difficult than I thought it would have been but I have greatly enjoyed working with my hands every day and being able to sleep in my own bed every night. I strive to constantly improve and not just turn into another one of those "that guy" knife makers.

I look forward to learning from all of you and trying to contribute in any way that I can.

Joe

Welcome to you and to all new members. It sounds like you have found a recipe for happiness in your knife making Joe. I hope it works out for you. But even if it doesn't work as a full-time business, I'm sure that it can be a rewarding, and potentially profitable hobby. :)

Glad to be onboard! Had been an EDC Kershaw guy for years, but started getting into bushcrafty stuff this summer I have quickly jumped in over the past 6 months with a Mora bushcraft, Jeff White trekker, Helle Gaupe, Bark River Gunny and just sent $ to a member for my first Fiddleback ( hiking buddy ). Great forum!

I didn't want to start a new thread, and this was the closest I could find to an appropriate thread.
I just joined, and wanted to say thank you to all of the great posters on this site. I have been working on setting up my only little forge, on a teacher's salary no less, and could not have done it without the generous time many of you have put into your detailed explanations.

I now have a small coal forge, and starter rail anvil (vertical mount) and am on knife number two! Having so much fun so far.
photo.php

Back