We were all new here once

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, but was an occasional reader. My name is Marcin and I come from Poland. Always with a knife in my pocket.

My current EDC rotation are Hogue Deka and Fallkniven U2.

I'm mostly interested in folding knives.

Nice to meet you all!

Keep safe!
Raku
Welcome to BF (BladeForums) @Raku

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

I just signed up. Someone told me this is the best shot at finding this knife.. My dad passed away a few years ago and my mom is carrying around his broke Queen cutlery #96. I can’t find one like it anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated.

I just signed up. Someone told me this is the best shot at finding this knife.. My dad passed away a few years ago and my mom is carrying around his broke Queen cutlery #96. I can’t find one like it anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello Joe, welcome to Bladeforums. You came to the right place.

Here at Bladeforums that type of knife is referred to as a "traditional", and we have a sub-forum specifically for such knives with lots of members who are very knowledgeable on the topic of traditionals. Clicking on this link will take you there https://bladeforums.com/forums/traditional-folders-and-fixed-blades.773/

I think that sub-forum, and the members who frequent there, offer the best chance to find any information you are looking for regarding your fathers knife.

I suggest going to that forum and starting a new thread asking for help. I suggest mentioning the type of knife in your thread title. You can start a new thread by clicking on the blue "Post New Thread" button that appears near the top right hand side of the screen in that sub-forum.

Good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for.

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.
Hello Joe, welcome to Bladeforums. You came to the right place.

Here at Bladeforums that type of knife is referred to as a "traditional", and we have a sub-forum specifically for such knives with lots of members who are very knowledgeable on the topic of traditionals. Clicking on this link will take you there https://bladeforums.com/forums/traditional-folders-and-fixed-blades.773/

I think that sub-forum, and the members who frequent there, offer the best chance to find any information you are looking for regarding your fathers knife.

I suggest going to that forum and starting a new thread asking for help. I suggest mentioning the type of knife in your thread title. You can start a new thread by clicking on the blue "Post New Thread" button that appears near the top right hand side of the screen in that sub-forum.

Good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Thank you very much

Well said, being a noob I noticed most people are very helpful and willing to share their knowledge, but a few just seem to just hang around to make unhelpful, mean and sometimes plain insulting comments to questions or queries made buy people who just want to learn and share,.... Kris
How do I make a forum post? I'm new and trying to sell a few things to be able to not be dragged down under with my state covid reaction and I just couldn't figure out how to make a post. Can someone dm me or help me?

How do I make a forum post? I'm new and trying to sell a few things to be able to not be dragged down under with my state covid reaction and I just couldn't figure out how to make a post. Can someone dm me or help me?

Hello Etienne, welcome to Bladeforums.

First, in order to sell items here you need to purchase a membership. Purchasing a membership is required to prevent people from abusing the "For Sale" options here. Unfortunately there are a lot of people on the internet who are less than scrupulous and who would indeed abuse this feature of Bladeforums. Requiring people to purchase a membership in order to sell stuff here helps weed out the scammers and protects the other members of this forum.

To learn more about purchasing a membership go to the top of the screen of any page here at Bladeforums and click on the "Paid Subscriptions" button in the dark strip under the Bladeforums logo. You need at least a Gold membership to sell things here.

Also, you will want to read the rules regarding selling things here. You can find the rule by clicking this link- https://bladeforums.com/help/exchange-rules/

Then, if you have purchased at least a Gold membership, you can go to The Exchange by clicking this link- https://bladeforums.com/categories/for-sale-by-individuals.681/

Click on the option that best represents what you are selling, and start a new thread.

Hello All,

My name is Dave, and I've enjoyed knives, swords, axes, and other bladed tools for as long as I can remember. As a kid, I always had a little traditional folder or Swiss army knife lying around.

What brings me to BF is an interest in hand-sharpening techniques, fixed blades, and history. Probably more on the traditional side of things. I'm very interested in the material science and engineering that goes into blade construction. Mostly, I have experience working with mauls and hatchets.

