We were all new here once

Exciting news Mister! But you can't steal what's given for free! ;)

Welcome to the forum, and you can be sure there will be some folks looking forward to your shop pics.

I thought I'd check in from my one and only post months ago. I've been able to obtain different types of steel and REX 45 seems to be one of my favorites just because battle stains seem to appear (patina). I've also obtained a spydiechef which I love! Before i really didnt know what a knife cost and what made them cost so much. Buying AUS8 & 8CR's before. I now see a super difference.

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

This is my first time in the forum, and this was the first post I read. I would like some information on a knife of my grandfathers. Would this be the correct place to ask? And if so, could you possibly help me find where to post? Thanks.

This is my first time in the forum, and this was the first post I read. I would like some information on a knife of my grandfathers. Would this be the correct place to ask? And if so, could you possibly help me find where to post? Thanks.

Hello Peyton, welcome to Bladeforums.

If you are looking to identify your grandfathers knife, or possibly learn other information about it, there are a few places you can post your questions- either here in the "General Knife Discussion" subforum, or in the "Bernard Levine's Knife Collecting & Identification" Subforum. You can find Bernard Levine's subforum by clicking on the "Forums" button at the top left corner of every page screen under the Bladeforums logo (between the "Catagories" and "Media" buttons). That will take you to the forum directory where you will see all of the various Bladeforums subforums. Bernard's subforum is in the first group of subforums.

Sometimes the members here can identify a knife from just a description, but photos always help. To post photos you would have to use a photo hosting site.

And just a heads up, you would need to have a paid membership to ask how much a knife is worth. "Basic" members like yourself (non-paying) are not permitted to ask for value.

Good luck finding what you're looking for. And don't worry, the members here are happy to help if they can. The issues that prompted me to start this thread 8 years ago have gotten a lot better since then.

Is this the place where I introduce myself?

Hi. I like sharp things. lol

I've been reading info around here off and on for maybe 4 years, I want to say when I bought my CS Trailhawk for maintaining the local archery range. Lots of great info, lots of great pics! I've probably owned 100s of knives over the decades. I used to take monthly visits to Buck through my teens, before they moved. Currently I only own 2 knives outside the kitchen as I've given them all away. Till tomorrow? I've got a JK E01 in the mail I picked up from a user here and a Kephart on order with JK...

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I just realized I posted without even introducing myself...
What can I say, I've basically loved knives forever, but I started really growing interest in higher quality ones ($100 and above) about a year ago. I like knives because they're pretty and fun to play with, I mostly use them for cutting cardboard and food prep (and a bit of camping now and then), but I still don't like when they stay too long in the drawer. I've often heard about this forum, and it felt like a good place to share this passion with likeminded people, so here I am! The knives I currently own are a 940-2, a para 3, a Massdrop+Gavko Thresher, and a lionSTEEL ROK damascus (my latest one), but these days there are a bunch of nice ones on Drop, way too many ones, and black Friday is coming... So I might have a few more soon :D

Hi to all, Just signed up after being a long time browser. I've enjoyed knives pretty much since I was a little kid. (Thanks to a very tolerant Mom who actually let me and my two older Brothers play with knives). Ive got more knives than I can even find around here, SAK's, Leatherman, Bucks, Shrades, Moras, Cases, Kershaw...on and on. Recently I made a nice trade...an HDS Executive flashlight with a special glow reflector for a Chris Reeve Small Inkosi Drop Point with a Millit Timascus clip (Bling). It is was my first foray into anything approaching high-end stuff and man am I impressed! Since I fell so hard for that CRK and didn't have all that many $$ into that HDS (my guilt-free justification), I picked up a Large Inkosi Insingo as well. Anyways, I look forward to learning some great things here and especially want to get into proper sharpening techniques/equipment. I also feel that my wallet is getting nervous...;)

I am new to this forum, but a long time knife owner. I currently carry usually a folder and small fixed blade plus a Leatherman Wave+

My current carry rotation is
Hogue RSK-MK1-G2 full-size
Hogue RSK-MK1-G2 mini
White River Knives Backpacker Pro
Benchmade 698 Foray
Kubey Blades KB237

Hi I'm new to the forum and knife collecting!

I started whittling a couple of months ago, and with that I entered into the world of knife collecting!

I've got a good few Rough Riders, Imperials, an Opinel. I recently got a couple of Case as an early Christmas present to myself (all half whittlers)

Hi everyone, I’ve always carried a knife since I was a teenager (usually a SAK).
it was only recently when I was looking for a new one, that I realised how many beautiful knives there are.
I’ve now got the collecting bug, so here I am.
Great site by the way.

