We were all new here once

Welcome Tyler, I am a newbie with little experience, you can be sure to get expert help here..

aint that the truth. some people just dont know. it is not they are stupid they are just trying to learn.

Exactly! There is so much I don't know about knives and sheaths. Been making both for about 8 months. Get "WOWS" from lots of people. Damn that feels good! Gave to my grandsons and great grandson and son. Sold a few. Gonna make a bunch. Very rewarding skill. Retired but if the materials get paid for thats ok. Starting to ramble.

I lose out all round on my knife production as ALL sales money goes to my charity, I moan a bit at prices and expenditure in general but do not really mind as long as I can make them.

All my knives are serviceable, not always a pretty picture though but the 2 I am working on now show a improvement but sod all this polishing, is it really necessary, I know it looks good.

Hi everyone, just realized this thread can be used as an introduction for new members so i thought i'd better introduce myself.

I'm from Melbourne, Australia and have always had a small fetish for knives most of my life.
Around a year ago i have become very interested in forging my own knife for i don't think i will be truly happy until i make and create my very own.

I like tactical knives very much, also Tanto style blades...antique japanese style blades.

This forum helped me find a website selling knives which i have taken a great interest in, but of all the knives available there, it was only one that i really wanted but realized it will be unavailable to purchase.

So in the end like mentioned earlier in this post, until i forge my very own blade i don't think i will ever own a blade I'm truly happy with.

There is a blacksmith forge 20mins drive from where i currently live that does classes towards the end of the year so hopefully i can book myself in, for the classes run there are always booked out.

But for now i made myself a basic forge with clinker breaker and have a piece of railway track to cut up for an anvil, so looking forward to making myself some tongs, etc and then going on to forge a basic knife out of a spanner or a length of cable..something like that.

Anyway I've ranted on long enough, again hi to everyone and thanks for having me, great source of information here and for that I'm very grateful.

Hi Darciso

Another fellow Victorian here!!
If it helps at all I took the course at cut throat knives in Melbourne last year and whilst the focus is on stock removal kitchen knives I learned heaps!
Enough to go out and buy all the gear and start myself. But the guys down there were really great to learn from.

Hi Darciso

Another fellow Victorian here!!
If it helps at all I took the course at cut throat knives in Melbourne last year and whilst the focus is on stock removal kitchen knives I learned heaps!
Enough to go out and buy all the gear and start myself. But the guys down there were really great to learn from.

Hey hey nice to meet you!

Never heard of them until now. Nth Coburg is a long drive from here but good to know their there thank you!

I live out in the Yarra Ranges so very close to Wandin Blacksmithing Group..just a shame they only do courses around September.

But once i get going i would love to make some kitchen knives for i love cooking. :D

Very cool. I'm located up on the border of NSW so I get the driving thing. Let us know how the course goes I'd love to do a proper forging course! There aren't many good ones it seems around these parts and they all seem to be hella expensive

Very cool. I'm located up on the border of NSW so I get the driving thing. Let us know how the course goes I'd love to do a proper forging course! There aren't many good ones it seems around these parts and they all seem to be hella expensive

The 4 day course i hope to do is very cheap, under $300 held over 4 Saturdays.
Once i get the basics down then everything else will be from teaching myself, trial and error and lots of reading. :)

This is my first post. I’m hoping to gain more knowledge and look forward to picking members brains that have the experience in the field to educate me.

Hello and welcome Knifr75..

My name should be Slim Pickens as I know sod all. :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Since being here as a newbee novice I have had mega help and advice so now I can impart some back into the system, take notice of the experts first and you will be OK.

Good luck

Flagg.

I came across a book the other day called The Home Black Smith-Tools, Techniques and 40 Practical Projects.

It says that using an old piece of rail way track is a bad choice for an anvil, and a chunk of solid steel would be a better alternative.

I was shocked when i read that, for i was getting ready to cut and shape the piece of track i have here this weekend.

Just wanted to ask does anyone here use railway track for an anvil?

And if so does it suffice?

Thanks. :)

I have only seen a piece of railway track being used as a anvil on youtube, it has obvious limitations but for knife-making,, people seem to manage.
It is a cheap starter.

I have only seen a piece of railway track being used as a anvil on youtube, it has obvious limitations but for knife-making,, people seem to manage.
It is a cheap starter.

Thanks for the reply Flagg.

After searching for anvils...$1k for an anvil is a large investment.

Will buy an anvil soon but not just yet. :)

Hi everyone. My name is David, and I am humbled to be here. I cannot be compared to the amazingly talented craftsmanship and industry that I see all throughout the forum. I merely came along for the trip when years ago I failed to find a maker for "my perfect small EDC knife". I thought I knew that meant 4 mm thick stock full flat ground wharncliffe/reverse tanto. So I bought a Damascus blank from eBay that was close, and made my first knife out of it. I also ordered a larger blank because what if something went wrong...