I'm sort of a weirdo and like DIY and repurposing, so I've been turning kitchen knives I don't like into kitchen knives I do like. I found a brick outside that I've flattened off and use as a medium stone. If I can modify something I own or find it for free, I'm all over it. I've got a small setup with a #300 King stone, the brick, a hard Arkansas pocket stone, and a concrete parking block outside. I'm excited about a Baryonyx Manticore coming in the mail.

I move around a lot and travel light, so I don't have many knives currently; but I've been really enjoying seeing you folks' knives, swords, and tools. I'm not sure how much I'll post, but I look forward to learning and helping where I can.

Best,
Dave

This should be obvious to everyone, but there seem to be some who just can't help beating the stuffing out of new members, as it were. Those are the kind of people I tend to put on ignore, because it's doubtful that they have anything to say that I'm interested in.
Yep, same here. Such people make online forums less enjoyable, less useful.

Yep, same here. Such people make online forums less enjoyable, less useful.

That post you replied to was from 8 years ago.

And its easy for the new folks ... spend some time figuring out how the place works, and the norms and customs.

Like..."dont constantly open new threads" or "dont post nonsense"....or "only reply when you know what you are talking about"

Think of it as a friendly neighborhood pub you are visiting for the first time. You dont kick the door open and make an ass of yourself.

Some new folks do that, get the same reaction one would at the neighborhood pub, and then blame the patrons...never thinking it could be them to blame.

Just my thoughts.

This must be the place to introduce myself. Until now I have not considered myself a knife guy although I have always edc’d a knife. For years I owned an AG Russel one hand. I lost it a few years ago and I purchased a Spyderco Para Military that became my edc. For some reason after years of carrying the Spyderco I felt like going smaller so I picked up an inexpensive CRKT Squid to see if that would scratch the itch. I was so fascinated by that affordable little knife that it stirred an new interest in this hobby. I am definitely a newb as compared to most of the members here, but I hope there is room and patience for a guy who is looking to learn and make this new interest into the latest chapter on my journey. Here we go...

Just my thoughts.

As a noob to this site(not to knives) joining years after this original post I think these wise words stand the test of time and ring more true than ever before.” Knowledge can only be volunteered it can not be conscripted” - Dave Snowden
Nice to meet everyone, living in Los Angeles as a Chef and pocket knife collector glad to have found this community.

-Chef Matt

As a noob to this site(not to knives) joining years after this original post I think these wise words stand the test of time and ring more true than ever before.” Knowledge can only be volunteered it can not be conscripted” - Dave Snowden
Nice to meet everyone, living in Los Angeles as a Chef and pocket knife collector glad to have found this community.

-Chef Matt
Hi Chef. In which culinary tradition do you practice?

Last edited:
P

i was trained in classical French cuisine as my foundation and have done everything from molecular gastronomy up to today where I currently cook Vietnamese fusion.
-Chef Matt
Very cool. I have to ask...
What are the top 2-3 knives you personally use in your kitchen?
How about members of your brigade?

Very cool. I have to ask...
What are the top 2-3 knives you personally use in your kitchen?
How about members of your brigade?
I personally like Japanese as they seem to hold a better edge. My daily used knives are 7in shun santoku as I prefer them to a pointed chef knife for the majority of the work I do. I also use a miyabi utility knife if I need a sharp point and I have a yoshohiro one sided sushi knife as I cut a lot of sashimi. Those will get me through pretty much any daily task. A lot of my kitchen uses Japanese 8in chef knifes such as Mac which are also great. You can’t go wrong with some of the German knives if you are really abusing or breaking down a lot of proteins with bones as they will dull easy but bend and not chip and het back to sharp much easier as well. I only hone my knifes every few days and run on a 3,000/8,000 grit miyabi stone every month or so if using them a lot. Hope this answers your question!

