We were all new here once

Hi,
My name is Márton, i'm from Hungary. I'm a collector and a hobby knife maker. I'm glad to be here! & forgive my please my bad english...

Hello
My name is Ty and I'm a blacksmith from Iowa. I've been swinging a hammer since I was a wee youngster but started making knife-like things.....spike knives mostly, a few years ago. I still make some found-object knives but mostly focus on high carbon steel these days. So now I have to split my time between forging my wares and making knives. I'm here to learn more about knives and chew bubble gum.

Veszprém

Spend a lot of time at Balaton? Last time I was home, Kunsziget, we spend a week at the lake with my cousin. Until the fall of the communists my cousin was the head of the Hungarian police, for a long time we couldn't go back because of the politics. I go home when I can, the last time was 2006 I'm due for a trip back home.

Welcome to BF, there are quite a few Hungarians here and it's usually pretty obvious who they are, looking forward to seeing you around the forum. If there is anything I can help you with on the forum feel free to ask.

Szia tombor,

Tibor/ Ted

Hello there. I am from Poland. I'm collecting Victorinox and Wenger SAKs and also other pocketknives. Some of you can know me from my instagram, the same name as my nick. I'm here to learn more about pocketknives. Maybe I will write some reviews or "IMHO" posts.

My name is Bruce Mack. I just started with knives, attracted by their spare form and by their usefulness. I am learning to freehand sharpen. With suggestions from forum members, magnification, good lighting and repetition, I am getting good edges. I prefer less expensive knives as I feel free to use them without apprehension that I will screw up and maim them :)

OP is a great post and new guys to the forum like myself will certainly appreciate it. So far it does seem like everyone has a considerable amount of patience for a new user's unfamiliarity with knives/certain concepts, which is impressive in this day and age. This forum has opened my eyes to new kinds of knives, the possibility of making a knife one day, and the existence of dozens of premium steels available. I'm even learning about sharpening, which is something I've practiced for a good 25 years. This is quite a resource and the positive atmosphere makes it that much better.

I think this is a great place to post my first reply , as you see I am a "newbie" at age 50 can I still be considered that..LOL? It seems my love for smith & wesson revolvers has now spilled over into the world of fine knives. so far my collection is small with a Larry Rossi B&T knife and yesterday I ordered 3 blades from Dave Ferry (a Gordo , Ranchero and a bowie) and I look forward to their arrival. In the mean time I hope to find a good custom folder for EDC and hope the people here can help with that as far pros/cons go , as well as educating me on all aspects of the knife world. In the mean time thank you for being patient and understanding of the "new guy"

We were all new here once

Not necessarily so, I've been here as long as I can remember and before when it was just a bunch of knife knutz on a BBS and an email chat known as rec.knives.com, back when Charlie Mike was still in school and gettin' ready to head over to the Sandbox. So long that I remember many who have passed on and even more to fall prey to the BAN Hammer. I remember more members who woulda made a name for themselves better than the ones they were given if all they did was read more and learn the Dynamics of the particular forum they're settin' up camp in.

Best advice I can give a new member is to learn the room before tryin' to become everyone's best buddy. Be patient, the information is here, the people and personalities are here along with the superstars, the makers and the shakers. You can learn everything and anything about knives from collecting, making, repairing modding and selling and you can learn it from all the latest and greatest in the field. Just be polite, patient and remember you're not the only member here seeking the help of the other members here.

Welcome to all the new members, don't forget to read the stickies at the top of each section and be patient, this is like an Old Age Home for the Knife Community and some of us ain't as quick as we used to be for the things we should be and maybe a little quick to jump the gun on the things we had better control of as younger adults, (like our tempers and impressions of ourselves. ;) :) :D

All kiddin' aside, look here for help in navigatin' the forum or check in with Tech Support, there's always someone there willin' to tell you exactly where you need to go. ;)

I'm J from Phoenix, Arizona. Howdy.

Recently started making my own knife handles and kydex sheaths. Much to learn.

This is Minh from Texas. I was born and raised in Vietnam and my childhood upbringing was surrounded by knives, guns, motorcycles and german shepherd. Fast forward 30 plus years later and I love witnessing how much everything has improved. Better knife steels and designs. Newer gun models. Faster, better bikes. The schutzhund/sportdogs scene has gotten much better after generations of great breeding. It's a great time to be alive.

I raise my hand and declare my newb-ness.

I am here to learn and absorb as much as I can, I’m getting back into knives after a very long hiatus. I had lost my favorite knife about 28 years ago due to theft. It meant the world to me for I had owned it since childhood, an old Buck 301, not anything rare, but I loved that knife and used it all the time. After that I bought crappy knives that don’t mean anything, but the bug has bitten and I want to get something special and worthwhile for myself.

See you around.

Last edited:
Yep, rec.knives (Josh and all the antics :D )----> Knifeforums---> Bladeforums.....

-Michael

I was a different person back then, different obligations, different lifestyle and a more volatile income made life interestin' back then. I met a lot of people when I was travelin' for work. The internet was an infant and the format propagated endless threads that wandered all over the boards in regards to topic. Speakin' of off topic, I remember as long as you posted a pic of a knife or mentioned a knife in particular followed by "knife content" it was ok. There was some creative rule interpretations goin' on back then. ;):)

Hey all!! I'm new and thanks for allowing me on your forum. I have been researching some fixed knives lately and for my first one I would like it to be a durable one. I'm not really into spending a ton of money on it. That will most likely come later. I live in NJ and I believe the law states no more then 4 inches of blade is legal to possess and carry. Im just looking at some suggestions from you guys. I have a buck folder knife right now that's my everyday work beater. It does the trick but is small for camping and hiking. I have had my eyes on Esess and SOG pillar. Am I even in the right direction? I think I want 1095 steel but I'm still researching and learning . Any input would be awesome, thanks!!

Hey all!! I'm new and thanks for allowing me on your forum. I have been researching some fixed knives lately and for my first one I would like it to be a durable one. I'm not really into spending a ton of money on it. That will most likely come later. I live in NJ and I believe the law states no more then 4 inches of blade is legal to possess and carry. Im just looking at some suggestions from you guys. I have a buck folder knife right now that's my everyday work beater. It does the trick but is small for camping and hiking. I have had my eyes on Esess and SOG pillar. Am I even in the right direction? I think I want 1095 steel but I'm still researching and learning . Any input would be awesome, thanks!!
Welcome. If you start a new thread here in General Discussion and ask for recommendations with your specific criteria you will likely receive more responses.:)

Hi I’m Adam. New to forum. Been collecting mainly folders and some automatic openers for last few years. Looking forward to learning more from this forum!

Back