But I profiled them, and made them. I was not happy with them, and the one managed to undergo all kinds of tranformations before it was "done". It was like all kinds of mistakes that the more I fixed them the worse they were and the design of the knife further from initial intention, rather than closer, in function, in feel, in aesthetics!! :eek: Needless to say, neither one ended up being what I had originally envisioned in an EDC knife.

But by then I was hooked to the hobby, and continued to sort of stumble through it at a pace that could have been smoothed out and shortened with a bit better patience and research, faster equipment, and a place to set up a "real" shop... But I learned some of those lessons, and now have a small work space, and some materials to work my way through in my rare time off work. At least my hands will be busy making something useful and enjoyable...

My third knife, from another eBay blank, was a good feeling to make up for the first two. I had made a knife I really like the look and feel of, though it was not a wharncliffe.

IMG_15488.jpg

I carried it for a while, but it didn't cut like my Manix 2 XL, the first folding knife I ever bought as an adult. I almost didn't get it over a Para 2, but I went with what was at that time the less expensive option, and I like the idea of having a bigger blade. But I have since made it into a "Paramanix", and I like it better like this after all, and the handle is more comfortable, too. I would EDC and use this in public without worrying too much about people freaking out.

IMG_4648.JPG
IMG_4647.JPG

Anyway, since that time, I have gotten a lot of practice. I made quite a few knives from eBay blanks, including many blanks also seen on USAKnifemaker, for example. 9Cr14Mov stuff, which has impressed me in use and testing. I have bought blanks and used them as is, and sometimes have modified them. I also designed blanks, and had some makers send them to me to be finished (or in some cases modified, and then finished). I used to try to sell them with varying degrees of success on local classifieds, and used pics like this one with bad lighting and backdrop. Is there a facepalm smiley?

Blue%20mat%20knives.jpg

The two on the left are blanks from Premium Knife Supply, the Ontario Skinner (heavily modified), and the Lone Survivor (choil added). The one in the middle and at bottom right are Damascus blanks from ebay. The one at the top is a Damascus blank I designed in paint (as a tanto with more pronounced choils) and had a batch of ten made and sent to me. I modified many of them to wharncliffes (that was the reason I designed them as tantos!, so I could have many warncliffes, but other options too). I still have the bottom left one, but the other four ended up all being bought by friends.

I still have quite the collection, and I have also begun to make my own blanks by stock removal. I have used carbon (80CRV2, 1084) and stainless (AEB-L) sent out for heat treat and before that I made knives from non heat treated sawmill blades. I am now learning how to heat treat with a coffee can forge from Chip Gore, and will be doing so with the 1084, and sawmill blade steel. These sawmill blades seem to take a great edge that holds moderately well, and resharpens quickly. Just don't pry with them or you will bend the tip. But I have made large machetes out of it and they destroy all the wood they come into contact with. They won't be batoned through a nail on the vise, though. I have begun learning heat treat, and have only scratched the surface for what I can bring out of the steel. I have treated some that pass the baton a nail on the vise test, and take a razor edge, but they have large carbides, and lose the razor's edge quickly. I think I heated the steel up too quickly.

And modding folders doesn't seem to stop either; today I finished up a Cold Steel "Mili-Talwar". All the cutting ability of the awesome Military blade profile, the speed of the pocket opener, the strength of the Triad lock, and the friendly POP! of blue G10, filed and sanded for freedom in grip options.

IMG_46400.jpg

I just make this stuff because I think it is cool and useful, and I hope to share it with others who feel the same way. And it is better to keep the hands busy than let them be idle. Thanks for having me.

David

INRI EENS 2.jpg

Last edited:
Well i walked into a beautiful coal fire forge for the first time yesterday to buy my very first bag of coke for my forge and a hammer.
The smell of burning coke and steel was actually very nice and it was great to see glowing metal and students being taught by the instructor there.

Sadly classes are very booked out and it will be some time until i am even able to put my name down...so as they say when you want something done you sometimes have to do it yourself..so looks like i will have to teach myself which I'm very much looking forward to. :)

I tried starting my forge today but had no luck. One fan i have is single speed and too loud and powerful which will burn through coke too fast, the other fan with variable speed is not powerful enough but is so nice and quiet.

So let the hunt begin for a fan with suitable power but also quiet.:)

My Last 2 Knives.

Th biggest one gave me a pain in the butt, I spent hours polishing it then burned the blade, attempted regrind and finished it like this, sheath poor as well.
This is still a learning exercise for me.
Today I ordered some 1650 degrees kiln bricks to replace my old battered /broke ones which were a lower temperature, coming this Monday.

This is a old reject file knife I rescued this week.

The learning curve is very interesting and more difficult for me as I am trying to do it all on a shoe string at the moment, recycled leather for example.

I am enjoying myself.

Will show photos in a minute,

Flagg

Back