We were all new here once

Hey there fine folks. New guy from SC low country. Big fan of axe, sword, cleaver stuff but generally anything in the weapons realm catches my interest. Just exploring a rebirth of sorts into blade making after being out of the game for 20+ years.

I see tons of great info at the ready and I'll make use where I can. Thanks for such a great resource on all things bladed

Been a while since I popped in here, so hello to all newcomers.

Hello All, My name is Dave [...]

I'm not sure how much I'll post, but I look forward to learning and helping where I can.

Best,
Dave

Welcome Dave!

Another new guy here....interested in lots of things cutlery related and have been working on some old derelict axes lately. I am excited to be a member here

Welcome FLD!

I hope there is room and patience for a guy who is looking to learn and make this new interest into the latest chapter on my journey.

Always. Welcome!

Nice to meet everyone, living in Los Angeles as a Chef and pocket knife collector glad to have found this community.

-Chef Matt

Welcome Matt!

The analogy of a pub is a powerful one [...] is more like a tavern which one drives across town -- or two towns over for, to enjoy due to its unique offerings.

Definitely.

Guinness Stout on tap (using nitrogen)

You mean it's used for more than just added corrosion resistance in steel alloys??? :D

Like most pubs there are a handful of resident bullies/punks. The "oh, don't mind Bob <eye roll>" types which other regulars tolerate, largely because they've been fixtures for so long. [...] Bobs are easy to identify (they themselves seem to be the only ones oblivious to this fact), but can be not so easy to deal with.

A fair point.

Hey folks, I'm Robert (Bob). I just joined looking for perhaps some knife ID help. I certainly have plenty to read besides that. I'll be posting some pics of things along the way.

We have to admit the irony here! Welcome Bob! But please don't turn out to be a "Bob" haha. ;)

And hey, I just dealt with a Bob (not a "Bob") and he was 1 straight shooter.

Hey there fine folks. New guy from SC low country.

Welcome New guy from SC low country. :thumbsup:

Been a while since I popped in here, so hello to all newcomers.

Welcome Dave!

Welcome FLD!

Always. Welcome!

Welcome Matt!

Definitely.

You mean it's used for more than just added corrosion resistance in steel alloys??? :D

A fair point.

We have to admit the irony here! Welcome Bob! But please don't turn out to be a "Bob" haha. ;)

And hey, I just dealt with a Bob (not a "Bob") and he was 1 straight shooter.

Welcome New guy from SC low country. :thumbsup:
Pardon me for being so direct, but are you a Catholic cleric or religious by chance? Some take "Mary" as their middle or last name, plus the Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus and Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum of course? It would be really cool to meet a Catholic cleric/religious who also made knives! Sorta like the Jesuits who make caskets or the Trappists who make fruitcakes... :cool:

Hey new guys, don’t sign up and do what @GlazeDFeeT is doing. It’s simply ridiculous to bring back threads from 2002!!

@GlazeDFeeT also no linking to non supporting vendors.

It appears the ban hammer was struck.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.
As a new member of forum, thanks. I avoid forums where people just want to point out what I don't know. I'm sorry in advance if I post something on the wrong thread. I learn fast. Be Well.

S SanLuisObispo , people who believe as I do are sometimes referred to as "sedevacantist" or "Traditionalist Catholics", though my beliefs are a bit different from your "standard" "Traditionalist Catholic". I go back to Pope Clement XII. I am not ordained or consecrated.

hello to all of Switzerland, new to you, amateur and passionate about knives. I apologize in advance for my mistakes in English, looking forward to sharing a common passion.

Can I respond, even though I am not in Switzerland? ;) Welcome to Bladeforums!

As a new member of forum, thanks. I avoid forums where people just want to point out what I don't know. I'm sorry in advance if I post something on the wrong thread. I learn fast. Be Well.

You can be assured that what you don't know will be pointed out around here, but here we (most of us) try to do so in a kind and helpful way. Welcome to Bladeforums!

Hello there.

