We were all new here once

Hi there, my name is Phill and hail from South East Queensland, Australia. I thought here may be a good as place as any for a brief introduction. I grew up on a large farm heavily exposed to motorcycles, firearms and hunting (culling is probably more accurate). I recall as a kid being given a small swiss army knife thinking I was the bee's knees. About three years back I stumbled upon a site with ZT's and consequently ended up with two 0450's in a short period of time. I courted the SPIDERCO for quite a time and about four months ago took the plunge and ended up with a PM2 with a DLC blade and am enjoying it along with the 0450's immensely. Inadvertently I beleive my son may also now be on a similar trajectory having received a LEATHERMAN LEAP as a Christmas present with he loves.
Anyway... enough and thanks for having me.
Sincere Regards
Phill

Welcome aboard, I think it is cool to meet some new folks here. I am just curious and if you do not mind, if you have been to Sydney, can you recommend some things to do or see besides the Opera house? I know someone who may have a day or two there before taking another trip. I heard and see that the Blue Mountains not far from Sydney would be cool to visit. To keep it on knives too, what are some typical knives that the general public can pick up? Swiss Army (you mentioned already) knives, Mora, or Svord? How hard is to to find Australian makers? Better yet, any knife stores? Sorry to bother you but I wanted to ask and welcome you too.

Last edited:
Hi all!

New to the forum. 1st post ever! Heard this is THE place for everything knifes. I appreciate those comments from those who are open to educate us newbies in a positive light.

I do have a few newbie questions I'm hoping someone might be able to answer. I've done my best to research as possible on all the questions I am asking. I'm from Canada if that matters.

I purchased the Amare A-Max Stonewash and the Tops ICED-02 Dagger. My main purpose is for self-defence with future purchases for EDC knives.

How often should I sharpen my knife? Both knifes will be used only in emergencies. I plan to buy the Fallkniven CC4 as I hear it's better than the DC4 since the DC4 is not made as well as it used to be. I plan to also use Sentry Solutions TUF-Glide on my knifes.

Next question is storage. I understand storing knifes in Kydex sheaths should be avoided for long term storage. My plan is to carry them in the Kydex and every night put them in a safe removing them from the sheath. Is it ok for knives to be stored in a safe without a sheath? Will the material form the safe lead to rust or will Silica packs help with this? I plan to purchase some Silica packs soon and place them in the safe. I will eventually purchase a Pelican case but for now my budget only allows a cheap safe.

Also if outside and it suddenly rains I hear moisture is not good for knives. Should I carry a travel bag for incidents where mother nature is impossible to predict the weather? Any good travel sized bags? I do not plan on going into the wilderness, just a bag that is small for every day use, I think the longest sized knife is 7 and a half inches long.

For those wondering, yes I have checked the laws within Canada but ever since Covid-19 I know this might sound crazy but my concern is self-defence. Without disclosing my actual address, I live beside not one but TWO homeless shelters and a tent city that is growing every day and the police cannot be everywhere at once. I was attacked last summer by a homeless person on drugs. Luckily a police car drove by and I hailed it down and the person was arrested but the police cannot be everywhere all the time.

I realize knives should be used as a last resort and I carry a personal alarm keychain that is very loud with a goal to scare off an attacker. Every situation is different of course. I'm also considering making homemade pepper spray since Canada it's against the law but I'd much rather deal with a charge of incidents related to pepper spray that leaves little to no negative long term health effects than go to the courts for self defence with a knife.

Anyway, I appreciate any feedback anyone is willing to offer.

Hi all!

New to the forum. 1st post ever! Heard this is THE place for everything knifes. I appreciate those comments from those who are open to educate us newbies in a positive light.

I do have a few newbie questions I'm hoping someone might be able to answer. I've done my best to research as possible on all the questions I am asking. I'm from Canada if that matters.

I purchased the Amare A-Max Stonewash and the Tops ICED-02 Dagger. My main purpose is for self-defence with future purchases for EDC knives.

How often should I sharpen my knife? Both knifes will be used only in emergencies. I plan to buy the Fallkniven CC4 as I hear it's better than the DC4 since the DC4 is not made as well as it used to be. I plan to also use Sentry Solutions TUF-Glide on my knifes.

Next question is storage. I understand storing knifes in Kydex sheaths should be avoided for long term storage. My plan is to carry them in the Kydex and every night put them in a safe removing them from the sheath. Is it ok for knives to be stored in a safe without a sheath? Will the material form the safe lead to rust or will Silica packs help with this? I plan to purchase some Silica packs soon and place them in the safe. I will eventually purchase a Pelican case but for now my budget only allows a cheap safe.

