Weber or Holland Grill?

I already have a grill at home, it was made for me by a friend that is a welder, from an oil drum, but the burner is made like a Weber grill. I'm moving to another house where I'll need a grill I'm looking to buy something good but within the 400-600 dollar range. I am looking at the Weber Genesis Silver and Gold models and the Holland Heritage. Most folks I know prefer the Holland but I am leaning towards the Weber because of the adjustable burners and familiarity with a similar grill. I also like their warranty better and than I can get all attachments at my local Home Depot, but I am impressive with the Holland design and have not ruled it out. Also, can you get a rotisserie attachment for all Weber Genesis models or only the 3 burner models, I'd like to know because I would like to have a rotisserie.

Would appreciate any opinions from anyone that has owned/used both Weber and Holland grills, thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info, I forgot to mention I am open to other brands, I'm just leaning toward Weber bc of rep and previous experiece with simliar set up. Do the Vermont Casting grills have "flavorizer" bars?

I also forgot to mention that I want an LP grill, no natural gas or charcoal, and I want a grill that doesn't flare-up, Holland or Weber style.

Weber has the best warranty and customer service in the grill market bar none. Go to any BBQ competition and ask the pros what grills many of them recommend for home use and the great majority will tell you Weber.

Stay away from Vermont Castings. Everything I have heard about them says they are a POS. They look OK but it's performance that counts.
YMMV.

Alex

P.S. I have a Genesis silver with the stainless grills and stainless flavorizer bars and I love it. Very even heating and gets super hot.

I was pretty much leaning towards Weber from the beginning, but I would really like to hear some input from the Holland crowd or of someone that owns both.

alex said:
P.S. I have a Genesis silver with the stainless grills and stainless flavorizer bars and I love it. Very even heating and gets super hot.

+1.

I love to grill, not to be confused with, "I'm great at grilling." ;) We just got a Weber Genesis Silver B and it's been fantastic and it alone has dramatically improved the cooking that comes to the table.

Also, it was reasonably priced for what you get. Mine's got porcelain "flavorizers" that work just fine, I've had no trouble with flare-ups. The porcelain coated grill surface is really excellent. And thank God Weber (and pretty much everyone else) has finally switched the work surfaces from those little wooden slats to a heat resistant composite plastic. I used to get so sick of those things getting soft from the weather.

I know the charcoal guys are die-hards and I don't blame them. But as far as convenience goes and not having to wait for the coals to be ready the gas grill is it.

I've owned a few nice grills over the years. Most are very servicable, but for a gas grill it's hard to beat a Weber Genesis or the Ducane (which offers a lifetime warranty). They cook differently but are both very good.

For charcoal, the Big Green Egg.

The TEC infareds are pretty nice, I will be trying one out later this year. They cook extremely well.

OK, I've been grill shopping and have decided to get a Weber, thanks for all of the input. However, I can't decided which model I want, I'm thinking about the Genesis Silver A or B. The A is more the size I need but am not sure if 2 burners is enough, should I get the three burner model??

Big Green Egg Big Green Egg Big Green Egg! BGE rulz! go Big Green! Accept no substitute. Join or die, can you do any less?

I just bought the Silver A and it gets Very hot Very fast. It will deck it over 600 degrees very fast. If the Silver A is the size you need, I think it will work just fine for you.

I used to have a Holland grill and I wound up selling it. It cooked great, but it was very sloooooooooow cooking. An hour to cook hamburgers is just too long. I love my new Weber! :)

I don't mean to resurrect a dead thread but...

Thanks a lot for the info, I may later buy a Weber Propane for my main house, but I have really been thinking, since this grill is for a second home I think charcoal is probably my best bet. SO

I've checked out the Big Green Egg, look very nice but are too expensive in my opinion for a charcoal grill for a second home.

I am thinking about getting either a 22.5" Weber One-Touch Silver or Gold. I'd appreciate any opinions on either of these grills and like to know which one you guys think is better, also are there any other good charcoal grills I may need to consider. Thanks

I've got a Weber One-Touch Platinum, and I definitely recommend the Gold over the Silver. After a serious grilling session the ash catcher can get nearly full, so I can't see myself using the pan on the Silver. The hinged cooking grate is also useful if you slow-cook frequently. I chose the Platinum over the Gold because I need a table next to the grill anyways, and the rack underneath is handy for holding a charcoal bag and chimney starter. The lid holder is very handy, too.

Look no further than Weber for a metal charcoal grill. George Stephen invented the idea of the kettle-shaped grill in the 50's and founded Weber-Stephen. They're still the best and will easily last you a lifetime. Get some Lazzari mesquite lump charcoal and a chimney starter, and you're good to go.

OK the main thing about the grill I don't understand is how the ash catcher works vs. the pan on the Silver, I am used to Charcoal grills that you line with aluminum foil and pick it up with the ashes afterwards, does the one-touch with the ash catcher make cleaning that much easier.

The ash catcher is like an aluminum pot that attaches under the vents. It disconnects easily and you just dump out the ash. The One-Touch Silver has a pan to catch the ash, but if it's windy the ash will blow all over the place. The vent ring and ash catcher also gives a little more protection against wind blowing into the vents.

The ash catcher also makes cleaning the inside of the kettle easier, if you ever want to do so. Remove the grates, pour some boiling water around the kettle, spray some cleaner/degreaser and scrub with a brush, rinse with more boiling water. The dirty water falls in the ash catcher and you just empty it when you're done.

With all due respect, unless you don't like cooking with charcoal, don't discount the BGE. Nothing, and I mean nothing, cooks as well. It is worth every penny. It is expensive, but will never rust out or require much in the way of maintenance. I've replaced several fairly expensive grills in the time I've owned the BGE.

Gas is a great time saver, but lacks a flavor you will miss after using charcoal.

After reading this forum I checked out the BGE (I'd never heard of it before) and I must say I was very impressed with the Big Green Egg and may decide to buy one later for my main house, thanks for the recommendation. But like I said this is for a second home and my primary reason for deciding on charcoal is I can get one cheaper than propane. I've got 2 Propane and 1 Charcoal grills at home (all homemade by welders, no namebrands) so I am familiar with both types of cooking, just don't want to put that much in a grill for the second house want to keep it around $100 if I can, and no I don't want to try to drag any of those big grills from my main house way up there :D

Do give it a try, you will not be disappointed. It lights fast, cooks fast, and virtually eliminates flare ups. I was astounded at the difference in flavor; it is very consistent in cooking.

I don't recommend the vermont castings. I have the 400 (?) i.e. pretty blue one, I believe that I bought it from the Home Depot for around $400. The grill has some serious cold spots, and it seems the front of the grill cooks too fast. The side cover has become deformed and it has burnt away the pretty blue paint on the top of one side. I also found out it is made in canada, so I am going to return it.

My father has been using this the Weber Genesis Silver grill for many years and is very pleased. so I can safely recommend this grill. but I can still advise you to another kind of grill https://bestgrill.reviews/best-smoker-grill-combo/, very good value for money. And plus to everything, no matter how much the grill costs, it looks very cool.

Last edited:
Back