We were all new here once

This is the very first "forum" that I've ever joined. I'm finding there are a lot of unspoken peeves...in this forum at least; replying to "necro threads" seems to one that gets the population ruffled a bit. I'm not new to knives, but I am new to internet forums. So far, I think respect seems to be pretty universally advanced here on Bladeforums...this is a nice contrast to what I've experienced on Youtube.

With respect,
Lucas

I'm new here but I've been around the Internets a time or two...This isn't my first rodeo on message Boards. I love this site!

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

As a newbie I want to say thank you for being willing to teach someone about knives and a hobby that is so close to ur heart.

i am a newbie, how do i post a question with pictures of a particular knife i'm interested in finding out more about?

i am a newbie, how do i post a question with pictures of a particular knife i'm interested in finding out more about?

Upload an image that is saved to your computer to ImageShack, and copy the Forum URL. Then just paste the URL into the thread, and the picture will show. I think you have to be a paying member to ad pictures as attachments.

Good luck

Hi to all Bladeforum members. Newbie here from NJ and So glad I found this site. Going to start a little collection of my own soon and want to learn from the experts in the forum.

Hello all

New member from Long Island, NY.

I've been viewing/reading on the forums here for awhile.

I'm not new to knives by any means but finally decided to register a few days ago.

I have learned a lot from the forums over the years and continue to learn new things and find new knives that I love.

Everyone here has always been helpful and I can't even begin to say how much I love this community!!!

I am on a couple of professional forums where people are mostly very civilized. But even then, we can get to fighting pretty hard over work procedures, regulations, etc.

My brother was a tool and dye maker, the Model Maker [Prototype maker] where he worked. He even made some things for NASA. His brains were in his hands, he had NO People skills!!! BUT, if you met him, you would NOT guess he was a gifted hard working Craftsman... he was slow to talk, slow to move, looked like some big Retard [jussss sayin!]. Arrogance, haughtiness, acting like you are superior in any field or area [KSA] just indicates, hey, you might do this or know that, but there is often a tradeoff, you suck somewhere else. A balanced skill set, patience, and the ability to analyze, ask the right "Whys", and do continuous process improvement in ALL areas of design, construction, communication, and mentoring, really does pay off in the long run. This is my first post, I have been reading Blade Forum as a non-member for months. My biggest GRIPE against the Seniors here, thus far, is when you do a Video! YIKES, Write a Script, 5 minutes of fruitless rambling about non-essentials before you do a blade test, just d@mn! DIG that blade in, ramble AFTERWARDS!!! Ready, set, Action!!!

Well, THIS NOOB just spent 2 hours finding a SOG Tigershark after reading a thread from this forum...and bought one, plus the SOG PowerLock...and then had to reset my password here.
Money and Time well spent!!!

This pic did me in:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/638244-A-Tigershark-Elite-In-The-Woods
TigersharkandTool-1.jpg

I might be back with some pix and questions about a couple of things I have.
Thanks for the expensive night!

Loved knives my whole life, I got my first one as a cub scout. Long time lurker of this forum, So I decided to sign up. Where do I add/edit a sig? thanks.

Loved knives my whole life, I got my first one as a cub scout. Long time lurker of this forum, So I decided to sign up. Where do I add/edit a sig? thanks.
If you're asking about adding a sig line, I'm pretty sure you have to be a paid member to do that.

Hello, My name is John Lewis Jensen, and I'm a knife maker, and I'm new here to blade forums, but not a newbie... :)

Anyways, some of you know me, some don't. I've been making high end Art Knives since 1994. A lot of people don't actually like my stuff, as I don't make stuff that is all that usable, but I still build them like tanks and to all proper knife making specs. It's OK if you don't like what I do, but hopefully you'll see that I have a lot to offer to the community.

Thanks for having me, and thanks for looking!

Below is an example of what I do...

More here: http://www.jensenknives.com
and here: https://www.facebook.com/JensenKnives

http://www.jensenknives.com/images/knives/Desk-Daggerssmall.jpg

I jump in and out here. Come back here when I make a new purchase. Just wanna brag or talk about my new knife. Very glad this is here for everyone. For me it is worth every dollar I donated. I enourage others to do the same. This forum is a goldmine of education, admiration and just plain fun place to talk about steel regardless of your knowledge level. Oh, and welcome, ATX:) Born and Bred Ft.Worth to Dallas native here.

Last edited:
New here wanted to say hi, didnt want to start a new 'hi im new' thread. Not new to forums, newish to this one. Have seen knives for sale i wanted but didnt jump fast enough to buy, figuring an account is a step in the right, or if your my wallet, wrong, direction.

I'm one of those... this is my first post. Greetings blade forgers and lovers of steel. I am Kenn Blanchard, aka the blackmanwithagun, long time proponent of freedom, firearms and faith. I have a successful podcast called the Urban Shooter and want to include a segment on knives. Always like them, don't know squat. While I am learning from this forum I will be looking for someone who can be my guest on the show occasionally and educate me on stuff. I think my audience would love the information. urbanshooterpodcast.com thanks.

After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Just my thoughts.

This shouldn't apply to only new guys. How would anyone want to be treated here? In the end, there is no need for insults and criticism no matter how long they've been here.
Lets all Keep this in mind.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Back