Also if outside and it suddenly rains I hear moisture is not good for knives. Should I carry a travel bag for incidents where mother nature is impossible to predict the weather? Any good travel sized bags? I do not plan on going into the wilderness, just a bag that is small for every day use, I think the longest sized knife is 7 and a half inches long.

For those wondering, yes I have checked the laws within Canada but ever since Covid-19 I know this might sound crazy but my concern is self-defence. Without disclosing my actual address, I live beside not one but TWO homeless shelters and a tent city that is growing every day and the police cannot be everywhere at once. I was attacked last summer by a homeless person on drugs. Luckily a police car drove by and I hailed it down and the person was arrested but the police cannot be everywhere all the time.

I realize knives should be used as a last resort and I carry a personal alarm keychain that is very loud with a goal to scare off an attacker. Every situation is different of course. I'm also considering making homemade pepper spray since Canada it's against the law but I'd much rather deal with a charge of incidents related to pepper spray that leaves little to no negative long term health effects than go to the courts for self defence with a knife.

Welcome to the forum.

I store all my fixed blades in their kydex sheaths with no moisture problems.
Now I do have a few that have leather sheaths and I keep an eye on them and make sure the blades have some sort of protection, tuff glide is good.

If your knives are not being used much and they are carbon steel it does not hurt to strop them once in a while.

I sure you know situational awareness and avoidance are your best options but a little poke will usually get someone off you with a quickness.

Hello all, new man here. Might need some help in the future posting pictures or whatnot. Is there an intro section? I looked, but did not see one.

Super excited to be apart of this forum!

Hi everyone! New member here. My knife interest was sparked at a young age. My grandfather had a small piece of land and he gave me a pocketknife (SAK) to play around with when I was about 6 or 7 year old.

I was much older when I bought myself a second knife, a Kershaw Cryo 2 for work, which I recently upgrade to a Benchmade Mini Grip.

I don't know where this fascination of these tools exactly comes from but I do know that I love knives. And since recently I've been collecting them as well. That's what made me sign up for the forums, to look for info and be more involved in the community.

Greetings to all new members.
Welcome to ‘The Place/Forum’ for everything about knives, the World’s greatest treasure of knives‘ & members’ knowledge all put together.
Aryan

Hi there, my name is Phill and hail from South East Queensland, Australia. I thought here may be a good as place as any for a brief introduction. I grew up on a large farm heavily exposed to motorcycles, firearms and hunting (culling is probably more accurate). I recall as a kid being given a small swiss army knife thinking I was the bee's knees. About three years back I stumbled upon a site with ZT's and consequently ended up with two 0450's in a short period of time. I courted the SPIDERCO for quite a time and about four months ago took the plunge and ended up with a PM2 with a DLC blade and am enjoying it along with the 0450's immensely. Inadvertently I beleive my son may also now be on a similar trajectory having received a LEATHERMAN LEAP as a Christmas present with he loves.
Anyway... enough and thanks for having me.
Sincere Regards
Phill

I'm new here as well. I feel you.

Cheers everyone I am new here as well and I hail from Claremont California

Hello All, Charles here from Alpharetta GA. Here to be continue the inspiration and appreciation of things with an edge.

Hello everyone. I’m new to knives and I’ve been lurking here for a few months, learning. I’ve managed to collect several nice knives and will be posting when I have something constructive to say or show.

Hello. Michael here. I am developing a love of blades and really enjoy sharpening. Always on the lookout for knives at flea markets or yard sales that I can clean up. Really like this forum and will be coming here quite a bit.

Greetings and salutations bladebros (and bladegals). I'm Eric and I'm a baldeaholic.
Actually, I enjoy kitchen knives a great deal; that's my main area of interest. I'm looking forward to some discussion of mostly kitchen knives, especially my new interest: repairing/restoring older kitchen knives.

I am new here and from Placerville, Ca. I am a woodworker with my own business. I work mainly with Manzanita but have worked with many types of wood. I want to get into building knives with some of the unique burls I come across. I have burl wood that is so rare that I can't even find it online. Is the market there?

Hi,

Been lurking for years, finally decided to join.
Always loved knives.
The amount of knowledge on this forum is amazing.

Hockey fan... gohabsgo!
Also like to collect gokins, 1/6 figures and jerseys.

Thanks,
Votommy

Hi from Spain!!!sorry for my low nivel english!!I love this knives made in USA,my principal knives is Spyderco,Crk,Protech, ZT and swiss Victorinox,goodby guys!!

Hello guys, also new. I have always loved knives and it is great to be part of this forum!

Hi all,

Newbie from the Netherlands here. Just looking at all the cool knives and for a new backup knife for my main edc carry, which is a Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556. Thinking between a spyderco para 3 or delica 4.

I am also new here

Hi all!

Hello all, new man here. Might need some help in the future posting pictures or whatnot. Is there an intro section? I looked, but did not see one.