I've been a member for some months and posted a few threads already, but I'd like to ask which if any might be the appropriate subforum to discuss designs for home-finishing factory blades/blanks. I've been looking around a bit and can't figure it out.

I'm a newcomer, hello!

I have to figure out how to URL a photo.

Can an ebay auction HTML be posted?

JS

Welcome Jake.

To post pics you'll need to use a photo hosting site (I use imgur.com).

And it's against the rules here at Bladeforums to post a link to Ebay.

S SanLuisObispo , people who believe as I do are sometimes referred to as "sedevacantist" or "Traditionalist Catholics", though my beliefs are a bit different from your "standard" "Traditionalist Catholic". I go back to Pope Clement XII. I am not ordained or consecrated.

Can I respond, even though I am not in Switzerland? ;) Welcome to Bladeforums!

You can be assured that what you don't know will be pointed out around here, but here we (most of us) try to do so in a kind and helpful way. Welcome to Bladeforums!

Of course you can :) thank you very much .

Hi
Good Day!
For the past few months, I am looking for some Japanese knives to buy for my kitchen and thought to have a detailed discussion on them before I buy them.
I have joined a lot of discussions already and planned to make the first Japanese knife for my kitchen.
Before it, I am using some local knives but heard a lot about Japanese knives.
I am thinking to buy a KUMA Damascus Japanese knife after reading suggestions on this website https://japaneseknivesblog.com/
So anyone of you used it already or have any idea about its use?
I would love to know your suggestions.
Thanks.
Jessica!

Welcome to Bladeforums Jessica.

There is a sub-forum here at Bladeforums dedicated specifically to kitchen knives. You can find it by clicking this link- https://bladeforums.com/forums/kitchen-cutlery-tools.842/

If you don't find what you're looking for, you can always start a new thread and ask the community for help and suggestions. To start a new thread, first make sure you're logged in, then click on the blue button that says "Post New Thread" on the right hand side of the screen near the top of the page of the sub-forum you want to post in, type in a thread title, type in your post, and then submit.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Welcome Jake.

To post pics you'll need to use a photo hosting site (I use imgur.com).

And it's against the rules here at Bladeforums to post a link to Ebay.

Possibly I could send the photos to someone who would be kind enough to post them at custom hand made knives.

Possibly.

JS

Hola a Todos, soy un chico de España que hace colección de navajas Marineras, estoy recopilado la informacion que pueda encontrar en Todos los Foros que he podido visitar de todos los continentes, y de de númerosos Idiomas..
Un saludo a Todos los presentes..
El nombre de el Libro - Recopilatorio que me gustaria hacer seria :
" THE BOOK of the RIGGING KNIFE - La Navaja Marinera - Couteau le London - Ankermesser"
Gracias por aceptarme un saludo desde Bilbao

:)

Hello, I am Spanish Collector of the Salior knife...
Hola a Todos, soy un chico de España que hace colección de navajas Marineras, estoy recopilado la informacion que pueda encontrar en Todos los Foros que he podido visitar de todos los continentes, y de de númerosos Idiomas..
Un saludo a Todos los presentes..
El nombre de el Libro - Recopilatorio que me gustaria hacer seria :
" THE BOOK of the RIGGING KNIFE - La Navaja Marinera - Couteau le London - Ankermesser"
Gracias por aceptarme un saludo desde Bilbao

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

UPDATE: It's been over 8 years since I started this thread, and I thought it was time for an update.

When I started this thread back in 2012, new members were sometimes treated a bit rough. But things have changed since then. These days most active members are eager to help new members. So I don't want you to get the impression that you're entering a lions den where the members are just waiting to bite your head off. I think you'll find the vast majority of members to be friendly and helpful. So welcome, and enjoy :).
I'm grateful that you feel that way, and that things have changed. I literally just joined today, because I wanted to learn some basics about building my own knives. I've been customizing blades for about a year now, but I want to transition into making my own handles, sheaths, and eventually my own blades. What forum on here is most applicable to that? I looked around a little bit, and everything seems to be about collecting. Is this not the best website for those things?

Back