We were all new here once

This is a numbered (series of 50 knives only) custom knife, created by an association of hobbyist blacksmiths based in a village in the southwest of France. Blade is 12C27 57HRC. I chose olive scales but you could have what you wanted.

Last edited:
I've lurked long enough and finally decided to register. Thanks for all the good information and the candid discussions. I'm looking forward to checking in more often.

I’m new here, but not to knives. Seems like I’ve always had a knife in my pocket.
Made a few knives as well, but I’m not a knife maker.
Just retired as a farrier for 43 years.
Lots of interesting info here; I’m mostly intrigued by the different steels, mostly because I never knew what kind of steel was in the knives I made.
Tried to post a picture from my computer of a Damascus machete I made out of saw blades, but can’t figure it out.
All the photos you guys post from photobucket are blurry, I must be doing so wrong, and could never figure out photobucket anyway.
In any event I’m having fun.

Hello. I too have lurked around for a while and finally made an account. Great info here and thanks for all the knowledge shared.

Thanks for the post. That is why I am here. I want to learn more about this hobby and gain some knowledge from you experts. I appreciate all the information everyone shares with us newbs.

Big Welcome to all the recent new members. Hope you enjoy your time here. I have learnt a lot in my short membership time. Wealth of info to discover.:)

I’m new here, but not to knives. Seems like I’ve always had a knife in my pocket.
Made a few knives as well, but I’m not a knife maker.
Just retired as a farrier for 43 years.
Lots of interesting info here; I’m mostly intrigued by the different steels, mostly because I never knew what kind of steel was in the knives I made.
Tried to post a picture from my computer of a Damascus machete I made out of saw blades, but can’t figure it out.
All the photos you guys post from photobucket are blurry, I must be doing so wrong, and could never figure out photobucket anyway.
In any event I’m having fun.

Hi Hopalong, and welcome. In regards to the blurry Photobucket pics, Photobucket used to be a free photo hosting site, but not anymore. Unless a person purchases a paid membership, the photos they posted on Photobucket will now be blurry.

That machete sounds interesting. If you ever get the photo posting thing figured out I'd love to see it. There's a subforum for people to post the knives they make.

And welcome to all new members :).

Hello I'm Mike. I currently live in Las Vegas and am new to the forum. I've acquired a few knives and became an accidental collector. My most prized piece thus far is my ZT 0920.

Hello I'm Mike. I currently live in Las Vegas and am new to the forum. I've acquired a few knives and became an accidental collector. My most prized piece thus far is my ZT 0920.
Hi Mike, Welcome to the forums. :)

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

Thanks. I'm brand new. I know..." a man w/o a knife is a man w/o a life"....quote from a magazine I read several months ago. Outdoor life I think. To my surprise another article in the same mag/issue had a photo of MY KNIFE. And who knew there was a mini ka-bar ( is that dash right/required ? ) twin too. Wow. Is it coincidence or due those German Slolingers[sic] look just like my Kabar too? I like the end shape and style. The color combo in the handle inlay (?). Black .Red . Well used and abused. 2nd post.

Yes we were all new here once and yea we all don't have 5,000+ posts under our belt, yea we've all asked stupid questions, the difference is that not all of us with only 10 post argue with people who've been in the industry/community for 10 or more years.

When your new to the community sometimes it's better to listen to what the elders have to say and not argue to show how much we think we know.

We could all learn from other people, like my Old Man used to say "...ya can always learn somethin' from everyone, even if it's not how to be an idiot..."

Sometimes a little research goes a long way in aidin' to ask an intelligent question.

The only thing that drives me crazy is when a new member asks a question that's been asked a million times before and when someone suggests usin' the search function they get all dumb like they don't know how, yet those same people can post with video attachments, links to spam sites and tons of pics yet still maintain that they don't know how to do a search.

Last gripe is when a new member responds to a post without readin' the OP or the bulk of the replies, I get some 20 page posts don't need to be read in their entirety but at least get the gist of the OP before replyin'.

As a last note, I like many of the old timers here welcome the new blood and the subsequent curiosity they bring with them, sometimes we get a little irritated when someone asks for advice and then proceed to argue with 99% of the concensus.

Noobies, newbies, what ever ya wanna call 'em will always be welcome here just respect the other peoples opinions here.

This is strange, but I was a member 20 years ago when Spark was still helping Mike out before Mike went off to do 1sks. My email has changed since then so I can no longer access my previous registration, so I guess I'm "new" but also one of the "oldest" forum members around too. I've been out of the scene for the past 15 years and only started to get back in recently - you know, life happens. Feels weird to be back though since I was just a teenager at the time using my mom's credit card to buy knives. Back then it was deciding between the EDI Genesis and the AFCK, and I chose wrongly... (if any of you can even remember)

New poster from Sonoma County area in California. Been carrying my Benchmade 710 for 6 years and wanted to change my EDC. Came here to read some chatter over your shoulders and decided to stay. Nice community you have here.

I’M a bit scared that participation will fuel consumption... As you can see from my feedback, I’m already spending. My wife will never forgive you folks.

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.
I am sorry, but I am having trouble understanding how to post photos. Please help me. Thx

Back