We were all new here once

Having problems posting pics. Error message says the pic is too large. ............????????
If you have photo editing capability, then downsize the pic first. If not, you can downsize by emailing or texting the pic to yourself.
Best way is to use a photo hosting website. I use imgur, desktop version on either my phone or laptop. With editing tools I downsize pics to max of 1000w or 750h to fit page, then select and copy the bb code and paste that directly into the text of my message. You can also use the direct image link at imgur, open the image link in the BF tool bar (to the right of the smilie icon) pasting that into the dialog box that appears.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, i finally fired up my coal/coke forge after the 3rd attempt, was a challenge getting it lit until i was told to use coal for the initial burn then add my forge coke..well that really did the trick and so it was great to have it running at last.

I have a lot of spring steel laying around, but i started my first blade from a chrome vanadium ring spanner for i had a few which sitting in the shed which hadn't been used in a long time.

Was great fun banging on some steel for the first time, i have no anvil only some train track which i thought is better than nothing for now..but i must say forging the blade was a lot easier than sharpening it..i still can't get it sharp although it is very hard after a 2hr temper. I simply don't have the right equipment to get a good edge on it. I used a grinder and then used a sharpening stone which is used for tools, its a very cheap stone.

I had no shape in mind, what turned out was razor like shape,something you would shave with maybe, so when i eventually get it sharp i might turn it into a friction folder.

Anyway i really enjoyed my first taste of forging, but not being able to sharpen what i have created has been quite a let down..so i wont be attempting to forge anything else until i can get my first blade sharp for it may as well be a bread and butter knife. :p

All in all was still a great day.
Had to post some pics. :)
Apologies pics are back to front so scroll to the bottom and then back up :p

Last edited:
Greetings everybody. I guess I'll just jump in the river and learn to swim.
I'm a 45 year old Norwegian guy that just found this forum today, while googling some knife stuff.

Never considered myself a collector of knives, but I realize from reading this forum, that I might have a slight case of "collectorism", having a couple of drawers full. :D
I have never made a knife myself, but having grown up in the boy scouts and living close to nature in a relatively small Norwegian city,
I was early given my first really sharp knife (fixed blade) being only 6 years old. An axe and a saw followed shortly after.
This was before Norway was obsessed with everything being safe and before bicycle helmets was a thing where I live. ;)

Growing up we were always out in the woods and going fishing by the fjord or in the mountains, so knifes have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.
As a result of this I think my fascination for knifes have been rooted in the practical use of knifes and the tool always on my belt (and in my pocket).
I think that spending a lot of time out in nature during dark, cold and often wet conditions, have made me fascinated by tools that help in those surroundings.
For that reason I tend to love knives, flashlights and fishing gear. I love that no matter the technical advances humanity have made, a knife is more or less the same it's always been.
It's still a sharp edge to help you slice/cut stuff.

My "collection" of knives is not the result of selection by brand, or any mindfull process to build a collection, but rather whatever I liked at the moment.
I only have a few (5-6) of what I consider pricey knives in the 200 - 300 dollar range.
The other 30-40 knives are cheaper brands, and I of course have a lot of Moras living close to Sweden.
Growing up using the knives all the time and not seldom losing them, my knives have usually been rather inexpensive knives, although I must admit I have a few that I never use but only
take out to look at and feel in the hand. :oops:
I mostly have fixed blades, but the last few years have started to be intrigued by folders.

Sorry if I am rambling a bit. English is not my first language and I tend to write the words before I... ...form the sentences in my head. :D
Enough about me.

I am sure I am going to enjoy this forum immensely, reading other about peoples stories and sharing our love for knives.
Hopefully in the future I will be able to contribute with pictures and other stuff.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a forum to explore. :):thumbsup:

So I am new and not familiar with how this works I basicly made an account because I am at wits end trying to find a cold steel usmc nco saber. I just left the Marines now in law enforcement and have been looking and looking and this is my last hope. I am hoping someone here has one or can point me in the right direction. Thank you all so much.

