weak tips

charels

BANNED
I have owned 5 enduras during my time, and every single one has had the tip broken off. I don't abuse the knifes in any way, but after a hard days work, the tips just seem to dissappear. Don't get me wrong, i love the endura or i would would buy something else, but is there a spyderco that is in the same size/price range as an endura, but with a beefier tips? thanks

p.s. I've owned 5 enduras, but that's not because they all broke or something, i gave them away to friends and family

Charels - Were they plain edge or serrated?

We've done some recent changes on the serrations at the tip, lowering the rockwell of the new ATS-55 back to 59-61 and working on ways to "beef" up the tip, but this is difficult and still leave a fine point.

The Pro-Grips are a drop point design and are stronger at the tip. The Rescue is also very beefy at the tip. The Goddard is a little wider at the tip than the Endura.

sal

I'd echo Sal's thoughts on the Pro-Grip. I have an older Hunter that's gotta be 12 years old with no damage to the tip after about 5 years of daily carry.

If you want a longer blade with a stronger tip, you might look at the Goddard Lightweight. You might also find the shape of the tip of the Native less prone to breakage depending upon what you use it for.

Ben

------------------
"If you're upside down and burning, you probably went too fast."

oh my god, i'm talking to sal!!!! you are my hero sir. so i guess i should address you as mr. glesser, but anyways, all of my knives were serrated, and i am looking in to the pro-grip as we speak. thank you for the info. BTW tips broken tips and all, i love your knives sir. now how about a fixed fighter???????

Hey Charels
I have owned an Endura and a Goddard lightweight and have used both of them on the job( Law enforcement) I have found the Goddard is the best for me . The point is strong enough and still pointy enough for fine work. I have carried my Goddard for about two years now daily and it has never let me down once. I have used it for numerous tasks from cutting rope to testing of narcotics. It was even wounded in the line of duty when I was making a forced entry into a drug house . (A quick call to Spyderco and I had a new clip in two days) I would recomend the Goddard Lieght weight to any one who wants a good hard working lightweight knife.
ROYO

------------------
All it takes for the forces of evil to rule the world is for good men to do nothing...Edmund Burke

Charels - Thanx for the kind words. Here, I'm just sal. It's pretty casual. We seem to attract an interesting group of regulars. Sorta family like.

Thanx for visitin'.

sal

I'll second the Goddard lightweight choice - nice beefy edge.

but I have one problem with it: the hole in the blade is too far off IMHO - making it a little bit slower to open then, say, the Police or Endura.

my suggestion: I know you wanted the same price range, but for the price of only 3 Enduras (give or take a few bucks) get yourself a Starmate. best folder Spyderco has ever made (MHO) and good candidate for best folder for the money - ever.

Now - if you break the tip of the Starmate - you should consider a career change...

I'm sure Sal will take you as his chief QA expert - knife demolition expert...
smile.gif

hope this helps.

Sal,

How recently was the rockwell on the Endura ATS 55 lowered to 59 - 61?

Dean

------------------
"When I get a little money I buy [knives]; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." Erasmus (slightly edited)

Dean - We began about a 6 months ago and are still bringing down different models. ATS-55 is a new steel and as most "new" developments, need time to work out "glitches" and to understand the new material.

Every steel (& non-steel) has it's drawbacks and lessons to learn.

sal

Back