We were all new here once

New guy from Northern California. I was a Victorinox/R.H.Forschner factory sales rep for many years, I’ve been collecting fixed blade hunting and fighting knives for over 25 years and I’m now just getting into flippers, automatics and OTF’s. Happy to be here.

KR

Hi All,

I was still in the Philippines when ainfirst joined this forum back in 2004-2006(i forget now).
I am based in NZ now. I recently lost my long time EDC , a small folding stainless steel blade ,with g10 scales.
I thought I visit these forums again to see what’s now and what has changed since the time I left.

Well, my post didn't make it, I will go elsewhere to find out about these knives thanks the newbie, I will have to watch and learn this site before asking questions Lol

New member from MD here! U.S. Army veteran (1976-1982), longtime firearm enthusiast (IHMSA, IPSC) and currently travel around the USA for my job as a Software Consultant. Recently found an interest in knives, specifically tactical/hard-use folders. It's great to be a member of the community and I'm looking forward to learning more. Thanks!

Hi all,

I've always loved knives and I'm starting to get into them a bit more lately and searches kept leading me back here so I decided to join. My collection is small, but I plan on growing it. I'm a fan of Kershaw and Benchmade. I just ordered a Hogue Auto which I'm really excited about.

Anyway happy to be here.

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

Hi all, new member from PA. I'm in that stage where I'm trying to read and watch as much as I can so I can learn. But first...where do you get the self control to not buy more knives??

Hello everyone from south western ohio. Been browsing around the forums for a bit and finally decided to join. I'm excited to learn what I can from folks in the community.

Hello everyone, new to the forum. From Oregon. I am retired from metallurgical quality control & failure analysis field. I am currently transitioning from gun nut to knife nut. I have probably gotten 2 knives a month this year. 90% are Benchmade, my current favorite manufacturers. It doesn't hurt that i live 10 minutes from factory. It looks like there will be a lot of changes for them over the next year.
Looking forward to expanding my knife knowledge!! The forum has already been a good resource.

Ive been grazing these pages for some time now, a casual collector more recently into traditionals. I joined yesterday just to get into the fold a little better. I really enjoy knife-knut knerding and this forum is a gold mine. I dont always agree with some of the conservative sentiments ive come across, but I sure do love knives, and guns are generally ok by me as well. My collection focus has been more on users and iconic patterns. I like 1095 as im not great at sharpening and enjoy patina. So win win with the carbons. I like bushcraft too so my meager collection is as follows: KaBar usmc (half serrated), Condor Sequioa Primitive, BK&T eskabar, SAK (tinker?), SAK (camper?), Leatherman Wave, Case Trapper yella SS, Case Trapper amber bone CV, and now a Tidioute dixie stockman copperhead bone in the mail right now. The CV case is my current edc. Thats my general introduction so im a noob here too!

I have a question regarding leaf spring for knife making I’m not a total newbie I’ve made a few just never with leaf springs

Just dropping a note to say hello. New here. I’m from the uk and currently serving military.
Starting to get a decent collection of knives, my current favourite being my Toor vandal that my GF got me for my birthday. Thanks!

Newbie from CA that’s been into firearms for a long while, but I’ve ventured into camping and am looking for a good camping/bushcraft knife!

New member from Europe. Long time lurker, sharp objects lover. I am hoping that I can learn something new about knives. Also not a native english speaker, so it will be good exercise for my writing skills.

Back