Where can I post a picture of my knife project and ask questions about edge bevels?
Welcome Knifemakingiszen, if you go to the top of the screen and click on "Forums" under the Bladeforums logo you will see a complete forum directory. There is a "Gallery" forum for posting pics of finished knives, as well as a knifemakers forum where you should be able to get answers to your bevel questions.

And welcome to all new members.:)

Hello everybody, I am new to the forum.
I am 56, making knives for a long time and living in SEA.
I am glad to join the forum.
I have a question about the avatar pictures.
How to put in an avatar picture.
I click on the Picture frame and it says : I have no permission to do that.
what went wrong?
Thanks in advance

Hello everybody, I am new to the forum.
I am 56, making knives for a long time and living in SEA.
I am glad to join the forum.
I have a question about the avatar pictures.
How to put in an avatar picture.
I click on the Picture frame and it says : I have no permission to do that.
what went wrong?
Thanks in advance
Welcome, you need a membership for the avatar, signature, private messages, etc
https://www.bladeforums.com/pember/membership-new
Check this link for seeing the options

2A4406E3-59D7-44FD-A23F-CE41B823A0B4.jpeg EE29447A-7F36-4A4E-A202-FC7B8E18C930.jpeg Hi everyone, hope this is the place for an intro.
I’ve been a knife nut/collector for some time with various interests which have changed over time. At present I’m into retro/discontinued stuff mainly from when I started to get into blades. This is my latest, a used Pacific Cutlery Fer de Lance.

Last edited:
How do I create a post? I want to make a “rate my collection” post so people can rate my current collection and I can see others! If anyone can let me know just dm me or reply to this! Thank you!

It’s funny that this happens to be the first thread I’m posting on because though I am not new to knives I do love learning and listening to opinions about different makers either company or custom. I have noticed an undertone on this and other forums that almost seems at times to want to exclude new comers. In my honest though humble opinion this is always a bad idea. It is hard enough overcoming the ignorance of the anti-gun anti-knife anti-American jackmonkeys of the world so excluding our own seems a bit ignorant in itself. Call it what you want.... butt hurt, thin skinned, the point is it doesn’t do anyone justice and even proves to many that we are a bunch of egotistical jack asses who think we are some kind of special. Every single thing guys like us do or say is always under a microscope in today’s climate. Just my opinion

I'm sort of new here. Used to be on here several years ago but haven't been around in a long time. Had an old screen name but I can't remember it or the email I used. Got bit by the knife bug again so I'm back!

Hi,
I’m a new member and collect custom handmade knives, most of which are fixed blades, though I have a few folders also. Hope to get involved here.
Cheers,
Citizen

Hi,
I’m a new member and collect custom handmade knives, most of which are fixed blades, though I have a few folders also. Hope to get involved here.
Cheers,
Citizen
Welcome. I’m new (fairly)too. In Australia. Seems like a lot of good info here. Certainly lots to see and read.

Ok. I've nosed around and made a couple of posts. I carried a pocket knife from probably the age of 12 to about 22. Somehow, somewhere along the line, between college, and jobs in 'weapons-free zones,' I got out of the habit of carrying one. I decided that I missed it, so I dug out all of my old pocket knives and even looked into the new ones. After a quick look at my old knives, though, it would appear that I have a lot of sharpening to do.

Hi all, been lurking for years probably and finally decided to make an account so I can join in on the convos. Have a decent collection of ZT's and benchmades and slowly getting into Chinese knives such as WE and Kizer. Looking forward to talking knives!

Ok. I've nosed around and made a couple of posts. I carried a pocket knife from probably the age of 12 to about 22. Somehow, somewhere along the line, between college, and jobs in 'weapons-free zones,' I got out of the habit of carrying one. I decided that I missed it, so I dug out all of my old pocket knives and even looked into the new ones. After a quick look at my old knives, though, it would appear that I have a lot of sharpening to do.
Welcome and happy sharpening :)

Back