We were all new here once

Hello! Been lurking here for a number of years. My knife journey started in 2000, with the purchase of a Chris Reeve Sebenza. And that knife is still going strong after these twenty years. I've been collecting off and on now ever since. My current count is now fixed at a hundred knives, so I would have to sell one in order to get another one. Looking forward to the discussions!:)

Like most older guys I'm getting forgetful. I saw this forum, it seemed like what I was looking for, so I pulled up the page to register. I found that "The Tourist" was already in use. As they say in football, "Upon further review" I found this interloper with my handle was me!
Oy, vey, I hope I can sharpen a knife like in the olden days...

The Tourist was banned, was he not? o_O

If I was I served my time. Then again, I'm rather new here, is there more than one "Tourist"?

Well, The Tourist claimed "I've been a professional sharpener in the Madison, Wisconsin area for almost two decades."

Sounds like you.

I'm sure the mods will decide if you have served your time.

How about a word search? (sorry I couldn't resist)

Good evening all, I've been lurking and reading on the forums for a couple years now. I've been interested in knives since childhood but really started down the rabbit hole about a year and a half ago. Will probably do more lurking then posting but I thought it was about time I signed up for a membership to support this forum. Have a good day all

Hi, new here. I'm from South Africa and had a interest in knives from a young age. I have been lurking here for a couple of years and finally decided to join. I have gained valuable insight and info through the forums and it's the first site I visit every morning before work starts :) Have a great day all!

Oh sorry...guess I'm the newest fng!
Always preferred edged weapons since birth...though a nice sniper rifle will catch my eye occasionally! lol

So I'm new to the world of knives and such. I've been trying to find a good knife sharpening set but, well yea kind of at a loss here. Can anyone point me in the right direction on a good starter set?

It depends on what you mean "knife sharpening". Believe it or not this is a somewhat subjective term. How hard do you use your knives? Do they get completely blunt and need to be reprofiled back to an apex? And what type of steel is your collection comprised of? Very hard high alloy steels will require a different set of abrasives than basic simple steels at a lower hardness. How pretty do you want your edges to be? How much time can you spend sharpening? Do you want to relax for an hour long sharpening session, or do you want to sharpen all twelve of your hunting buddies' knives in the space of a few short hours?

For quick maintenance of dull, but apexed edges in most steels, the Spyderco Sharpmaker is fantastic. If you use it often, be prepared to wash the stones with soap and water fairly frequently to keep them cutting optimally.

For maintenance of apexed edges, and convex reprofiling of dull knives, the WorkSharp and Blade Grinding Attachment has worked fairly well for me.

If you intend to dramatically change the edge profiles on a lot of knives, get a belt grinder. You can very quickly set bevels $200-$300 with a 2 x 42 grinder and some 120 and 220 grit ceramic belts. Of course you'll have to pay attention not to overheat the steel by pressing too hard or moving it too slowly across the belt. And once you set your bevels, you can clean them up on stones, or on the WorkSharp.

These are just some ideas, and the answers to the question will vary as much as the number of people who offer them.

I typically grind a knife fairly thin behind the edge using my Dayton 2 x 42 for good cutting geometry, then give it a 15° per side edge on diamond plates (320, 600, 1000 grit, usually) attached to my Spyderco rods on the SharpMaker, then micro to 20° on the SharpMaker rods themselves.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say I'm Pete and what's up peeps. I'm new here, came over from katana land, just purchased a bk10, and now I'm kiiiiiiinda hooked. Going for the basic canvas and resin handles, mircata? Told you I'm new .. and dyeing and linseed oiling them up for my next move.. after that it's Benchmade, Spyderco, maybe the ferrit Tops..idk.. so many knives! Anywho, I'm just a 41 year old dude that works alot ,takes care of my daughter, and now am obsessed with all of this new stuff to me. I just wanted to say hi, and I look forward to talking and learning from all of you out here. Have a great rest of your week everybody

Totally blade noob here. I've lurked the forum here and there when looking at different model knives. I finally signed up to learn more mainly on different blade materials. Looking forward to learn learn learn!

I currently own a CRKT M21-12G, Boker Mini Kalashnikov S30V & and my first custom blade recently purchased a couple months ago a DGBladeCo Speakeasy.

I sometimes think of this as the "one post wonder" thread. Not everyone, but many people do it. I wonder if they realize they are about to, or if they post on other forums and do the same thing. Ooh, and those threads where someone posts a mod idea they have, or asks for advice on knife maintenance or tinkering, and then says "thanks for the great advice everyone, I'll post pics of my results!", and then I find the thread years after it was started, and see that they never posted again. :(

Oh, and hi naaack, welcome to Bladeforums. :D

New member here. Just wanted to get my first post out of the way. I am a veteran tho in several other forums, among them guns and watches. So I appreciate all the imaginative design and craftsmanship that goes into making finely tuned instruments, whatever they may be. Right now I'm just starting out with the more well known production knives but may graduate to mid tech and some customs.

Back