At 70 years old----it is nice to be referred to as a Newbie! I just like to piddle around with making things for other people and came upon 4 fillet knife kits that I purchased back in 98. I just put them together and it triggered a response in me to possibly make more. I put a picture of the finished ones up on Facebook and have several people telling me they would like to purchase one. Very nice of them but I have no desire to make them and try to profit from them. I retired a few years ago and really want to stay retired and make things when I want to make them---not when I have to. Hoping to try to gain knowledge and have read some of the posts. Some are very detailed and I admire the thorough explanations! I just had a message from a good friends wife that her husband (a good friend of mine) had seen my knives on Facebook and that she wanted to buy one from me to give to him for Christmas. I had to tell her that she couldn't because one of them was going to be a gift from me to him for Christmas. She then went on to tell me he was partial to the blue handled one. I had to let her know that I had actually made that one for my son. She said, well he would be really happy with any of them. Then---I got to thinking---maybe I could find that some blue material and make another one. So I have been doing some searching tonight for the same blue scale material. I am not 100% sure it is the same but found something called Dymalux in an indigo color that I think is close enough to what I used. Found a similar blade to use on texasknife.com. For pins, on my other knives, I used a brass material and in searching for those came across pins made of micarta. Now, I am wondering if I would be advised to use the micarta type of material or stick with the brass or something else. I am sure there is some info. on this site somewhere regarding what pins are best used but I haven't ran into that yet. Thanks for any help. John

At 70 years old----it is nice to be referred to as a Newbie! I just like to piddle around with making things for other people and came upon 4 fillet knife kits that I purchased back in 98. I just put them together and it triggered a response in me to possibly make more. I put a picture of the finished ones up on Facebook and have several people telling me they would like to purchase one. Very nice of them but I have no desire to make them and try to profit from them. I retired a few years ago and really want to stay retired and make things when I want to make them---not when I have to. Hoping to try to gain knowledge and have read some of the posts. Some are very detailed and I admire the thorough explanations! I just had a message from a good friends wife that her husband (a good friend of mine) had seen my knives on Facebook and that she wanted to buy one from me to give to him for Christmas. I had to tell her that she couldn't because one of them was going to be a gift from me to him for Christmas. She then went on to tell me he was partial to the blue handled one. I had to let her know that I had actually made that one for my son. She said, well he would be really happy with any of them. Then---I got to thinking---maybe I could find that some blue material and make another one. So I have been doing some searching tonight for the same blue scale material. I am not 100% sure it is the same but found something called Dymalux in an indigo color that I think is close enough to what I used. Found a similar blade to use on texasknife.com. For pins, on my other knives, I used a brass material and in searching for those came across pins made of micarta. Now, I am wondering if I would be advised to use the micarta type of material or stick with the brass or something else. I am sure there is some info. on this site somewhere regarding what pins are best used but I haven't ran into that yet. Thanks for any help. John

Welcome to Bladeforums Fishrman1, I enjoyed reading about your fillet knives. Let's see if I can help direct you to people who can best answer your question about which pin material might be best for your knives-

There are two ways- The short way is to click on this link- https://bladeforums.com/forums/shop-talk-bladesmith-questions-and-answers.741/

That will take you to the "Shop Talk- Bladesmith Question and Answers" sub-forum. You can start a new thread to ask your questions by clicking on the blue button on the right hand side of the screen near the top of the page that says "Post New Thread". After clicking that blue button, type in a thread title in the title box (something that references your question subject) then type your question in the box below that, then click the blue button that says "Create Thread". Your question will then appear near the top of the first page of that sub-forum for all to see and respond to.

The long way, which will also show you all the different sub-forums there are here at Bladeforums is to go to the top left hand corner of any page on this forum where the Bladeforums logo is, look under that logo and you will see a number of "buttons", the first one says "Categories", the second one says "Forums". If you click on the "Forums" button that will take you to the Bladeforums directory.

The first set of subforums are the "Knife Specific Discussion" forums. Under that are the "Knife Maker's Discussion" forums. Under "Knife Makers's Discussion" there is a listing for "General Knife Maker's Discussion", click on that, then click on "Shop Talk- Bladesmith Questions and Answers".

