Wegner liner lock durability

I recently bought a full size Wegner, and have been really impressed by the heft and strength of this knife. However I am concerned about the liner lock mechanism (this is my first liner lock knife). The liner stops at the mid-point of the blade, and it does not look like it would take a lot of use to get it to move all the way over to the right. Is this mechanism in fact more durable than it appears? I also have Calypso Jr. lwt and for some reason I don't worry about the lock back like I do the more visible liner lock. If it does move over to the right and start to develop vertical play in the blade, will Spyderco be able to refubish it inexpensively?

Regards,
Rick

Rick,

First of all, welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

About the Wegner, if it seats halfway through the tang, then it's okay. In the event that it moves all the way to the other side (right) you can send it in to Spyderco and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to fix it for you.
smile.gif
I'm not sure, but I don't think they'll charge for it.

Dan

My Wegner is relatively new so I can't comment on its lock, but I have read other posts where people state that with regular use for a year, their Wegner still locks up fine.

------------------
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the foolish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." Ezekial 25:17-Samuel L. Jackson

[This message has been edited by Soloman (edited 03-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Soloman (edited 03-02-2000).]

I've used a large Wegner for ~18 months now with no problems. It is a very well designed knife, both mechanically and ergonomically. I see the threads on liner lock failures too, but I don't quite see the problem. Makes me wonder what these people do to these folders to cause failure. Certainly not all liner locks are created equal, but my Wegner is just as tight and solid as it was fresh out of the box.

Have carried and used my Wegner for over 16 months. Skinned and de-boned several critters, lock still working just fine.

I don't (currently) own a Wegner, but I have noticed the Spyderco liner locks I've examined have the blade tang flush with the handle scales, which may be the best way to design a liner lock. In other words, many liner locks have blade tangs that are separated from the handle (or inner liners) by thich teflon washers. In that case, it seems to me, when the lock wears, it may move past the blade tang. If the tang is flush with the scales, the scales will stop the liner moving over too far.

Don't know if this helps, just my observation.
Jim

Thanks for your input. After your responses I decided I should just stop being so anal about it, and just enjoy the knife.

Regards,
Rick

Back