I personally like Japanese as they seem to hold a better edge. My daily used knives are 7in shun santoku as I prefer them to a pointed chef knife for the majority of the work I do. I also use a miyabi utility knife if I need a sharp point and I have a yoshohiro one sided sushi knife as I cut a lot of sashimi. Those will get me through pretty much any daily task. A lot of my kitchen uses Japanese 8in chef knifes such as Mac which are also great. You can’t go wrong with some of the German knives if you are really abusing or breaking down a lot of proteins with bones as they will dull easy but bend and not chip and het back to sharp much easier as well. I only hone my knifes every few days and run on a 3,000/8,000 grit miyabi stone every month or so if using them a lot. Hope this answers your question!
Yes, chef, thanks!

That post you replied to was from 8 years ago.

And its easy for the new folks ... spend some time figuring out how the place works, and the norms and customs.

Like..."dont constantly open new threads" or "dont post nonsense"....or "only reply when you know what you are talking about"

Think of it as a friendly neighborhood pub you are visiting for the first time. You dont kick the door open and make an ass of yourself.

Some new folks do that, get the same reaction one would at the neighborhood pub, and then blame the patrons...never thinking it could be them to blame.

The analogy of a pub is a powerful one. That of a "friendly neighborhood pub" is inaccurate however. www.bladeforums.com is more like a tavern which one drives across town -- or two towns over for, to enjoy due to its unique offerings.

It's not Facebook. It's a specialized place -- like a pub which has all the Manchester United and Liverpool FC games on cable, plus Guinness Stout on tap (using nitrogen) at proper cellar temperature. It's worth the effort.

Like most pubs there are a handful of resident bullies and punks (analogous to "trolls" here in the Internet.) The "oh, don't mind Bob <eye roll>" types which other regulars tolerate, largely because they've been fixtures for so long. The whiny type that crave to denigrate, control and ultimately get over on others -- most particularly new patrons. Bobs appear to have never emotionally matured past middle school. Bobs are easy to identify (they themselves seem to be the only ones oblivious to this fact), but they're not always so easy to deal with. Their displays of psychological projection are at the same time both amusing and pathetic.

They're the guys that get whiny when someone new dares to start a new topic -- even if it results in new trading of fresh information and ideas. Simply skip over your topic? Such self-control cannot be expected of Bobs.

After encountering Bobs, many just move on in search of a more friendly setting where they can enjoy the game and some good suds in the company of other fans. Other are able to "go along" with Bobs and simply take their behavior in stride as if they had to in a military or job setting. The "eye rollers." Good for them. I admire such people in many respects.

Others simply ignore Bobs. Not always easy in real life, but a lot easier here online. Certain options in dealing with Bobs in real life simply don't exist online. You cannot for instance, drag a Bob out into the parking lot for a much deserved tune-up. Otherwise, "standing up to Bobs online" is usually a waste of time/energy and will result in you being 86ed.

With Bobs, it's always the other guy's fault. Always. The sooner one accepts that fact, and the sooner one identifies and learns to deal with Bobs (both here and in real life), the better.

Last edited:
Hey folks, I'm Robert (Bob). I just joined looking for perhaps some knife ID help. I certainly have plenty to read besides that. I'll be posting some pics of things along the way.

Hey folks, I'm Robert (Bob). I just joined looking for perhaps some knife ID help. I certainly have plenty to read besides that. I'll be posting some pics of things along the way.

Welcome to Bladeforums.

For knife identification there are a variety of options- you can ask here in General Discussion, where the most eyes are likely to see your post, or you can post here- https://bladeforums.com/forums/bernard-levines-knife-collecting-identification.691/

Or, depending on the brand or type of knife, you might get better results in one of the brand or type specific sub-forums.

Posting pics will certainly help. You will need to use a photo hosting site (I use Imgur).

Also, although you didn't mention it, just a heads up, in order to ask for the value of a knife you have to have at least a Gold (paid) membership (one of the benefits of a paid membership).

I hope you find what your looking for and enjoy your experience here.:)

Back