Hi everyone! New member here. My knife interest was sparked at a young age. My grandfather had a small piece of land and he gave me a pocketknife (SAK) to play around with when I was about 6 or 7 year old.

I was much older when I bought myself a second knife, a Kershaw Cryo 2 for work, which I recently upgrade to a Benchmade Mini Grip.

I don't know where this fascination of these tools exactly comes from but I do know that I love knives. And since recently I've been collecting them as well. That's what made me sign up for the forums, to look for info and be more involved in the community.

Hey everyone. Just signed up and I’m hoping to learn more about knives. Currently looking at picking up a survival knife of some sort.

I came to this forum just to read the information, but decided to stay. There is a lot of useful information here.

Newbie here. There is more information on knives here than I ever cared to know, but greatly appreciate it.

https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/tech-support-general-q-a-site-feedback-more.679/
This will get you started. Just remember that with a free membership you have to use another photo hosting site to first post your pictures (imgur.com is free, but I believe you have to sign up there first), a lot of members here use Imgur to host their photos. Later if you decide you want to upgrade your membership to a paying one, a Gold Membership is just $30/year and it also lets you sell here, ask values of your knives, have private messaging privileges (PM’s), and directly upload your pictures to this site, no hosting site required, and more, memberships are here https://www.bladeforums.com/pember/membership-new
Welcome again to BF (BladeForums).

New here. I look forward to learning and hopefully making a contribution.
Thanks for having me.

Hi All,

The knifemaking bug bit me a couple years ago - I'm just getting started. Can't wait to get in here and properly put my feet inside my mouth.

Cheers

Welcome to BF guys, for sure you’ve come to the right place to just hang out, look at pics, gain knowledge, contribute, and make a bunch of new friends in the process. Jump right in whenever you feel ready. It can get very addictive and expensive too, so hang on tight.

Again, welcome to BladeForums.

New member here. Got a warning instead of a welcome.
New member with interest in Buck and Cold Steel knives. I asked of the value of one of my knives.
I was warned that is not permissible unless I pay in.
I correspond on about 6 other forums and have asked such questions. If I felt like selling I would offer my thing on such forum to enthusiasts rather than eBay.
This forum has sponsors. Does it need my money?
Not showing comradeship here. Also on most of other forums you could post a picture directly from a cell phone. Why do I have to use a posting sight here?

Newb here.....

Been around knives for a while, but not collecting.....have a couple of Swiss Army and a few Kershaws my son accumulated while working at at a sporting goods store.

Been carrying some form of blade since my pup arrived, as out here in Western Canada we do get critters - coyote, deer, cougar and beer....plus always good to have a blade when out hiking with the dog.

my girl is called Kilo, and she’s almost 5yrs old....she is an Akita, and hopefully I’ve attached a pic below!......or not, as I can’t seem to figure that one out!

i am not new to collecting, as I am a watch guy, with many brands in my watch box, notably plenty of Gshocks for dog walking!

watches kind of led me to knives, as I see much cross over in the design and intricacies of knives....

I have a Benchmade incoming, as I dip my toes into the knife world, and look forward to learning much as I go......

Newb here.....

Been around knives for a while, but not collecting.....have a couple of Swiss Army and a few Kershaws my son accumulated while working at at a sporting goods store.

Been carrying some form of blade since my pup arrived, as out here in Western Canada we do get critters - coyote, deer, cougar and beer....plus always good to have a blade when out hiking with the dog.

my girl is called Kilo, and she’s almost 5yrs old....she is an Akita, and hopefully I’ve attached a pic below!......or not, as I can’t seem to figure that one out!

i am not new to collecting, as I am a watch guy, with many brands in my watch box, notably plenty of Gshocks for dog walking!

watches kind of led me to knives, as I see much cross over in the design and intricacies of knives....

I have a Benchmade incoming, as I dip my toes into the knife world, and look forward to learning much as I go......

Ha, there we go....Gold Member....worth it to post pics, etc....

so here is my girl, with knife pics to come later this week

View attachment 1415759

Welcome to BF. Yes, Gold does have its privileges, you did good. Beautiful dog, that’s a great picture.

What’s up everyone! Been in the restaurant industry my whole life. Unemployed due to covid still researching Japanese carbon chefs knives and YouTube auto played a pocket knife video. Think it was some Blade HQ vid. I was interested immediately. These were not the knives I had when I was a kid.

So for the past few weeks I’ve been falling down this wormhole from automatic knives to EDC gear. Got a nice Gyuto and it’s time to get folding knife. Just don’t know which one to with no matter how much I read.

thinking Kalishnikav and another entry level like a Rat 2 or something. That or just go all in with a
a mini Bughout. Help me.

Back