Last edited:
Welcome to Bladeforums Fishrman1, I enjoyed reading about your fillet knives. Let's see if I can help direct you to people who can best answer your question about which pin material might be best for your knives-

There are two ways- The short way is to click on this link- https://bladeforums.com/forums/shop-talk-bladesmith-questions-and-answers.741/

That will take you to the "Shop Talk- Bladesmith Question and Answers" sub-forum. You can start a new thread to ask your questions by clicking on the blue button on the right hand side of the screen near the top of the page that says "Post New Thread". After clicking that blue button, type in a thread title in the title box (something that references your question subject) then type your question in the box below that, then click the blue button that says "Create Thread". Your question will then appear near the top of the first page of that sub-forum for all to see and respond to.

The long way, which will also show you all the different sub-forums there are here at Bladeforums is to go to the top left hand corner of any page on this forum where the Bladeforums logo is, look under that logo and you will see a number of "buttons", the first one says "Catagories", the second one says "Forums". If you click on the "Forums" button that will take you to the Bladeforums directory.

The first set of subforums are the "Knife Specific Discussion" forums. Under that are the "Knife Maker's Discussion" forums. Under "Knife Makers's Discussion" there is a listing for "General Knife Maker's Discussion", click on that, then click on "Shop Talk- Bladesmith Questions and Answers".
Thanks for the tips and the help!

Good evening all,

Long time lurker, decided to register to join you all on this epic journey called knives. I own a lot of knives, usually they end up broken, worn out or in my sons room behind glass. He collects knives, after longtime thinking and thinking I decided to make my own knife. The fire started with a lot of youtube howto videos. Amazing what you can learn from Youtube. So I started my journey and bought some stuff but most things where already in my house. So starting was pretty cheap, the cheap isn't going to stick though.

So I bought a big piece of O1 steel, which I can harden at home, people say the hardening is pretty straight forward with O1. I can buy O1 just around the corner for the right amount of money, so that's nice. I still need to make a forge, but that is well explained on Youtube and easy to make, waiting for the white bricks as I type.

I am following RBO's video 'Cheap Amazon build' but with my own drawing/design. I kept the design fairly simple, I watch, learn and enjoy :) Rinse and repeat. Working on those punchlines at the moment, working with a file is harder then I thought. Keeping it square with beautiful 90 degrees on the back of the knife is really a delicate job. But I have all the time of the world :) Working the steel is kind of Zen, time flies by :D

A few days ago, I stumbled upon an AC motor. I call that destiny, my wife said it was coincidence. I think not. After some discussion she agreed, one of my unique argument was: we can use it for so many things :D And basically I didn't lie ;)

So I took a picture of the specs, in the evening I was googling the motor. The darn thing is actually a pretty good one. Some things to consider but hey you can't have it all.

Brand: Simotop NV
Build year: 2020 (freaking new, I know:D)
Motor type: MYT 90L-2
Single fase so it runs on 230V which is what I have at home, pretty awsome.
Dust/waterproof protection IP55
2.2 Kw (2.95 HP) which is great reading all the info online
Running mode: continues
RPM: 2765

A saw this youtube video
at around 4 minutes in he shows his pulley gear and tension system, quitte clever. I'm going to build something similar, looks workable. My assigned workspace (thanks to the misses) is 1 square meter. My current dedicated hobby room is full :( I have to go vertical with the grinder, I work standing so that's not an issue. I'm going for beltsize 50x2000mm. These belts are affordable where I live and always on the shelf of a couple of stores.

Motor at the bottom, snare goes up to a pully which shares the same axle as the drivewheel. That way I can put the motor in a closed compartment for dust and stuff with only the V snare coming out. He is not totally dust proof, I wonder if some magnets below the grinder will help with the dust and steel pieces that fly off the belt and steel.

So motor in, preparing the built. I'm trying to figure out the wheel and pulley sizes and which speed they provide. Maybe I need some help with that, but not at this moment :) Will search first.

Anyways, glad I found this forum :D

T.

Hello, I'm new on this forum. At the beginning sorry for every stupid question I will ask on forum. I started making small collection of knives, at this moment I have: Mora 2000, LM Wave+, Victorinox Huntsman and ordered Kizer Domin which will arrive soon. I'm afraid of sharpening every time I need to sharpen my new knife, I'm the worst human in hand sharpening. Hope I will be able to answer sometimes, not only asking :)

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, but was an occasional reader. My name is Marcin and I come from Poland. Always with a knife in my pocket.

My current EDC rotation are Hogue Deka and Fallkniven U2.

I'm mostly interested in folding knives.

Nice to meet you all!

Keep safe!
Raku

Back