We were all new here once

Hey everyone just wanted to make a first post. I'm a new member but not new to The Forum as we all probably have Googled for information this forum comes up a lot so I decided time to become a member.

Wise choice!

Approved.png

It is good to keep in mind as well that although someone may be new to the forum that they may have spent years lurking around on the internet learning about knives and developing their own taste.

It is good to keep in mind as well that although someone may be new to the forum that they may have spent years lurking around on the internet learning about knives and developing their own taste.

That's me. I've only been surfing the net for about 14 years or so. And I lurked for over a year before I ever subscribed or commented on any forum.
I also actually read the TOS and stuff for FB and clicked, "I Do NOT accept". It took me a few hours to read it all and I was timed out 3 or 4 times while reading it. I have mentioned that several times in different places including YT, and not one person has said that they read it all - not one.

I have been a member for a long time but I've never posted. I came here today looking for SAK information. I'll try to do better.

I myself am new to the forum. I have learned a fair amount in a short time. There is always something to teach an older dog.

Have been here for a few months. Just don't post much at all. I want to thank all of you for being willing to share your knowledge, tips, tricks snd insights. I'm not new to knives. But, really didnt and don't know much. You all have lessened my ignorance an I appreciate it very much.

Have been here for a few months. Just don't post much at all. I want to thank all of you for being willing to share your knowledge, tips, tricks snd insights. I'm not new to knives. But, really didnt and don't know much. You all have lessened my ignorance an I appreciate it very much.

I have learned a lot here also. The best thing is that I found out about CPK (Carothers Performance Knives), and Wicked Edge sharpeners!

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

UPDATE: It's been over 8 years since I started this thread, and I thought it was time for an update.

When I started this thread back in 2012, new members were sometimes treated a bit rough. But things have changed since then. These days most active members are eager to help new members. So I don't want you to get the impression that you're entering a lions den where the members are just waiting to bite your head off. I think you'll find the vast majority of members to be friendly and helpful. So welcome, and enjoy :).
Have to admit it quite daunting when you first arrive. I have only really been "into" knives seriously within the last six months & thought it about time that I broadened my knowledge by speaking to others, so I will work my way through some threads & try to make some sensible comments & ask some sensible questions.

Mod's please relocate this post if there is a better location for it. Thanks.
Hi everyone I'm new here well kind of new. I joined back in March and kind f lost track of a few different forums I joined. The others I was on just don't seam to be working so here I am. I'm fairly new to knife making and still learning. I've made a few and they have turned out pretty good in my opinion as are the opinions of those who have got them. I've also honing my skills on making sheaths. I'm currently experimenting with etching as I want to put a logo/makers mark on my blades. I'd post a pic of latest knife I've made. I'm donation it to the local fire department for their annual fund raiser raffle. But I can't figure out how to download it from my PC to here. Any help on this would be grateful.

Mod's please relocate this post if there is a better location for it. Thanks.
Hi everyone I'm new here well kind of new. I joined back in March and kind f lost track of a few different forums I joined. The others I was on just don't seam to be working so here I am. I'm fairly new to knife making and still learning. I've made a few and they have turned out pretty good in my opinion as are the opinions of those who have got them. I've also honing my skills on making sheaths. I'm currently experimenting with etching as I want to put a logo/makers mark on my blades. I'd post a pic of latest knife I've made. I'm donation it to the local fire department for their annual fund raiser raffle. But I can't figure out how to download it from my PC to here. Any help on this would be grateful.

Welcome to Bladeforums Tooln, you came to the right place, both in forums, and threads (for making introductions) :) .

In order to post a picture you need to use an image hosting site, I use Imgur.com. You sign up an account (it's totally free), load your pics into your Imgur album from your computer, then use the BBCode that Imgur assigns to each individual pic to post them here. Now I'm rather computer illiterate, so I can't explain the fast, simple way to transfer a pic from Imgur to Bladeforums, instead I just write the BBCode down on a piece of paper and type it into my post here on the forum. Someone more computer savy might be able to explain an easier way.

Don't get discouraged if you don't figure it out right away, it took me a bit of trial and error, and a little frustration, but it was worth it.

Perhaps this thread on posting pics might help- https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-do-i-post-pictures-from-a.1394713/

And here's the official thread for practicing posting pics- https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...sources-use-this-thread-for-practice.1788522/

And just in case you didn't know, there are a few sub-forums specifically for knife makers- https://www.bladeforums.com/categories/general-knife-makers-discussion.806/

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Here's the pic.
iEnhyrV.jpg

Great job :thumbsup: . Both on the pic, and the knife. Any chance we could see the blade? And did you make the sheath as well?
Here's a pic of the blade. I started with a blank of 1095, cut a pattern, ground the bevel and yes I made the sheath also. Not perfect but it turned out ok. It's also sharp enough to shave with. I also made the display stand
UA120uj.jpg

Here's a pic of the blade. I started with a blank of 1095, cut a pattern, ground the bevel and yes I made the sheath also. Not perfect but it turned out ok. It's also sharp enough to shave with. I also made the display stand
UA120uj.jpg

Nice work all the way around. I didn't really notice the stand until after I posted, but that's pretty cool as well. Someone at the raffle should be happy.

Here's what I have in mind for a logo/makers mark. I've a guy making me a stencil. Now its a matter of figuring out the vinegar salt ratio and voltage to etch. Getting good results with 1 cup vinegar, teaspoon salt and 18 volts on a test blade. I want to experiment more with the stencil once I get them.
8yVjU9y.jpg

Hi all, new potential blade maker here in Madison, MS, I haven’t made one yet - just bought a belt grinder and metal portaband saw and working in building a mount. Will be working out of the workshop side of my garage with two of my boys (17 and 12) who got hooked on FIF and then got me watching it as well.

They need a useful hobby anyway rather than laying around, so I decided to blow my new guitar money I had been squirreling away on blade making equipment. I hadn’t saved much but decided to get something that will tide them over and get them some practice. And truth be told, I could use both tools anyway.

Maybe a two burner forge and/or drill press for birthday depending on price (recommendations on these?). Anvil will have to wait until Christmas unless I can find something close by in the $100 range.

I haven’t found any local steel here in the Jackson metro area so it looks like I will have to order some 1084 bar stock online, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading, hopefully in a week or so I will have a picture to post.

Back